Author Topic: The E3 Thread  (Read 24600 times)

Offline Yaezakura

• The Pokemon Mistress
  • God
  • Little Lesbian Gaming Goddess
    • A Mayor's Tale - The daily trials of an Animal Crossing Mayor
Re: The E3 Thread
« Reply #75 on: June 06, 2012, 11:51:59 am »
Haha... that's pretty funny. "Well, we have a ton of new Vita games. Which is important, because the Vita is so far an abysmal failure. But uh... here's an Ass 3 bundle, and OH LOOK A MAGIC BOOK FOR THE PS3!"

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #76 on: June 06, 2012, 11:59:57 am »
So far, it looks like the 3DS is blowing the Vita away.  I know I'd rather have a 3DS.
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline Yaezakura

• The Pokemon Mistress
  • God
« Reply #77 on: June 06, 2012, 12:15:09 pm »
To be honest, it doesn't surprise me. It may be their second generation, but Sony are still handheld lightweights. Nintendo has worked for over 20 years in the handheld gaming market. And it's always been a lot more important to their business strategy than Sony's handhelds have been so far. I think how they glossed over them at E3 really shows how unfamiliar with handhelds Sony still is. They don't quite grasp how important a strong handheld showing is for the consumer base.

I mean, hell... they spend a half hour or more on an accessory for the PS3, but barely mention the Vita at all in their conference, despite having 25 new games for it on the show floor. At a time when it really needs the exposure and a reason for people to buy one.

To contrast, Nintendo has what basically amounts to a whole second conference dedicated just to new 3DS software. And they arranged it to be the very last impression people will have of this year's E3.

As much as I rag on them for ripping off Nintendo, this is one time where Sony really should follow their lead. If they're going to do handhelds, they need to take it seriously. Or gamers will stop taking them seriously.

Saturn500

« Reply #78 on: June 06, 2012, 12:20:51 pm »
So far, it looks like the 3DS is blowing the Vita away.  I know I'd rather have a 3DS.

I know I would play my 3DS more if the shoulder buttons on mine didn't require getting blown into a lot since it kept falling from my pocket.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #79 on: June 06, 2012, 12:58:13 pm »
I probably missed something, but I'm rather disappointed that of all the new Mario games, none of them are really trying anything new. All of the main Mario games up to Galaxy have introduced a completely new mechanic to keep things fresh. Nowadays it's all just neo-retro 2D platforming. It seems highly likely that from now on Mario will simply be milked like Star Wars with little to nothing in the way of innovation to keep it afloat on anything other than nostalgia.

Offline Yaezakura

• The Pokemon Mistress
  • God
« Reply #80 on: June 06, 2012, 01:01:26 pm »
Well, I don't think that's a bad thing in and of itself. Mario's just trying to be a better version of what it always was. Sometimes, you can go too far from your roots. I think there's a balance in there somewhere, between trying new things and reminding yourself of what's at the core of what you are.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #81 on: June 06, 2012, 01:23:18 pm »
I probably missed something, but I'm rather disappointed that of all the new Mario games, none of them are really trying anything new. All of the main Mario games up to Galaxy have introduced a completely new mechanic to keep things fresh. Nowadays it's all just neo-retro 2D platforming. It seems highly likely that from now on Mario will simply be milked like Star Wars with little to nothing in the way of innovation to keep it afloat on anything other than nostalgia.

So you're upset that New Super Mario Bros is doing what New Super Mario Bros is supposed to be doing - catering to classic gameplay that hipster gamers (and other gamers, too) loved and will continue to love because hell, it's fun.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Art Vandelay

« Reply #82 on: June 06, 2012, 01:30:26 pm »
Well, I don't think that's a bad thing in and of itself. Mario's just trying to be a better version of what it always was. Sometimes, you can go too far from your roots. I think there's a balance in there somewhere, between trying new things and reminding yourself of what's at the core of what you are.
Sure, but innovating and doing it well is kind of what's at the core of Mario. Basic 2D platforming, while fine in and of itself, is just the bare minimum of what Mario is about. Look at how Super Mario 64 not only introduced non-liner 3D platforming to the series, but to video gaming in general. Not only that, it did it really bloody well. Same goes for Super Mario Galaxy and its gravity well-based platforming. Hell, the only main Mario games I can think of that didn't do anything particularly new are Super Mario Brothers 2 (the original, not the reskinned Doki Doki Panic) and Super Mario Galaxy 2. Don't get me wrong, the safer Mario games very much have their place, but they're far better suited to handheld consoles or as spin-offs, but the main Mario series? Innovating and doing it so well as to essentially define platformers and what they could do for 20 years straight is what made Mario awesome. It would be a massive shame to see Nintendo forgo this approach and instead simply milk the nostalgia dollar instead.
So you're upset that New Super Mario Bros is doing what New Super Mario Bros is supposed to be doing - catering to classic gameplay that hipster gamers (and other gamers, too) loved and will continue to love because hell, it's fun.
It's more that Nintendo are focusing their efforts on that instead of making a Mario game that actually tries something new.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 01:33:08 pm by Art Vandelay »

Saturn500

« Reply #83 on: June 06, 2012, 02:34:06 pm »

Offline e13

• The Beast
  • Fabulousity is at 100%!
« Reply #84 on: June 06, 2012, 02:49:16 pm »

Eh, I'm with Art.

I'm normally the target for this shit, but after New Super on the DS, then on the Wii, and then 3D Land on my 3DS, honestly, I'm bored with the recycled gameplay. I know Mario tended to stay near his roots, but seriously, I personally want a wrench thrown in.

Honestly, though, I don't see that happening. The last time they did that, we got Sunshine, and only me and my bro liked it.

Just Having Some Tea, Hanging With My Friends...

Art Vandelay

« Reply #85 on: June 06, 2012, 02:53:15 pm »
Honestly, though, I don't see that happening. The last time they did that, we got Sunshine, and only me and my bro liked it.
Hey, I loved Sunshine. It's my second favourite game on the Gamecube.

Offline Yaezakura

• The Pokemon Mistress
  • God
« Reply #86 on: June 06, 2012, 08:54:22 pm »
Well, for anyone interested, the 3DS Software Showcase starts in like 5 minutes, and can be streamed here.

Offline Whore of Spamylon

• Bishop
« Reply #87 on: June 06, 2012, 09:05:53 pm »
Ellen Page...in a videogame.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkJffwIH5xk" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkJffwIH5xk</a>

Should be interesting

“Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes.” - William Gibson

Offline Yaezakura

• The Pokemon Mistress
  • God
« Reply #88 on: June 06, 2012, 10:04:05 pm »
*sighs* They didn't even give us a release date for Animal Crossing 3D, let alone showcase an interesting new game...

I hereby dub this year's E3 a complete and utter failure by all three parties.

Saturn500

« Reply #89 on: June 06, 2012, 10:06:21 pm »
...Well, the 3DS software showcase absolutely sucked. Nothing new. They didn't even announce a US release for Fire Emblem: Awakening. Hell, they spent a significant portion talking about LEGO Batman 2. WHO. THE. FUCK. CARES?!