Author Topic: The Funny/Stupid Pics Thread  (Read 2068440 times)

Offline Hoplite

• The Beast
Re: The Funny/Stupid Pics Thread
« Reply #7035 on: August 21, 2013, 07:46:37 am »
Well if she just got out of high school, then she probably doesn't have any money, and it's probably her mom who's footing the bill for her apartment. Just because your kid turns 18 doesn't mean you're no longer obligated to care for them. I'm not saying the daughter shouldn't have to pay if she has money. If you do stupid shit, then you have to deal with the consequences; that's called being an adult. But it seems likely that the girl wouldn't have enough money on her own, and if this is the case, then I don't see how the mom going "You're 18, you deal with your shit now," is any better than what she's doing now.

I think for the most part he was just saying there was an online backlash at the mother, and that it was predictable from the internet. Anyway, here's the story and video I found off google: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2336036/Mother-sparks-firestorm-online-posting-graphic-video-teen-daughter-breaking-feet-pool-jump-raise-money-expenses.html
Good luck is nothing but being in shape to act with the universe when the universe says, "Now!" - John Gardner, The Sunlight Dialogues

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
« Reply #7036 on: August 21, 2013, 08:01:01 am »
I feel like a kitten sneezing would "spark [a] firestorm online". I don't see anything wrong with it. She shattered her ankles. That's punishment enough. No need to spitefully try to ruin her life further.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #7037 on: August 21, 2013, 08:02:20 am »
I wish it were a sitcom. Working from 2 in the afternoon to 10 at night with no lunch break was anything but funny.

She was such a bitch I quit within a month.

In Canada, it's illegal to make your employees work 8-hour shifts without one unpaid 30-minute break and two paid 15-minute breaks. Is this not the case in the States?

In the US, it's one unpaid 15-minute break per 8-hour shift.
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #7038 on: August 21, 2013, 12:51:28 pm »
Spoilered for size:

(click to show/hide)
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #7039 on: August 21, 2013, 01:04:54 pm »
Personally, I prefer "social justice fuckwit" or "social justice idiot".

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #7040 on: August 21, 2013, 01:42:54 pm »

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #7041 on: August 21, 2013, 02:21:04 pm »
I feel like a kitten sneezing would "spark [a] firestorm online". I don't see anything wrong with it. She shattered her ankles. That's punishment enough. No need to spitefully try to ruin her life further.

Nobody is being "spiteful" or "trying to ruin her life." She was an adult living independently who did something dumb and injured herself and her mother was trying to keep her from suffering the consequences.

If the girl was replaced with a 28-year-old redneck man who prefaced his jump with "Hold my beer", would you be so willing to say that it's "punishment enough" that he got hurt?
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Yla

• The Beast
« Reply #7042 on: August 21, 2013, 02:30:28 pm »
Asking for charity is not necessarily 'keep from suffering the consequences'.
That said, I've stopped trying to anticipate what people around here want a while ago, I've found it makes things smoother.
For I was an hungred, and ye told me to pull myself up by my bootstraps: I was thirsty, and ye demanded payment for the privilege of thine urine: I was a stranger, and ye deported me: naked, and ye arrested me for indecency.

Offline Valerius

• Pope
  • Gentlemen.
« Reply #7043 on: August 21, 2013, 02:47:04 pm »
Because giving a shit about your daughter and asking for donations to help pay for a treatment that neither of you can afford is totally an attempt to avoid the consequences.  ::)

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #7044 on: August 21, 2013, 03:13:13 pm »
Because giving a shit about your daughter and asking for donations to help pay for a treatment that neither of you can afford is totally an attempt to avoid the consequences.  ::)

She's not raising money for the treatment. The donation site and the Daily Mail article posted on the previous page both state that she's raising her daughter's living expenses. The donations she's asking for are 100% for rent, utilities, and the like that she can't pay for while out of work for 6 weeks because she jumped off a roof like an idiot.

This isn't some tragedy befalling a family that can't afford medical care. This is a girl who reaches adulthood and celebrates her new independence with a dumb stunt. What on Earth obligates anyone to help pay for the consequences any more than they should pay for the consequences of anyone in the innumerable "Fail compilation" videos on Youtube where youths fuck up parkour or ill-advised backyard motorcycle stunts?

Offline Valerius

• Pope
  • Gentlemen.
« Reply #7045 on: August 21, 2013, 03:30:04 pm »

She's not raising money for the treatment. The donation site and the Daily Mail article posted on the previous page both state that she's raising her daughter's living expenses. The donations she's asking for are 100% for rent, utilities, and the like that she can't pay for while out of work for 6 weeks because she jumped off a roof like an idiot.

This isn't some tragedy befalling a family that can't afford medical care. This is a girl who reaches adulthood and celebrates her new independence with a dumb stunt. What on Earth obligates anyone to help pay for the consequences any more than they should pay for the consequences of anyone in the innumerable "Fail compilation" videos on Youtube where youths fuck up parkour or ill-advised backyard motorcycle stunts?

I rescind my previous statements. I should have actually read the article, but instead I just assumed the donation fund was to pay for the medical bills. Lazy mistake on my part. Anyway, in this case, yeah I agree. If it were my kid who did something stupid like that, I wouldn't ask for help for my kid to pay expenses, I'd force them to move back in with me. moving out and living on your own takes a certain amount of maturity, and after this stupid stunt, I'm a lot less inclined to believe that this girl has that.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #7046 on: August 21, 2013, 03:49:45 pm »

Oh look the very biggest clue-by-4 I can find to use to hit upside your fucking head.

Ironbite-and oh look a free airline ticket that goes to Orlando....SEE YA IN A FEW!

Offline Hoplite

• The Beast
« Reply #7047 on: August 21, 2013, 04:07:03 pm »
For my part, I hope that "boyfriend" is out working 2 or 3 shift jobs to pay for her living expenses. It's the very least he can do as he cajoled her off the roof. But somehow I bet he isn't doing anything.
Good luck is nothing but being in shape to act with the universe when the universe says, "Now!" - John Gardner, The Sunlight Dialogues

Offline R. U. Sirius

• He Who Must Be Smooched By Cute FSTDT Forumgirls
  • The Beast
  • Just look at me. Who could distrust this face?
« Reply #7048 on: August 21, 2013, 07:10:51 pm »

Nobody is being "spiteful" or "trying to ruin her life." She was an adult living independently who did something dumb and injured herself and her mother was trying to keep her from suffering the consequences.

If the girl was replaced with a 28-year-old redneck man who prefaced his jump with "Hold my beer", would you be so willing to say that it's "punishment enough" that he got hurt?

Yes. Consider that since she probably can't work with two shattered ankles, she has no income of her own. No income equals no medical bills, no rent, no food, no utilities, and very likely homelessness, were it not for her mother's help and any money her mother manages to raise with the online charity. You see similar patterns all the time with families that are bankrupted by medical expenses from disease or injury, and it's unconscionable that a society that prides itself on being "the best in the world" allows it to happen.

The fact that she got hurt and is probably going to have a long, slow recovery process (and I mean full recovery, not just being able to shuffle along in something that might generously be called a walk) is more than enough punishment. If her mother wants to help her keep her apartment, that's her choice. You KNOW the daughter's never going to live it down.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 07:14:39 pm by R. U. Sirius »
http://www.gofundme.com/kw5o78
My GoFundMe campaign. Donations are greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/user/RUSirius1/submitted
My Imgur account. Upvotes always appreciated

If you look at it logically, cannibalism has great potential to simultaneously solve our overpopulation and food shortage problems.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #7049 on: August 21, 2013, 07:29:14 pm »

Oh look the very biggest clue-by-4 I can find to use to hit upside your fucking head.

Ironbite-and oh look a free airline ticket that goes to Orlando....SEE YA IN A FEW!

Have you ever posted in response to me that wasn't being insulting?

chitoryu12-I thought not.

Yes. Consider that since she probably can't work with two shattered ankles, she has no income of her own. No income equals no medical bills, no rent, no food, no utilities, and very likely homelessness, were it not for her mother's help and any money her mother manages to raise with the online charity. You see similar patterns all the time with families that are bankrupted by medical expenses from disease or injury, and it's unconscionable that a society that prides itself on being "the best in the world" allows it to happen.

I'm pretty sure if she ended up kicked out of her place that she's living with her friend in, she'd just end up moving back home. And again, there's zero mention of the charity paying for medical bills. The family's not going to be bankrupt. The girl's missing 6 weeks of work because she was an oaf without sense.

Charity isn't for stupid people who pull stupid stunts and hurt themselves! Nobody is being bankrupted by medical bills. There was no corporation that screwed her over. Her family isn't going to lose their home caring for her. This is nothing more than someone doing an idiotic thing and her family trying to keep her from facing the consequences. What would have happened if she was 10 years older and didn't have her parents to fall back on when she jumped off a roof? She's not an impressionable child. She was old enough to know better.