Author Topic: Worst Political Cartoons  (Read 1622358 times)

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
Re: Worst Political Cartoons
« Reply #60 on: January 09, 2012, 03:25:36 am »
Never did it myself, either.  At first, it was a religious thing, but, after having been broken of that, I still didn't recite the pledge...ideological differences, if you will.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #61 on: January 09, 2012, 11:14:39 am »
In some European countries, Holocaust denial is against the law.

As much as I abhor Holocaust denial, I'm not terribly fond of laws banning the expression of those opinions.

The Pledge of Allegiance

I find the whole concept rather disconcerting. Gaining loyalty through rote is too cult-like for my tastes. Plus, people should be pledging allegiance to humanity, not a flag.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline The Prophet Mohammed (PBUM)

• Neonate
« Reply #62 on: January 09, 2012, 12:15:46 pm »

Offline N. De Plume

• Mysterious Writing Implement
  • The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
« Reply #63 on: January 09, 2012, 02:21:02 pm »

Because Congress refusing to actually confirm anyone simply because the president was appointing them shows so much respect for the system, too.

Oh, more of the “He fought for your rights so you would never use them” bullshit.
-A Pen Name

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #64 on: January 09, 2012, 02:23:20 pm »

*face palms*

*palms slides down face slowly*

T_T Just... ugh...
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Cataclysm

• The Beast
« Reply #65 on: January 09, 2012, 02:28:05 pm »

Oh, more of the “He fought for your rights so you would never use them” bullshit.

And when was the last war that was fought to prevent an actual threat?
I'd be more sympathetic if people here didn't act like they knew what they were saying when they were saying something very much wrong.

Commenter Brendan Rizzo is an American (still living there) who really, really hates America. He used to make posts defending his country from anti-American attacks but got fed up with it all.

Offline N. De Plume

• The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
« Reply #66 on: January 09, 2012, 03:30:32 pm »
Possibly the fight in Afghanistan. Assuming the enemy over there was in any sort of position to launch further strikes. But then again, then the actual threat to our rights, as opposed to our personal safety, actually came from Congress.
-A Pen Name

Offline Bezron

• a mysterious riddled spicy burrito wrapped enigma...stuck in some hot chick's colon dreaming of fanginas
  • Pope
« Reply #67 on: January 09, 2012, 03:46:54 pm »
Try getting a skinhead to actually admit he's racist first. Or doesn't like Jewish people. Or black people. I've run into a few people who insist it's just a fashion genre.

For some people it is.  Particularly SHARPs (Skin Heads Against Racial Prejudice).  IIRC, you can identify a SHARP by their bootlaces: red laces over black boots (interestingly, I met a SHARP once who wore Oxblood Grinders with black laces for the same reason).  True Skins generally wear white laces over black boots (get it?).  Of course, there are those on both sides that wear black/black because they don't bother to change the laces or just don't care/know.

There are other indicators that I don't recall offhand since it's been quite a few years since I have been around any SHARPs (or True Skins).  SHARPs and True Skins are often (not always) rival factions.

Offline MaybeNever

• Got His Red Wings
  • Pope
  • Possessed of a proclivity for prolixity
« Reply #68 on: January 09, 2012, 03:50:15 pm »
Possibly the fight in Afghanistan. Assuming the enemy over there was in any sort of position to launch further strikes. But then again, then the actual threat to our rights, as opposed to our personal safety, actually came from Congress.

The irony is that Afghanistan never posed any kind of threat to our actual rights. All the shit that's been dismantled, is being dismantled, is stuff that we're doing to ourselves. Wrapped in a flag, and carrying the cross.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 03:53:34 pm by MaybeNever »
"Great Britain's two most senior military officers added to the uneasiness. [...] Lord Wolseley, Adjutant General, thought that it might be possible for an enemy to invade without waiters and pastrycooks."
-Robert K. Massie, Dreadnought

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #69 on: January 09, 2012, 07:17:16 pm »

And when was the last war that was fought to prevent an actual threat?

The American Right likes to think that it is being persecuted on all ends by Muslims and commies. They still live in the 50's mindset that a nuke is going to drop and blow us all up any minute now if we don't worship the military-industrial complex and recite mindless jingoistic mantras.
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline Oriet

• Homo sapiens scientia
  • Bishop
  • Disabled Vet MtF Polyamorous Atheist Auspie
« Reply #70 on: January 09, 2012, 07:36:38 pm »
Having served in the US Military I can say the pledge definitely has it's place, and I encourage its use for military personnel and other government workers (such as politicians) as upholding it is a part of their specific duty. I do not, however, think it really belongs in our schools. Children are not able to really understand it when it's first done (I remember it being recited as early as Kindergarten, though I can't remember if it was in pre-school or not), and putting it in such a place makes them feel it's a necessity instead of a choice. Some people desire to move to another country when they grow up (for whatever reason), and there's also the issue of exchange students and students who are a citizen of multiple countries. I also do not appreciate it made into something that people will mindlessly recite, as that is one of the best ways to degrade it into complete meaninglessness.
The Rules, get to know them.

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #71 on: January 09, 2012, 07:44:47 pm »
Having served in the US Military I can say the pledge definitely has it's place, and I encourage its use for military personnel and other government workers (such as politicians) as upholding it is a part of their specific duty. I do not, however, think it really belongs in our schools. Children are not able to really understand it when it's first done (I remember it being recited as early as Kindergarten, though I can't remember if it was in pre-school or not), and putting it in such a place makes them feel it's a necessity instead of a choice. Some people desire to move to another country when they grow up (for whatever reason), and there's also the issue of exchange students and students who are a citizen of multiple countries. I also do not appreciate it made into something that people will mindlessly recite, as that is one of the best ways to degrade it into complete meaninglessness.

It makes sense in the military and the government, because in that case you really are working for the sake of your country. It's the school pledges that make my blood boil, because it's imposing a belief system on children who don't necessarily accept it. There are a number of foreign exchange students at my school (from Argentina, Northern Ireland, Germany, etc.) and none of them stand to do the pledge. There are even teachers who have immigrated from other countries, and they do not stand to do the pledge.
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline N. De Plume

• The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
« Reply #72 on: January 09, 2012, 08:35:30 pm »
I am bothered by the idea of pledging allegiance to a flag. As opposed to what the flag represents. Might be a bit pedantic, but it still bugs me.
-A Pen Name

Offline Oriet

• Homo sapiens scientia
  • Bishop
  • Disabled Vet MtF Polyamorous Atheist Auspie
« Reply #73 on: January 09, 2012, 09:02:05 pm »
I would actually prefer a pledge to the constitution than the flag, as I feel it makes far more sense. I would say pledging it to the country as a whole and its ideals would be better, but I think the constitution holds the ideals in as concrete a manner as possible.
The Rules, get to know them.

Offline N. De Plume

• The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
« Reply #74 on: January 09, 2012, 09:19:56 pm »
I would actually prefer a pledge to the constitution than the flag, as I feel it makes far more sense. I would say pledging it to the country as a whole and its ideals would be better, but I think the constitution holds the ideals in as concrete a manner as possible.
This I agree with. The Constitution actually has an explicit message, so you can actually have a sort of allegiance to that.
-A Pen Name