Author Topic: Georgia high school still segregates  (Read 3747 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Re: Georgia high school still segregates
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2013, 08:07:38 am »
Obviously not all of Georgia is made up from racist bigots. I mean the kids mentioned in the article are just one example of Georgians struggling against racism.

It does suprise me that something like those segregated "totally not a prom so it's ok" could have lasted this long.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Distind

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2013, 09:19:12 am »
It's the kind of thing no legal challenge is going to win against. To flop it they'll have to do pretty much exactly what they're doing and point out how backward it all is. The problem is getting people to listen. Well, the right people anyway.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2013, 09:49:52 am »
I know that they can't excactly sue the school for this since "officially" there are no proms and it's "just unofficial dance parties arranged by the parents."

What I meant was that untill now there hasn't been enough of an outrage or that no one has managed to organise a countermovement to this. If there had been parents or students who would have declared that they are going to do an integrated prom years ago would that have worked? Or would the students back then still have wanted to have separate proms? Is this a small group of students who are the few non-racists or have the others just grudginly obeyed their "custom?"
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Art Vandelay

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2013, 07:16:02 am »
Not even- and I make this observation fully aware that it is shocking- Tasmania
It's a very nice place, if you ask me. Hardly an economic powerhouse, but the climate's quite pleasant, as is the scenery. Not to mention, all of the historic towns and even railroads.

Though I will say don't travel there by ferry overnight unless you're willing to shell out for an actual cabin. Otherwise, you're going to have a very bad time.