Author Topic: Episcopal Church shares building with Muslims  (Read 1943 times)

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
Episcopal Church shares building with Muslims
« on: March 30, 2013, 09:54:46 pm »
Thanks to Lilith for showing this to me :D

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-21953899
On a bitterly cold and snowing afternoon in Aberdeen, the doors of St John's Episcopal Church are open to hundreds of Muslim worshippers, arriving for daily prayers.

The familiar sounds of Christian hymns have been replaced with Islamic prayer in the chapel this Friday lunchtime and the church priest with the imam from the neighbouring mosque.

Muslims from the Syed Shah Mustafa Jame Masjid mosque next door share this church with Christian worshippers up to five times a day.

Church leaders believe this may be the only place in the country where Christian and Muslim worshippers pray side by side.

"It was a very cold day, like today, and when I walked past the mosque I saw dozens of male worshippers praying outside, on the streets, right near the church.

''Their hands and feet were bare and you could see their breath in the freezing cold.

''Jesus taught his disciples to love your neighbour as yourself and this is something I cannot just preach to my congregation, I had to put it into practice."

Reverend Poobalan adds: ''I felt very distressed when I saw my neighbours praying out in the cold and I knew I needed to do something to help.''

''I know I cannot solve the world's problems, but when there is a problem I can solve, I will.''

If I could be honest, this really increased my faith in humanity.  Nice to see Christian leaders putting their hands to efforts above and beyond prayer.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!
Re: Episcopal Church shares building with Muslims
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 11:55:30 pm »
Is it sad that the state of the world is so utterly awful that even a single story of Christians and Muslims getting along is practically heartwarming?

Offline Captain Jack Harkness

• Petter, Brony, and All-Around Cartoon Addict
  • The Beast
  • Or as a friend calls him, Captain Jack Hotness!
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 12:32:02 am »
This is cool, but I could've told you that Episcopalians are cool.  Heck, you have to remember that poeticmind0189 is Episcopalian. :P

You know that her church has an LGBT support group, right?  You'd have to ask her for details, but I just want to put that out there.
My friend's blog.  Check it out!

I blame/credit The Doctor with inspiring my name change.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2013, 02:44:21 am »
This is cool, but I could've told you that Episcopalians are cool.

Former Episcopalian here.  I could also tell you how Episcopalians are cool.  Especially Scottish lineage.

And judging by the URL, this took place in Scotland sooooooooo yes XD
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2013, 08:07:19 am »
We need more churches like this one.
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Art Vandelay

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2013, 08:10:57 am »
"It was a very cold day, like today, and when I walked past the mosque I saw dozens of male worshippers praying outside, on the streets, right near the church.

''Their hands and feet were bare and you could see their breath in the freezing cold.

''Jesus taught his disciples to love your neighbour as yourself and this is something I cannot just preach to my congregation, I had to put it into practice."

Reverend Poobalan adds: ''I felt very distressed when I saw my neighbours praying out in the cold and I knew I needed to do something to help.''

''I know I cannot solve the world's problems, but when there is a problem I can solve, I will.''

Normally I couldn't give two shits about inter-religious dealings, but even I have to say that that is extremely commendable of him. My so-called hat goes off to this fellow.

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2013, 11:32:57 am »
I've heard of this happening elsewhere, and both ways - I think I read a story about a mosque offering a temporary worship space to Christians after their church burned down or something.
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2013, 01:47:23 pm »
Beautiful story! If are Christians were like this, the faith would flourish!

Though I am a NeoPagan, but I have an Interfaith/Universalist-type mindset and I respect Jesus & Christianity when it's done right!

Christianity should be a beautiful, gentle, peaceful faith that emphasizes kindness, forgiveness, love, peace, charity, compassion & social justice. It could have been a great force for good in the world (and can still be so) but unfortunately it has been hijacked for centuries by warmongering bigots, prudes & dictators. To see Christians & Muslims, side-by-side, worshiping in peace is a beautiful thing to behold.

I like this.

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2013, 10:15:35 pm »
These, THESE are the kind of religious people we need more of in the world.  Those who actually practice the tolerance they preach.
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter