Author Topic: Last Movie You Watched?  (Read 274932 times)

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
Re: Last Movie You Watched?
« Reply #735 on: September 12, 2013, 04:06:53 pm »
I'm not sure my dad understood that even if the original Khan was played by a hispanic pretending to be Indian, it was still better than a white boy pretending to be Indian.

There's still a lot of argument about it, but it's not clear if this Khan is 100% meant to be identical to the original Khan in every sense.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #736 on: September 12, 2013, 04:20:05 pm »
I'm not sure my dad understood that even if the original Khan was played by a hispanic pretending to be Indian, it was still better than a white boy pretending to be Indian.

There's still a lot of argument about it, but it's not clear if this Khan is 100% meant to be identical to the original Khan in every sense.

Well the first movie established that basically everything is different now (New Spock pretty much says that himself) so I guess anything goes.

Offline SimSim

• Lover of Good Beer and Bad Movies
  • The Beast
  • I have a cunning plan
« Reply #737 on: September 12, 2013, 04:44:00 pm »
Halfway through the ABCs of Death, got up to L. F was just plain horrible. C and D were interesting. H was sheer what the fuck?! And L managed to kill my L. I think the biggest problem with the movie is that it's hard to do meaningful storytelling in only 5-6 minutes. So most of the directors resorted to shock value.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #738 on: September 12, 2013, 05:31:37 pm »

Well the first movie established that basically everything is different now (New Spock pretty much says that himself) so I guess anything goes.

Also, in case this Khan really IS meant to be Indian and there's no "future plastic surgery" explanation for him being white, there are natural-born whites in India, and it's quite conceivable that someone with one Anglo-Indian parent and one white parent would simply look Caucasian. A British accent from an Indian white is downright expected, considering the history of British colonialism that led to this in the first place.

In a sense, Benedict Cumberbatch is MORE believable as a native Indian than a Mexican.

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #739 on: September 12, 2013, 05:44:54 pm »

Also, in case this Khan really IS meant to be Indian and there's no "future plastic surgery" explanation for him being white, there are natural-born whites in India, and it's quite conceivable that someone with one Anglo-Indian parent and one white parent would simply look Caucasian. A British accent from an Indian white is downright expected, considering the history of British colonialism that led to this in the first place.

In a sense, Benedict Cumberbatch is MORE believable as a native Indian than a Mexican.

Huh, you have quite a good point there actually.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #740 on: September 12, 2013, 10:25:21 pm »
Either way, complaints about race washing are unfounded: they decided later on that they should make Harrison into Khan (after realizing how similar everything was to Star Trek 2 and that the "legitimate alternate universe instead of a reboot" angle introduced in the first film with Spock Prime would let them take advantage of that), and you can't exactly get rid of Benedict Cumberbatch once you have him.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #741 on: September 13, 2013, 08:59:20 am »
Which just makes it weaker anyways. Khan was a modified super man. But there's nothing that says he could have been the only one who was to fight the parallel world Enterprise crew.

Still, I have my problems and most people have agreed with me about it. I only got annoyed with my dad because he constantly ignored my opinion and put it down as being too irrational.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 09:01:28 am by Booker DeWitt »

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #742 on: September 13, 2013, 10:00:34 am »
Still, I have my problems...

Well, one for me is Cumberbatch's general physique.  Despite having put on weight for the role he's a bit skinny for a superhumanly strong man.  I know he doesn't have to be built like a 28 year old Arnie, as his strength is from gentic engineering not working out, but he should still NOT look like a mild breeze could knock him over.

Yeah, Kahn has superior intellect too, and Cumberbatch is good at being psychologically intimidating more than physically intimidating (like he's going to fuck you up by outthinking you, not by out punching you and he makes sure you know that without just outright saying it) but i still say he's too thin.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #743 on: September 13, 2013, 12:11:58 pm »
Well, one for me is Cumberbatch's general physique.  Despite having put on weight for the role he's a bit skinny for a superhumanly strong man.  I know he doesn't have to be built like a 28 year old Arnie, as his strength is from gentic engineering not working out, but he should still NOT look like a mild breeze could knock him over.

This is how he looked after the end of filming.

"Mild breeze" my ass.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Kakarot
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #744 on: September 13, 2013, 01:30:10 pm »
Too bad he didn't look like that in the actual movie.

&
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #745 on: September 14, 2013, 12:48:40 am »
Halfway through the ABCs of Death, got up to L. F was just plain horrible. C and D were interesting. H was sheer what the fuck?! And L managed to kill my L. I think the biggest problem with the movie is that it's hard to do meaningful storytelling in only 5-6 minutes. So most of the directors resorted to shock value.

F was definitely one of the worst, and I found L utterly repulsive with zero value whatsoever.

(click to show/hide)

My favourites were D, N, S and U, and there were a few others I didn't mind (C, G, M, X, etc.) I mostly liked P, but I thought one scene was unnecessary and took away from the message of the short.

Along with F and L, the ones I really hated were O (pretentious BS), J (stupid), W (so fucking stupid), and Z (mix of repulsive, stupid and pretentious).

Everything else ranged from mediocre to crappy.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 12:54:27 am by Mlle Antéchrist »
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #746 on: September 14, 2013, 01:48:33 am »
Too bad he didn't look like that in the actual movie.

This is right after filming concluded, so he DID look like that. He was just wearing a tight shirt the whole time.

Even I end up looking skinnier than usual in tight clothing than I do shirtless.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Kakarot
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #747 on: September 14, 2013, 02:02:23 am »
Muscles don't play hide and seek.

&

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #748 on: September 14, 2013, 02:05:12 am »
Muscles don't play hide and seek.

You would be surprised. Again, I've worn clothing like that. It has to be extraordinarily tight and you need extraordinary definition (like, washboard stiffness) for it to really be visible except as a very general shape.

Hell, the dude went up something like 2 suit sizes from his Sherlock appearance from his workouts.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Kakarot
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #749 on: September 14, 2013, 02:06:23 am »
So have I?

Either way, I still have my problems with him. And it wasn't even that to begin with.

&