Author Topic: Good Things People Say on the Internet  (Read 111527 times)

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
Re: Good Things People Say on the Internet
« Reply #465 on: June 09, 2018, 10:57:14 pm »
I mean, you can respect someone but not respect them more than you value feeding your kids. I know people who regularly shoplift at the self-checkout, stealing about a quarter of their basket-load, so that they have enough to feed their families. So, uh, yeah.

I always use a checkout with a person there. If there is no choice but to use an automated station I steal something out of principle. To increase the costs of automated checkouts compared to staffed checkouts.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #466 on: June 10, 2018, 12:18:42 am »
That doesn't increase the cost of automated checkouts, it just reduces the wages of the employees.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Art Vandelay

« Reply #467 on: June 10, 2018, 12:41:59 am »
I feel like I'm the only person on the planet who likes the self checkout. Maybe (definitely) I'm just antisocial, but less mandatory human interaction is always better in my book.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #468 on: June 10, 2018, 12:58:17 am »
I don't mind self checkout, depending on how much and what I've bought I often like to use it as it is faster than waiting in a line. And the self checkout rarely has lines in the nearby store so it's convenient for the people who prefer it.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #469 on: June 10, 2018, 04:45:54 am »
I'll often use self-checkout, if only because it means I can get completely separate receipts for different parts of my purchase without feeling awkward asking a cashier for such.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #470 on: June 10, 2018, 10:42:08 am »
I feel like I'm the only person on the planet who likes the self checkout. Maybe (definitely) I'm just antisocial, but less mandatory human interaction is always better in my book.

Trust me, brother, you are so not alone, it ain't even funny.  Especially here in America, where companies (esp. Walmart) seem to want their cashiers to be as nosy "friendly" as possible.  Never am I less relaxed than when I know someone is being artificially happy and/or curious around me.  It freaks me the fuck out when they try to be my friend.  Like, dude, I just fucking met you, I only know your name because its clipped on to your shirt, stop acting like we're best buds.

I immediately tense up if I know I'm buying something at a store without self checkouts.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #471 on: June 11, 2018, 01:38:21 pm »
I mean, you can respect someone but not respect them more than you value feeding your kids. I know people who regularly shoplift at the self-checkout, stealing about a quarter of their basket-load, so that they have enough to feed their families. So, uh, yeah.

I always use a checkout with a person there. If there is no choice but to use an automated station I steal something out of principle. To increase the costs of automated checkouts compared to staffed checkouts.

I do the same. I won’t let those god darn machines take their jerbs.
Does anyone take Donald Trump seriously, anymore?

Offline Kanzenkankaku

• The Beast
  • Dreamer/Lightner
    • Mastadon Account
« Reply #472 on: June 12, 2018, 06:34:17 pm »
We must fight back against the mechanical menace before its too late and they Terminate all of us!

Offline Skybison

• The Beast
« Reply #473 on: June 30, 2018, 12:52:07 am »
My second reason for writing this column is that the same issues surround another online sensation: the output of the YouTube vlogger PewDiePie. His absurdist babble, adored by his 53 million mostly-teenage followers, evolved into giving a Nazi salute, inserting clips of Hitler’s speeches and images of swastikas into his shows, paying two Indian men to hold up a sign reading “Death to All Jews” and pondering whether Leslie Jones (the actor who was brutally bullied by Yiannopolous and his followers for the crime of being black and female in a public place) should be compared to Harambe the gorilla.

Several people have explained to me that it was all just fun; he didn’t mean it. Which, to my mind, is exactly the problem. When the Holocaust, nazism and racism are so abstracted from reality that they become just another expression of ironic detachment, when moral norms collapse into knowing laughter, our defences against offline horrors disintegrate.

Breaking down the barriers of acceptability through humour is now a deliberate tactic of the far right. PewDiePie might see his “jokes” as harmless and fun, but they mesh with agendas that are neither. The Nazi website the Daily Stormer notes that PewDiePie “could be doing all this only to stir things up and get free publicity … it doesn’t matter, since the effect is the same; it normalizes Nazism, and marginalizes our enemies
.”

Offline Lana Reverse

• The Beast
« Reply #474 on: June 30, 2018, 10:22:17 am »
My second reason for writing this column is that the same issues surround another online sensation: the output of the YouTube vlogger PewDiePie. His absurdist babble, adored by his 53 million mostly-teenage followers, evolved into giving a Nazi salute, inserting clips of Hitler’s speeches and images of swastikas into his shows, paying two Indian men to hold up a sign reading “Death to All Jews” and pondering whether Leslie Jones (the actor who was brutally bullied by Yiannopolous and his followers for the crime of being black and female in a public place) should be compared to Harambe the gorilla.

Several people have explained to me that it was all just fun; he didn’t mean it. Which, to my mind, is exactly the problem. When the Holocaust, nazism and racism are so abstracted from reality that they become just another expression of ironic detachment, when moral norms collapse into knowing laughter, our defences against offline horrors disintegrate.

Breaking down the barriers of acceptability through humour is now a deliberate tactic of the far right. PewDiePie might see his “jokes” as harmless and fun, but they mesh with agendas that are neither. The Nazi website the Daily Stormer notes that PewDiePie “could be doing all this only to stir things up and get free publicity … it doesn’t matter, since the effect is the same; it normalizes Nazism, and marginalizes our enemies
.”

Apparently, a website that thought Ian McKellen was being serious when he said half of Hollywood is gay knows the impact of humor now.
Beware those who hate the rich more than they love the poor.

Offline Skybison

• The Beast
« Reply #475 on: June 30, 2018, 12:40:04 pm »
Yes they do.  The can see where their new recruits are coming from, and it's the places where racist and sexist "jokes" are normalized and they can brush off their propaganda as "ironic" if they get called out.

Offline Lana Reverse

• The Beast
« Reply #476 on: June 30, 2018, 05:09:22 pm »
Yes they do.  The can see where their new recruits are coming from, and it's the places where racist and sexist "jokes" are normalized and they can brush off their propaganda as "ironic" if they get called out.

Even if we assume the Daily Stormer is being both truthful and accurate, assuming it to be that simple doesn't make any sense. People have been telling offensive jokes for decades and it didn't normalize far-right ideology. We have to consider other factors.
Beware those who hate the rich more than they love the poor.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #477 on: July 12, 2018, 01:34:13 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVoNQRzAS7U

So it is October 8th [2015], and the E-Bible Fellowship assured us that the world was supposed to have ended yesterday. They promised us it would be annihilated, and yet we're still here. Last week, they were all supposed to be raptured as the global economy collapsed amid an asteroid impact and none of that happened either.

Now, as far as I know, this is only the third time that the E-Bible Fellowship has failed in one of their end-of-the-world predictions, but as they have shown a consistent record of complete failure with no reason why anyone should ever have believed them in the first place, then I cordially invite them to shut the fuck up.

The same goes for the rest of you religious right Republican ideologues out there. I was always told that yours was supposed to be a just God of love and forgiveness. Why do you base so many of your publicized behaviors on prejudicial bigotry? Why is the word "intolerance" almost exclusively associated with the word "religious"? Why is it that the only time you ever show forgiveness is when one of your own needs to escape prosecution and will not be held accountable?

Stop wishing for the end of the world and stop trying to bring it about. Learn how to enjoy living and maybe let other people do that, too. They have that right, you know. If you say you want "small government" then why are you trying to legislate everyone else's most intimate personal decisions? Stop trying to stop other people from enjoying their lives and figure out how you can do that too, without imposing on anyone else.

Sex, for example, doesn't have to be a criminal or immoral act. It can be a respectable, mutually enjoyable activity even if you do it right. And if you can't do that, then it's OK to take matters into your own hands.

Why do you pretend to be oppressed when you're not allowed to oppress other people? Why do your politicians say that an atheist can't give an invocation unless it can be followed by a Christian prayer? Why would you say that Muslims can't hold public office unless they swear on a Bible? Why do you insist on erecting monuments that were never historical or posting slogans that violate every prong of the Lemon test? If you want to protect the nation from shariah law, learn to respect the First Amendment. That's why it's there.

Treat other races, cultures, and religions the way you want them to treat you, including when you want them to leave you alone, and don't allow yourself privileges that you would deny to anyone else. I believe the symbol of your hypocrisy had something to say about that, did he not? (Romans 13)

And stop lying to other people's kids in our classrooms on science, sex, social studies, and the environment. You have the right to be wrong and I won't deny you that, but just keep it to yourself, because they have the right to be right and to be taught things that are actually true so that our future will seem less reflective of Donald Trump and more like Elon Musk. So stop impeding that and all other progress, get out of the way, and shut the fuck up.

Quote from: Romans 13:1-7
1 Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. 2 Consequently, whoever rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves. 3 For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and you will be commended. 4 For the one in authority is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for rulers do not bear the sword for no reason. They are God’s servants, agents of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer. 5 Therefore, it is necessary to submit to the authorities, not only because of possible punishment but also as a matter of conscience.

6 This is also why you pay taxes, for the authorities are God’s servants, who give their full time to governing. 7 Give to everyone what you owe them: If you owe taxes, pay taxes; if revenue, then revenue; if respect, then respect; if honor, then honor.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #478 on: July 12, 2018, 05:52:10 pm »
The whole "place X in the bagging area" gives me the shits, particularly now there's no more bags.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #479 on: July 12, 2018, 07:27:53 pm »
Or how Walmart's would hold shit up until you put shit into the bagging area...or, it decided to completely shit itself and think you're throwing shit on there when you're just digging items out of your cart.  Yeah, they disabled that at the one near where I live, and the self checkout has become a much faster experience.  The little TVs they have showing camera footage are a nice touch, too.  Especially since it shows how hard their little neural networks are working to identify people in the live feed.  It actually does a pretty good job, all things considered.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.