Author Topic: Did Martin Luther King really say this?  (Read 5232 times)

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
Did Martin Luther King really say this?
« on: July 22, 2013, 04:48:51 am »
http://johnib.wordpress.com/2013/07/16/dr-martin-luther-king-jr-said-in-1961-do-you-know-that-negroes-are-10-percent-of-the-population-of-st-louis-and-are-responsible-for-58-of-its-crimes-weve-got-to-face-that/

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Said in 1961: “Do you know that Negroes are 10 percent of the population of St. Louis and are responsible for 58% of its crimes? We’ve got to face that.”

I saw a Facebook posting of this, but when I try to look it up, the quote is only pointed out on left-basing, right-leaning websites.  Is anyone able to shed some light on this?
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
Re: Did Martin Luther King really say this?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 05:31:23 am »
Smells like bullshit from a bovine with constipation.

But I don't have any hard evidence refuting it, so...
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 06:41:42 am »
If he did, I don't think he meant it the way that racists want to think he meant it.

He probably meant (if he said it, anyways) that you have to face the fact that there are so many crimes done by black people based on certain factors such as poverty. Poverty forces the hand of many who wouldn't do a crime if they felt they had another, more legal choice.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

QueenofHearts

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 06:59:04 am »
If he did, I don't think he meant it the way that racists want to think he meant it.

He probably meant (if he said it, anyways) that you have to face the fact that there are so many crimes done by black people based on certain factors such as poverty. Poverty forces the hand of many who wouldn't do a crime if they felt they had another, more legal choice.

Don't forget police profiling. A good example is marijuana laws. More white people than black or latino people smoke pot but most pot busts are on blacks and latinos. It's the old saying "if you look hard enough you will find something." And well, police do tend to give second, third, and fourth looks to racial minorities while hardly paying attention to their first look at white people in similar situations.

I couldn't find anything on Dr. King saying that. The most reputable source I found was a WSJ opinion piece on Zimmerman & Martin... I also wouldn't put it past Dr. King to have said that in reference to police profiling, assuming he said it all. I would wait a few days and see what Snopes says, cause this seems like their forte.

Offline MadmanJohnson

• Wrath of Primus
  • Pope
  • Able to creep out Deimos.
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 07:11:38 am »
Bullshit.
Before you die an agonizing, chainsaw-related death, you're gonna hear about the Hate Plague!
I'm accusing you of being stupid.
I dare to be stupid.

Offline mythbuster43

• Pope
    • Northwest View
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 10:45:38 am »
It's possible he did say this. Of course, assuming that this is true, he isn't the only one to address the black-on-black crime issue. Bill Clinton brought it up in a speech in Memphis back in 1993, on the 25th Anniversary of the Sanitation Strike.

Offline KZN02

• The Beast
  • The Master of Tediousness
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2013, 01:33:15 pm »
Checking snopes.com, I found nothing.
What is, is not; what is not, is.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2013, 03:16:31 pm »
Perhaps one can share it with the Snopes folks.

Offline Sixth Monarchist

• God
  • The spirit of 1776.
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2013, 05:31:00 pm »
It doesn't sound like MLK (he wasn't one to quote statistics, on the whole) and the Wall Street Journal was the most credible source I found. The WSJ isn't exactly solid - it is, after all, owned by that Australian bastard.*

(click to show/hide)
Marvel reviews, "Last Movie You Watched", p. 75-76.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2013, 05:31:50 pm »
Gonna have to agree that if he did say it, it's not the way the racists think he meant it.

Ironbite-in other words, he wanted the black population to stop doing so much crime.