Author Topic: Senate fast tracks vote to defund Planned Parenthood  (Read 3472 times)

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
Senate fast tracks vote to defund Planned Parenthood
« on: July 29, 2015, 06:16:03 pm »
Exactly what it says on the tin folks.  And all because of some sting videos that could have been edited to show PP in such a bad light.

Source: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/senate-gop-fast-tracks-bill-to-defund-planned-parenthood_55b8274ae4b0074ba5a6bc43?kpvz33di

WASHINGTON -- After a group of GOP senators huddled Tuesday afternoon to discuss the recently released undercover "sting" videos of Planned Parenthood, Republicans unveiled legislation to strip the family planning provider of its federal funding.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) fast-tracked the legislation Tuesday night using Rule 14 of Senate procedure, setting up a procedural cloture vote to move the bill to the floor as early as Monday. That all but assures the bill will get a final vote before Senators depart for August recess.

McConnell huddled with Sens. Joni Ernst (R-Iowa), Rand Paul (R-Ky.) and a handful of other Republicans Tuesday afternoon to work through details of the bill.

"On the issue of these horrendous videos that we’ve seen with the discussions from Planned Parenthood people, we have a working group ... and it is our plan to have a vote on preceding to a measure that they support sometime before we break for the August recess," McConnell said earlier Tuesday before fast-tracking the bill.

Ironbite-but there is no war on women.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
Re: Senate fast tracks vote to defund Planned Parenthood
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2015, 06:35:58 pm »
I feel like we've been here before. Have we been here before?
Σא

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 06:38:05 pm »
We've been here before.  We'll always be here.  Because the fucking GOP really really doesn't give a shit about women.  Just how many they can snooker into voting them into power.

Ironbite-we're in dire need of a rat fumigating at the federal level.

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2015, 06:40:32 pm »
What are these "sting videos?"

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2015, 06:44:25 pm »
If memory serves, they're basically Michael Moore-style "documentaries" that take quotes severely out of context to make people look bad.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2015, 06:56:41 pm »
In this particular case, they were trying to make (legal) fetal tissue donation look like (illegal) fetal organ trafficking.
Σא

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2015, 08:32:21 pm »
They just don't know when to give up, do they?

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2015, 04:57:51 am »
Next year's congressional elections should be a cakewalk for Democrats.  all they have to do is ask Republicans, "Let's see, you fought Obamacare, which works in every state except those where you gutted it; you defunded Planned Parenthood based on B.S. evidence, fought gun-control measures that 90% of the population (including gun owners) support; fought the Supreme Court ruling on SSM; oh and you shut the government down twice.  Why should the American People vote for you again?"
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2015, 05:13:40 am »
But they'll screw it up.

That's what Democrats do.

(I kid, I kid. Hillary will stomp Bush).
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline Id82

• The Beast
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2015, 11:46:05 am »
Next year's congressional elections should be a cakewalk for Democrats.  all they have to do is ask Republicans, "Let's see, you fought Obamacare, which works in every state except those where you gutted it; you defunded Planned Parenthood based on B.S. evidence, fought gun-control measures that 90% of the population (including gun owners) support; fought the Supreme Court ruling on SSM; oh and you shut the government down twice.  Why should the American People vote for you again?"

Yes that all sounds great. But come on do you honestly think that will work? These are the democrats were talking about. They'll go with their last strategy of distancing themselves from Obama as much as possible.
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2015, 03:09:56 pm »

Yes that all sounds great. But come on do you honestly think that will work? These are the democrats were talking about. They'll go with their last strategy of distancing themselves from Obama as much as possible.

True.  They'd have an easy campaign, but it's also too easy to screw up. 

I want to donate to PP, but after their site got hacked, I'm a little iffy about using my card.  Maybe I'll try with a gift card.
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2015, 10:33:32 am »
There's got to be something we can do. There's always something we can do.

Planned Parenthood should do fund-raisers.

2016 is gonna be a great year for The Democrats!

Oh, and condoms are still legal! Let's turn a negative to a positive and go CONDOM-CRAZY!

Condoms! Male Condoms! Female Condoms! TIME FOR A LATEX/POLYURETHANE SAFER-SEX REVOLUTION, BABY!!!!!

Are there mass-protests going on? There should be!

HOPE!
http://www.commondreams.org/news/2015/07/29/faced-defunding-threat-senate-planned-parenthood-fights-back
Also, never doubt the power of Obama's VETO PEN!

Say what you want about him but he would definitely veto the bill IF it ever gets through!

Then 2016 will come and an already P.Oed U.S.A. will kick these Teahadis to the curb! Remember, while sane Americans may be lax in voting a lot of times, PRESIDENTIAL Elections are usually a big exception!

And considering the antics of The Tea Party, The GOP, Donald Trump, Several Mass Shootings, Government Shutdowns, etc. it would be ridiculous that sane Americans would sit at home and twiddle their thumbs on a Presidential election night.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 11:11:07 am by Barbarella »

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2015, 11:44:30 am »
That's true, Barb. We might get as much as 40%of the voting population out to vote.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2015, 12:37:46 pm »
That's true, Barb. We might get as much as 40%of the voting population out to vote.

Oh! You're so cute when you're sarcastic.

Nah, more like maybe 70%. Americans are pretty sick of the GOP.

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2015, 06:16:47 pm »

Oh! You're so cute when you're sarcastic.

Nah, more like maybe 70%. Americans are pretty sick of the GOP.

How many Americans do you think voted in the Hope and Change election of 2008 - the most exciting hyped election of a generation?
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR