Author Topic: Vilifying sexual activities  (Read 3220 times)

Offline worlder

• Bishop
Vilifying sexual activities
« on: January 17, 2013, 09:09:29 pm »
This thread isn't about what rules certain religions laid for one sex and the other.

It is about how some religions, notably the Abrahamic ones, regard sex as something detrimental to society.

There has to be some set of things that happened for such an attitude to emerge.

I'm suspecting it might have to do with something along the lines of less "base" thoughts frees up mental capacity for higher thinking.

Art Vandelay

Re: Vilifying sexual activities
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 09:14:12 pm »
It's probably more because the ancient Israelis had no birth control, STD preventatives/cures or abortionists, so unlike today, promiscuity had lasting and rather severe consequences. Society just ran a lot more smoothly when sex was kept behind closed doors and only between married couples.

Offline The Lazy One

• Neonate
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 09:15:22 pm »
I always thought it had to do with STDs? When you're a society chilling in the desert in prehistoric/early history times, if half your population gets an STD it can be bad for the survival of your society. Kind of the way that halal and kosher food rules started in order to avoid food that, due to lack of preparation and storage capabilities, would be more likely to transmit disease.

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 09:58:02 pm »
First we were supposed to "be fruitful and multiply" and now sex is an evil that must be stopped.

Go home Bible, you are drunk.

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 10:49:30 pm »
I think a great deal of it stems from men wanting to make sure that the children they are raising are their own.

Offline Flying Mint Bunny!

• Zoot be praised and to His Chosen victory
  • The Beast
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2013, 08:44:08 am »
I think a great deal of it stems from men wanting to make sure that the children they are raising are their own.

I think that is a large part of it. It would explain why it's more acceptable for men to sleep around. Unless there is some kind of weird baby swapping scenario at birth a woman knows a child is her own, so she can't really be tricked into raising someone elses child.

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2013, 04:06:55 pm »

I thought it was a combination of that and keeping bloodlines "pure".
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2013, 05:15:24 pm »
Sex is vile, disgusting and sinful, and you should avoid it until your wedding night.
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline rageaholic

• The Beast
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2013, 06:09:00 pm »
It's probably more because the ancient Israelis had no birth control, STD preventatives/cures or abortionists, so unlike today, promiscuity had lasting and rather severe consequences. Society just ran a lot more smoothly when sex was kept behind closed doors and only between married couples.

And now that we have birth control, the fundtards want to do everything in their power to prevent people from having access to it. 

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2013, 02:07:40 am »
Religions change slowly, someone once commented that if you read the old testament and concider that it was written by a nation that lived in a very hostile area all of the rules make sense. It is a desert survival guide:

Don't eat pork because it spoils easily and you might kill yourself (and maybe it spreads and endangers everyone else as well) by eating it

Cutting off your foreskin makes cleaning yourself easier and reduces chances of getting something nasty. (Which might kill you and everyone else.)

If you take a crap in the desert don't do it in your camp, go somewhere else and crap in a hole which you then cover. (If the crusaders had read the bible and followed rules like this they might have actually kept the middle east.)

Having sex with many different people increases the chances of an STD spreading and killing everyone.

The punishments that the old testament orders are sever, often lethal, because if one moron does something stupid it might kill the whole tribe. So killing off a moron who risks everyones lives is a smart choice.

These days most christians aren't living in a desert so many of those codes have became outdated though.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2013, 08:26:50 pm »
Religions change slowly, someone once commented that if you read the old testament and concider that it was written by a nation that lived in a very hostile area all of the rules make sense. It is a desert survival guide:

Don't eat pork because it spoils easily and you might kill yourself (and maybe it spreads and endangers everyone else as well) by eating it

Cutting off your foreskin makes cleaning yourself easier and reduces chances of getting something nasty. (Which might kill you and everyone else.)

If you take a crap in the desert don't do it in your camp, go somewhere else and crap in a hole which you then cover. (If the crusaders had read the bible and followed rules like this they might have actually kept the middle east.)

Having sex with many different people increases the chances of an STD spreading and killing everyone.

The punishments that the old testament orders are sever, often lethal, because if one moron does something stupid it might kill the whole tribe. So killing off a moron who risks everyones lives is a smart choice.

These days most christians aren't living in a desert so many of those codes have became outdated though.

Makes sense. Unfortunately, most uber-conservative religious types never got the memo & quite frankly they would probably rip the memo up because they have a control fetish. Perhaps Liberal/Moderate believers, to tend to cherry-pick the nicer stuff, instinctively know that certain parts become obsolete & downright deranged when applied in different eras.