Author Topic: Video Game Thread 2.0  (Read 1462650 times)

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
Re: Video Game Thread 2.0
« Reply #1035 on: September 09, 2012, 08:02:31 pm »
Deepwood Sniper is kind of a trap at the moment.  You'd be better off going Arcane Archer until Turbine gets around to the Enhancement Overhaul.  Then maybe Deepwood Sniper won't be absolutely terrible.

...That being said, if you really WANT to go Deepwood Sniper, do.  I'm just saying, at the moment, Arcane Archer is unfortunately superior in every way for what you want to do :-/
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline erictheblue

• The Beast
« Reply #1036 on: September 09, 2012, 08:54:01 pm »
Deepwood Sniper is kind of a trap at the moment.  You'd be better off going Arcane Archer until Turbine gets around to the Enhancement Overhaul.

What do you mean?

I'm just saying, at the moment, Arcane Archer is unfortunately superior in every way for what you want to do :-/

Right now, I'm Ranger 1/Rogue 1, and about to pick up Ranger 2. I'm also Human, not Elf. Would it be worth it to scrap this character and restart to get a casting class? If so, what class? From the DDO site, it seems the casting classes are hard to solo (though I guess I could take Ranger 5, snag a casting class at 6, and take Ranger 6 and AA at 7). I have not unlocked Artificer yet, so my options are Bard, Sorc, and Wiz.
[Anonymous is] like... an internet Cthulu... you don't want to rouse them, but at the same time... woah think of the beautiful chaos! - SpaceProg

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #1037 on: September 09, 2012, 09:05:30 pm »
Rangers are partially a casting class and so naturally qualify for Arcane Archer (though they do need to pick up a Mental Toughness feat at level 5 to qualify)

You don't actually need to multiclass to pick up Arcane Archer (and, in fact, it's preferable not to)

That being said, you can keep on playing as you are.  The level of Rogue is very useful, and the sneak attack damage will help out a bit, too.  You might get some odd looks, but you'll be fine.

Human is a perfectly good race for a ranged ranger.

The reason Deepwood Sniper is terrible is, well... there's only one rank of it, the active ability it is pretty terrible even when it does work, and the passive abilities of the prestige enhancement are not even worth the AP.  You'd literally be better off not taking any prestige enhancement than taking Deepwood Sniper.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Offline erictheblue

• The Beast
« Reply #1038 on: September 09, 2012, 09:19:45 pm »
Rangers are partially a casting class and so naturally qualify for Arcane Archer (though they do need to pick up a Mental Toughness feat at level 5 to qualify)

Ahh... I see that now... I didn't click on the link for Mental Toughness in the DDO wiki, so thought it was a feat that comes from a casting class. (All the other feats listed are ones from arcana classes.)

Human is a perfectly good race for a ranged ranger.

Another misunderstanding on my part, this time from the Compendium. It recommends Half-Elf as the race, which I took to be from the PNP requirement of being either Elf or Half-Elf. Nice to know that is gone. (DDO Wiki also calls it "Elven Arcane Archer." I see now that that is a separate, but mostly identical, enhancement.)

The reason Deepwood Sniper is terrible is, well... there's only one rank of it, the active ability it is pretty terrible even when it does work, and the passive abilities of the prestige enhancement are not even worth the AP.  You'd literally be better off not taking any prestige enhancement than taking Deepwood Sniper.

I see.... Looking again at AA and knowing that it does not require an arcane casting class, it does look like the better option. Thanks!
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 09:21:17 pm by erictheblue »
[Anonymous is] like... an internet Cthulu... you don't want to rouse them, but at the same time... woah think of the beautiful chaos! - SpaceProg

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #1039 on: September 10, 2012, 03:52:28 am »
All Mental Toughness requires is that you have SP.

On a side note, I borrowed Epic Mickey from Rusty.  Holy guacamole and garlic on a meatless sandwich, this is a fantastic game.  The camera is a bit wonky at times, but other than that, the game is pretty much excellent.  The atmosphere is very good at conveying just how dark and depressing the world is, and if you go Scrapper, the game is even MORE depressing.  And unlike other games where you can just try out choices and reload until you get the morality you want, in this game, it autosaves after a morality choice.  While inconvenient in a way, it also does what it sets out to do - basically, makes you stick with your choice.  In other words, your decisions matter and have an impact.

And boy do they have an impact.  If you're a Heroic Mickey, NPCs react to you fairly positively.  If you're a Scrapper Mickey, they look at you with a cold disdain.  If you're Heroic, they're generally walking around cheerfully.  If you're Scrapper, they're hunched over, staring at the ground instead of where they're going.  Some choices have consequences beyond the most immediate resolution, too.

Also, Animatronic Goofy will haunt my nightmares.  In a fantastic way.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #1040 on: September 10, 2012, 04:24:59 am »
15 Ages.  It took me traveling to 15 different motherfucking dimensions to finally find cacti in Technic.  I almost ditched the world I found it in, too...because it was all covered in fucking snow.  It took re-entering the world after looking at the book in my writing desk and noticing the "DesertHills" glyph to find the little, green fuckers.

I finally have a working volcano pump!  I'VE GOT LAVA, BITCHES!  I've finally got fucking lava in tanks!  I'm going to give geothermal power a big, sloppy kiss (I'd give it a stiff fuck, but...that's reserved for someone else), then, I'm going to become a fucking god.  Again.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #1041 on: September 10, 2012, 04:09:19 pm »
So in Skyrim I threw in with the Stormcloaks and....I don't think I like Ulfric.  I want to murder him.

Ironbite-not sure why either.

Offline Gst0395

• Apprentice
« Reply #1042 on: September 10, 2012, 04:13:55 pm »
So in Skyrim I threw in with the Stormcloaks and....I don't think I like Ulfric.  I want to murder him.
I chose the Stormcloaks as well. Why should they be told by the Imperials how they live?
Youtube: Gst0395
Pixar Planet: Geoff-uk1234

Offline ironbite

• Kakarot
« Reply #1043 on: September 10, 2012, 04:20:43 pm »
Oh no I totally agree with their political views.  I mean Skyrim itself is only marginally a part of the Empire as a whole.  But to be told that a major figure in your Pantheon has suddenly been kicked out because a bunch of jackass Mer said so?  And let's not forget that they started the war by basically butchering a very ancient and old organization that protected your emperor for centuries.  Yeah let's give in to them and change how we worship our gods.  That'll go over well.

Maybe it's just Ulfric I don't like but if there was a way to take over the Stormcloaks I'd do it in a second.  Maybe it's the fact that I'm the Dragonborn or something but god damn these people.  Really not seeing how they've gotten where they have without me.

Ironbite-also the Jarl of Whiterun's an idiot.

Distind

« Reply #1044 on: September 10, 2012, 04:28:38 pm »
You guys did snoop around and find the mer's files on Ulfric right? I went through the stormcloak side of the war and came out feeling dirty before I even found those files. Had to start a new character so I could whoop his ass again.

Also, a full unrelenting force is a lot of fun off the top of a tower.

170 hours in the game, finally got about half way through the story, suddenly feel the urge to start another new character.

Offline ironbite

• Kakarot
« Reply #1045 on: September 10, 2012, 04:33:45 pm »
Oh I did find those files on him.  But even then I don't like the Empire.  At all.  And yes I know there's a way to not do this questline, I just don't like the Empire.  I don't like a people who gave away one of their gods just for the sake of peace.

Ironbite-if I could set myself up as ruler of Skyrim I would in a heartbeat.

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #1046 on: September 10, 2012, 04:43:37 pm »
I never got involved with politics in Skyrim.  That just means less people to kill.
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline ironbite

• Kakarot
« Reply #1047 on: September 10, 2012, 04:46:04 pm »
Exactly and where's the fun in that?

Ironbite-I mean there's only so many Thalmor in Skyrim.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #1048 on: September 10, 2012, 06:21:46 pm »
Ironically, private worship of Talos was allowed (and encouraged) until the Stormcloaks raised a fuss, which alerted the Thalmor to the fact that the god they said not to worship was being worshiped.

So, you can thank the Stormcloaks AND the Thalmor for private worship of Talos being banned.

Me?  The only decent Stormcloak is Ralof.  The rest can go get devoured by Alduin.  They're practically like a cult following Ulfric's every word as if it was the gospel truth, and he uses that fact.

That's not to say I don't like the Empire, but strategically speaking, they have the primary advantage in the war against the thalmor - the Stormcloaks, however, would rather sacrifice Skyrim to the Thalmor than partner with the Empire.  And they'll kill Nords who don't agree with their cause.  So, excuse me Mr. "Skyrim is for the Nords", it is also for the Nords you don't agree with.  I won't side with the man who murdered his high king in cold blood and then tried to pass it off as a challenge afterwards.

Is there a "Side with Alduin" option?  I'd love that.  Screw Skyrim, let the rebirth begin!

(You know you're fucked when the messianic figure allies himself with the devil figure)

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #1049 on: September 10, 2012, 07:12:24 pm »
Ya know, in Skyrim, you're basically Jesus.  You really should be able to form your own faction and kick everyone's ass, especially the Thalmoor.  Then again, I have an emphatic hatred for all things Altmer.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.