Author Topic: Last Movie You Watched?  (Read 275073 times)

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
Re: Last Movie You Watched?
« Reply #615 on: July 14, 2013, 06:50:20 am »
Watched Mama and Evil Dead (2013)

Mama was...okay. Evil dead is so AWESOME. It just has so many brutal moments. So brutal and vicious :D

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 06:59:52 am by Hofstadter's Tortoise »
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
« Reply #616 on: July 14, 2013, 07:21:05 am »
Watched Mama and Evil Dead (2013)

Mama was...okay. Evil dead is so AWESOME. It just has so many brutal moments. So brutal and vicious :D

(click to show/hide)
I fucking love him.

(click to show/hide)
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #617 on: July 14, 2013, 11:47:57 pm »
Went and saw The Lone Ranger. I really don't get all the bad press it's receiving. It's certainly not a bad movie, and contrary to the horribly incorrect statements some have made, Tonto is NOT just a sidekick. In fact, the Lone Ranger spends most of the movie trying to learn how to be a badass while Tonto solves most of the problems. And for anyone who thinks that Tonto's appearance and behavior are somehow racist or were the result of the filmmakers not caring about actual Native American culture, they include a highly important scene with the Comanche that demonstrates why Tonto's behavior (like the bird on his head) are what he does.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #618 on: July 15, 2013, 04:17:33 am »
Pacific Rim.

Robot Jox + Godzilla = Pacific Rim.  If you can imagine that then you probably don't really need to see this film because it's exactly what you can already see in your head.

I'm totally serious btw.  Del Torro is clearly a massive fan of both movies.  One of the "robots" in Pacific Rim even does this exact same thing (at the 1:21 mark):

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUxDmKFCD2o" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUxDmKFCD2o</a>

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #619 on: July 15, 2013, 04:53:26 am »
Went and saw The Lone Ranger. I really don't get all the bad press it's receiving. It's certainly not a bad movie, and contrary to the horribly incorrect statements some have made, Tonto is NOT just a sidekick. In fact, the Lone Ranger spends most of the movie trying to learn how to be a badass while Tonto solves most of the problems. And for anyone who thinks that Tonto's appearance and behavior are somehow racist or were the result of the filmmakers not caring about actual Native American culture, they include a highly important scene with the Comanche that demonstrates why Tonto's behavior (like the bird on his head) are what he does.

I think the big thing people have against the film is they didn't actually bother getting a Native American to play Tonto and got Depp to do it instead.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #620 on: July 15, 2013, 05:14:02 am »

I think the big thing people have against the film is they didn't actually bother getting a Native American to play Tonto and got Depp to do it instead.

Well, I won't bother to discuss further about how Depp possibly has Cherokee heritage and was formally accepted into the Comanche and given a Native American name.

What I WILL discuss is that it doesn't matter. The important part of casting a role is that the person can actually do the role, not that they have an identical ethnicity to the character. You're not creating a clone of the fictional character. If the person looks the part well enough and can act better than the people of "proper" ethnicity, why would you choose someone inferior? Other than to avoid seeming racist to ignorant people?

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #621 on: July 15, 2013, 11:45:19 am »
Most of the complaining that I've come across about has been from retards who scream about "Tonto" being a whiteman's version of Native Americans, meanwhile ignoring what Tonto actually does. I need to see, I just don't have the money to do so right now.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #622 on: July 15, 2013, 03:40:27 pm »
Most of the complaining that I've come across about has been from retards who scream about "Tonto" being a whiteman's version of Native Americans, meanwhile ignoring what Tonto actually does. I need to see, I just don't have the money to do so right now.

Like I said, they explain Tonto's weird behavior. It's established that Tonto is NOT how Native Americans act, and the Comanche themselves consider him to essentially be a lunatic. They explain his backstory and why he's part of the plot in the first place: basically, the dude is REALLY mentally scarred.

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #623 on: July 16, 2013, 10:40:01 pm »
The Dark Knight Rises

Offline Alehksunos

• Transvestite Boo-kin
  • The Beast
  • Gay Witch for Abortion
« Reply #624 on: July 17, 2013, 12:51:48 am »
A couple of hours ago:

Rise of the Guardians.

Most people rail on Dreamworks' animated features (the CG films) for being annoying, soulless and vulgar, and I to a very large degree agree with that. This film, however, represented none of the grating stereotypes of animated features coming from that company. For a great deal of the time, I had a smile on my face. Great job, Dreamworks, for another animated feature after How to Train Your Dragon that left a great number of people (and skeptics) impressed.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #625 on: July 19, 2013, 08:48:57 am »
Shocker, last night.  Its got its hilarious, over-the-top moments (as is common in every slasher flick ever), but I actually find myself liking it, and the villain.  Oh, he's not sympathetic in the least, but he's actually pretty effective.  Plus, this is its theme, which is pretty damned cool considering it came out of the 80s (89, to be exact, same year I was born!):

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dgbcPl6TxI" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dgbcPl6TxI</a>
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #626 on: July 19, 2013, 11:03:01 pm »
Pacific Rim.

Ironbite-yeah...

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #627 on: July 20, 2013, 12:17:24 am »
RIPD. I was already a bit worried, since it wasn't screened for critics and it got bashed in the reviews.

I can see why. Jeff Bridges and Ryan Reynolds honest to God seemed like they were ad libbing almost all of the dialogue in the film, especially the best lines. There's no way the "Coyote made love to my skull" conversation was in the script. And judging from the expressions they were making at each other, I think I was right.

Also, Ryan Reynolds literally does not change his facial expression through the entire movie. He can emote with his voice somewhat, but that's the only way to tell what his character is thinking at any given time. Dude's funny as shit, but he's a wall.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #628 on: July 20, 2013, 12:40:48 am »
Pacific Rim.

Ironbite-yeah...

Two important questions:
a) Was the movie mostly about giant robots punching Kaiju as was promised by the trailer?
and
b) Was the movie at least entertaining? (Hint, saying no to a will mean that, no it won't be entertaining.)

I'm not expecting a great movie with interesting characters and a amazing plot from that, but maybe something that might be funny if you turn off your brain before the film starts.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Flying Mint Bunny!

• Zoot be praised and to His Chosen victory
  • The Beast
« Reply #629 on: July 20, 2013, 09:05:07 am »
Star Trek: Into Darkness

I couldn't afford to see it at the cinema, and when I found out it wasn't coming out on DVD till September I caved and just watched it online.

I thought it was quite good.

Personally, I think Scotty was a lot better in this one. I didn't like him at all in the first film, because he was just this stereotypical comic relief character with no real personality. He was more like a real person in this one though, so that was good.

I didn't think there was enough Chekov, but can you ever have enough Chekov? I don't think so.