Community > Entertainment and Television

Good/bad anime thread

<< < (3/53) > >>

shadowpanther:
And once again, I find myself running into an anime thread and bellowing 'Legend of the Galactic Heroes' at the top of my voice. Seriously people, this is one of those must see things, a grand sprawling space opera with the emphasis on the opera (note; does not include singing though opera is visited by the Kaiser). 17th Century Prussia Vs modern republican democracy IN SPACE. And the Prussians aren't automatically moustache twirling, opera cloak billowing villains for once either. Just some of them.

rosenewock21:

--- Quote from: TheL on January 17, 2012, 08:13:33 am ---No love for Outlaw Star?

--- End quote ---

I'll give some love, if only because I spent all of sophomore year styling my hair like Aisha Clan-Clan (braided down the back with a large ring tied at the end. I used an old bracelet. Word of advice, simple bracelets work best. It took me forever to undo the damned thing when I used one that had faux jewel studs on it.).

No one has mentioned the madness that is Death Note yet. "I'll take a chip...and I'll eat it!" With the most dramatic music, cut away, and color saturation they could think of. Light had chips, L had sweets, and Misa had a most puzzling oral fixation involving lollipops.

Blood+ wasn't bad. Despite what she did to Riku I felt incredibly bad for Diva at the end.

Some of the Tenchi Muyo series will also get a pass. He never went to Tokyo in my world.

Revolutionary Girl Utena, both movie and series. Any movie that ends with (click to show/hide)naked lesbian bobsledding gets an automatic passing grade in my book.

Dragon Ball/DBZ will get mentioned for the sheer nostalgia factor. I remember setting my vcr to record episodes that aired at midnight on toonami. Nothing happened after the Cell saga. Nope. They ended on a high note and (click to show/hide)no sentient balls of bubblegum tried to eat the universe.
Points to toonami for trying to alter the lesbian content in Sailor Moon by making them "cousins" and then leaving in most of the scenes that made it blatantly obvious to the contrary. I do believe they also turned the prettier member of a gay couple into female for the dub.

I have Shin Chan on DVD. Don't judge me or I'll sic Action Bastard on you.

I'll also admit to passing fondness for Inuyasha and Trinity Blood. If I was up and they were on I'd watch them.

Cerim Treascair:
Let me see... Cowboy Bebop, Outlaw Star, Full Metal Alchemist, DNAngel, Saiyuki, Witch Hunter Robin, Spice And Wolf, Weiss Kreuz, Serial Experiments Lain, Paranoia Agent, Ghost in the Shell, I'm getting into Puella Magi Madoka Magica (for those that haven't heard of it, think Sailor Moon with the safeties off.  Blood, gore, Anybody Can Die [and messily], and the fights are fucking acid trips) wicked fierce, I'm really getting a kick out of the Persona anime...

And anything Miyazaki is exquisite.

That's pretty much my list.

Edit:  I forgot about the Gundam series... Wing was my first love.  Cultural Catgirl Nuku Nuku too, along with Hyper Police!

Yaezakura:
I must be the one person on earth who just... doesn't like Cowboy Bebop. The only thing it's remarkable for was having a dub that didn't suck. The show wasn't awful or anything, but it just never impressed me in the slightest.

Aside from that, I like everything Priestling just listed except Paranoia Agent. Just... bleh. Madoka, however, was pretty amazing.

And it is a crime that the thread has gone on this long without a mention of Lucky Star.

starseeker:
I'm more into the mecha genre, so stuff like Gundam 0080 (especially watched at Christmas), Code Geass, Tekkaman Blade, Escaflowne, Eureka 7, Gaiking LoDM, Gear Fighter Dendoh, Ginga Senpuu Braiger, Da Garn, Gunbuster and Rahxephon. For non-mecha shows I loved Baka to Test, Azumanga Daioh, Dragon Half, Enma-kun meramera and Now and Then Here and There.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version