Community > Politics and Government

First Trump came for Portland

(1/15) > >>

Skybison:
So it looks like Trump is going full fascist. 

In Portland unidentified federal police with the Department of homeland security are going around in unmarked vans arresting people without charge on suspicion of being protesters and spiriting them to who knows where.  The government of the city and state are calling for them to be removed, but they aren't and Trump refuses to get them out.  It is a giant and blatant violation of the constitution and rule of law and an overt attack on freedom of speech.  If this is not stopped fast it may well be the end of American democracy.

“I think Portland is a test case.  They want to see what they can get away with before launching into other parts of the country.” Zakir Khan, a spokesman for the Oregon chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations

“Usually when we see people in unmarked cars forcibly grab someone off the street, we call it kidnapping.  Protesters in Portland have been shot in the head, swept away in unmarked cars, and repeatedly tear-gassed by uninvited and unwelcome federal agents. We won’t rest until they are gone.” Jann Carson, interim executive director of the American Civil Liberties Union of Oregon

This is fucked.  We need to stand up now and make it clear we won't be cowed by violence.  Or there may not BE an election this November.

Remember what will happen if you don't speak out!

dpareja:
Source?

Skybison:
Sorry forgot

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/07/17/portland-protests-federal-arrests/

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-53453077

https://www.msnbc.com/all-in/watch/-terrifying-for-citizens-oregon-gov-reacts-to-trump-s-invasion-of-portland-87904837678

Id82:
November can't come fast enough. We're just three and a half months away from the election. Trump is tanking in the polls and he keeps getting worse and worse every day. He's alienating every voter except his cult. I bet he thinks that if his supporters are super enthusiastic to vote for him and they do enough voter suppression that it will some how defeat Biden.

Vanto:
Well, I've looked into this, and honestly? From what I've read, idea that this is "fascism" relies on a lot of misinformation and wild speculation.

1. I've seen pictures of the feds, they're wearing patches. They're not "unidentified".

2. There's nothing unusual about law enforcement using unmarked vehicles.

3. We know that many if not all of the people arrested have been hit with federal charges.

4. Assuming this is some kind of "test run" for a power grab come November is premature at best.

Honestly, I'd say this federal response has been pretty restrained, all things considered. A lot of the things these rioters have been doing could very easily be classified as terrorism and/or treason. And since these state and local officials can't or won't stop them from ruining, threatening, or even ending lives... well, I'd say their complaints about "federal overreach" are lol-worthy. Their constituents shouldn't be paying them to let their cities burn. Far as I'm concerned, they're weak and incompetent at best and should be thrown out of office and replaced with people who can actually fulfill their duties.

All Rioters Are Bastards.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version