Author Topic: Best Political Cartoons  (Read 1653189 times)

Offline Feral Dog

• The Beast
  • Caffeine, how I adore thee.
Re: Best Political Cartoons
« Reply #3330 on: February 17, 2014, 03:16:15 am »
....what?
Basically, it's comparing the "persecution" exotic pet owners go through to the human rights abuses against political dissidents in Burma.

Jesus Christ on a cracker, you have no idea how much exotic pet ownership pisses me off.

Yeah, enjoy your inbred, hybridized tiger useless for any conservation programs (yes a lot of these people try to pull the 'it's conservation' card)... while genetically viable tigers are slaughtered to extinction. Enjoy your monkey (after you've removed its teeth, fingertips, and tail), I'm sure it loves living alone in a birdcage. Enjoy your wolf, I'm sure the fact that it has not descended from animals bred for generations to have accept human contact won't have any impact on your ability to care for it or its unique needs (wolves aren't just dogs that live in the woods). Enjoy that turtle, I'm sure the fact that you're too much of a cheapskate to buy a UV lamp and research what the species in question needs in terms of food, water, and habitat won't result in it dying several decades prematurely.
Fiber Arts Enthusiast

EDIT: Aaaand my 10,000th post is about fascism, Plato, and gay sex. This is clearly a great accomplishment.

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
  • Assume I'm crashing & burning at any given moment
« Reply #3331 on: February 17, 2014, 03:40:14 am »
Feral, it sounds like irresponsible exotic pet ownership pisses you off. If someone has the time, money, and know-how to appropriately care for an exotic animal, I say they can knock themselves out. Besides, many animals live significantly longer in captivity than they do in the wild, and education programs aren't out of the question just because an animal is hybridized.
Long Live The Queen.

Burn fire! Hellfire! Now Anita, its your turn! Choose GamerGate, or your pyre!
Be mine or you will buuurn!!

Offline Feral Dog

• The Beast
  • Caffeine, how I adore thee.
« Reply #3332 on: February 17, 2014, 05:25:40 am »
Education, sure, but not conservation. I don't think that someone who isn't part of an actual conservation/research/educational program should own wildlife. No pets, no entertainment. The entire 'pet wildlife' industry (from trappers to breeders to buyers) is irresponsible- and it's not just PETA freaks saying that. Biologists, ecologists, and other experts point out the damage caused to local ecosystems (Examples: population decline in rainforests as a direct result of the pet trade, and Florida's ongoing problems with introduced species like pythons), the introduced diseases, breeding mills for the ~20% or so animals that weren't caught in the wild, the huge percentage (as high as 90% depending on species) of animals that end up dead during transport, the lack of regulation, all before we even get into the common problems in private ownership situations or the entertainment industry. That a few animals have managed to live longer in captivity just means they are the lucky ones.
Fiber Arts Enthusiast

EDIT: Aaaand my 10,000th post is about fascism, Plato, and gay sex. This is clearly a great accomplishment.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #3333 on: February 17, 2014, 08:58:47 am »
Speaking of...

I read Sandra and Woo.

Why am i mentioning this?

I read it too.  I should catch up on it.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #3334 on: February 17, 2014, 10:04:38 am »
Feral, it sounds like irresponsible exotic pet ownership pisses you off. If someone has the time, money, and know-how to appropriately care for an exotic animal, I say they can knock themselves out. Besides, many animals live significantly longer in captivity than they do in the wild, and education programs aren't out of the question just because an animal is hybridized.

It's still dangerous and stupid on many levels, and unfair to the captive wild animals. They cannot be actual pets by definition. Few people who own exotics actually have the needed amount of money, time or expertise to keep them. What they do have is enough ego and naivete to want a "special" "pet" because it's cool and unique. Exotic pet permit requirements are laughable; exotic pet laws are actually woefully outdated, inadequate, and poorly enforced due to lack of LEO manpower to do the job. The majority of the animals suffer poor quality lives in constrained confinement that is inherently cruel for animals that naturally roam over huge territories, and that have dispositions suited to surviving; intelligence and curiosity and natural paranoia. A private owner cannot enrich a captive wild animal's enclosure enough to keep it's mind properly stimulated. It's a huge challenge in zoos, which have the expertise, manpower and facilities, so how can an exotic pet owner even come close to that level of care? Even zoo keepers admit they can barely keep their animals occupied. This is why exotic pets can be so dangerous. A captive tiger needs the same things as a wild one; to stalk grazing animals, failing often and then succeeding in a kill, it needs many square miles of wild habitat, it needs the presence of other tigers to compete over turf with and for mates. Who can provide that? Maybe Ted Turner, on his gazillion acre ranch, but nobody else.

Education, sure, but not conservation. I don't think that someone who isn't part of an actual conservation/research/educational program should own wildlife. No pets, no entertainment. The entire 'pet wildlife' industry (from trappers to breeders to buyers) is irresponsible- and it's not just PETA freaks saying that. Biologists, ecologists, and other experts point out the damage caused to local ecosystems (Examples: population decline in rainforests as a direct result of the pet trade, and Florida's ongoing problems with introduced species like pythons), the introduced diseases, breeding mills for the ~20% or so animals that weren't caught in the wild, the huge percentage (as high as 90% depending on species) of animals that end up dead during transport, the lack of regulation, all before we even get into the common problems in private ownership situations or the entertainment industry. That a few animals have managed to live longer in captivity just means they are the lucky ones.

This times ten. Even in the aquarium hobby, salt water mini reef aquarium hobbyists are evolving the hobby to depend on captive bred species of fish and crustacean that have naturally tiny territorial zones in the wild, and to grow tank raised corals and anemones only. Over capture and harvest of specimen fish, crustaceans, mollusks and coral reef chunks ("live rock") for the hobby has become a big enough problem that CITES restrictions are being enforced with vigor.  The world's reefs are dying out from temperature fluctuations and agricultural runoff fast enough. Adding in the additional destructive pressure from coral harvesting and animal capture is the icing on the cake, in a very bad way.

I live in Florida. The problem with released pet snakes has become a bigger every day nightmare than just the news stories illustrate. There's also the issue of tons of other exotic species that thrive in this climate and ecosystem. All of them from the exotic pet trade; tarantulas, poison dart frogs, toads, many species of snakes, parrots, monkeys, fish, fruit bats, etc. etc.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #3335 on: February 17, 2014, 10:44:23 am »
Here we go again! Take it to the Flame & Burn section!
http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?board=12.0

Now, there will be no more flame wars, only Best Political Cartoons.

The same holds true for the Worst Political Cartoons.

Quit flaming & trolling and stick with cartoon-posting! *SHEESH!*

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #3336 on: February 17, 2014, 10:56:43 am »
Spoiled for size:

(click to show/hide)

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #3337 on: February 17, 2014, 11:00:28 am »

Who do you see as trolling or flaming? There is discussion going on, myself and feral are quite well versed in the topic of wild animal ownership issues, and both of us offered counter arguments (as in civil, calm, knowledge-based debate arguments) to Dongy's civil, calm argument in defense of "responsible exotic pet owners", which neither of us see as a realistic standpoint, but also neither feral or myself cast any aspersion or derision towards Dongy, at all. Please, Spuki, re-read that section of the threads. No one was making any personal attacks there.

Spoiled for size:

(click to show/hide)

Awesome find, UP! Depending on which part of the world it's applied to, I think that both Huxley and Orwell got it right. PDK is a perfect distillation of "1984", with many nations being a milder mix of Orwellian dystopia. Huxley's vision certainly looks spot-on for trends in the first world nations.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 11:21:01 pm by mellenORL »
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #3338 on: February 17, 2014, 01:20:16 pm »
Orwell and Huxley:  They were both right.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #3339 on: February 17, 2014, 01:47:27 pm »
Orwell and Huxley:  They were both right.
In different ways, yes.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #3340 on: February 17, 2014, 09:09:43 pm »

YOU ARE NOT A MOD STOP TRYING TO BE ONE!

And I'm not seeing any form of flame warring but a passionate discussion.  There's a difference.  Learn it.

Ironbite-jesus christ.

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #3341 on: February 17, 2014, 11:30:24 pm »
Spoiled for size:

(click to show/hide)

That said, they were both right; Orwell was just right for a place where you and I don't live. Orwell was also a much better writer than Huxley.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline Captain Jack Harkness

• Petter, Brony, and All-Around Cartoon Addict
  • The Beast
  • Or as a friend calls him, Captain Jack Hotness!
« Reply #3342 on: February 18, 2014, 12:20:40 am »
I'd argue that you're not helping the situation with your gigantic capitalized text, ironbite.  You're not really a mod either.  Also, I realize that me calling you out on that could almost be considered hypocritical.
My friend's blog.  Check it out!

I blame/credit The Doctor with inspiring my name change.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #3343 on: February 18, 2014, 12:21:59 am »
I'd argue that you're not helping the situation with your gigantic capitalized text, ironbite.  You're not really a mod either.  Also, I realize that me calling you out on that could almost be considered hypocritical.
You've been here much longer than I have, Jack, so I'd like to ask you a question.  Was Ironbite always an asshole, or is this just a recent development?

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
  • Assume I'm crashing & burning at any given moment
« Reply #3344 on: February 18, 2014, 12:27:26 am »
DOCTAH! Oi, space man, you're needed here!
Long Live The Queen.

Burn fire! Hellfire! Now Anita, its your turn! Choose GamerGate, or your pyre!
Be mine or you will buuurn!!