Author Topic: Should I call myself an agnostic or atheist?  (Read 6272 times)

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
Re: Should I call myself an agnostic or atheist?
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2013, 12:52:28 am »
@sleepy: it's weird to explain, but i've seen atheists motivated by something i call Faith (with the capital F), like it's a divine pulsion. i've seen it in some curates or other church officials, like they really do believe what they preach. someone who is profoundly devout, but not bigoted. i've seen a lot of the reverse (me included) who can't grasp that. a physical impossibility to manifest those feelings and that ardour. it's not tied to religion, either. kind of an unshakeable, unchangeable thing. like being left-handed, or having blue eyes. you can't do anything about it, you have it or you don't. it's pretty cool to see it in action, really stimulating, makes you feel giddy, almost. hell, i feel awesome for them, but i'm wowwed by things i can't do/ perceive.

I'm not sure what you mean with the "Faith" concept, but I really don't see religion in the same way. There are plenty of church officials like the ones you described, but there are also some who are bigoted, yet still strong in their conviction. There are some who go from what you described to shaky beliefs, to eventual atheism. Just like people can go from fundie Catholic to pagan, from agnostic to born-again Christian. It's a billion shades of gray, not a hard-coded "you either have it or you don't" concept.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2013, 09:46:21 am »
(click to show/hide)
I'm not sure what you mean with the "Faith" concept, but I really don't see religion in the same way. There are plenty of church officials like the ones you described, but there are also some who are bigoted, yet still strong in their conviction. There are some who go from what you described to shaky beliefs, to eventual atheism. Just like people can go from fundie Catholic to pagan, from agnostic to born-again Christian. It's a billion shades of gray, not a hard-coded "you either have it or you don't" concept.

fair enough, as i said, i have a lot of trouble explaining it. it all boils down if i can pin down what "Faith" is and convey what i think it is in an easy to understand definition. all the examples you described are found, of course, but i have to remark upon your bigot. sure, fred phelps might have faith (always hard to tell with calvinists), but i'm not sure the rest of the wbc has it. therein lies the difference, but i've yet to explain it adequately. i'll keep working on it.  :)
@ guizonde: I think I like the way you think.
Warning: Biohazardously Awesome

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2013, 08:23:46 pm »
Y'know, I keep reading the title of this thread and getting the urge to answer it with "Call yourself whatever you want, you crazy protestant bastard".

That is all.
Σא

Offline R. U. Sirius

• He Who Must Be Smooched By Cute FSTDT Forumgirls
  • The Beast
  • Just look at me. Who could distrust this face?
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2013, 09:38:04 pm »
Y'know, I keep reading the title of this thread and getting the urge to answer it with "Call yourself whatever you want, you crazy protestant bastard".

That is all.

Well, now that that's over, what say we go back to my place for a bowl of my favorite cereal, Count Choc- *gets head chopped off by sociopathic Catholic priest*
http://www.gofundme.com/kw5o78
My GoFundMe campaign. Donations are greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/user/RUSirius1/submitted
My Imgur account. Upvotes always appreciated

If you look at it logically, cannibalism has great potential to simultaneously solve our overpopulation and food shortage problems.

Offline ScrappyB

• Bishop
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2013, 02:21:49 pm »
Thank you for the feedback, folks. Sorry it took me so long to get back to this thread. I've decided to just call myself an agnostic atheist. Guess it's time for me to buy some of those bumper stickers that piss off the fundies.
"All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian, or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit." - Thomas Paine

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2013, 07:11:47 pm »
Thank you for the feedback, folks. Sorry it took me so long to get back to this thread. I've decided to just call myself an agnostic atheist. Guess it's time for me to buy some of those bumper stickers that piss off the fundies.

You should call yourself ScrappyB.
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!