Author Topic: Student arrested for throwing tantrum  (Read 7280 times)

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
Re: Student arrested for throwing tantrum
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2012, 04:23:35 pm »
^

Look, if she's tossing furniture around and managed to injure the principal, perhaps by one of said airborne furniture things, she's gone beyond tantrum and has gone into a frenzy.

Your tantruming bitey cousins are honestly not in the same league.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Dantes Virgil

• Bishop
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2012, 05:23:28 pm »
There don't seem to be many good solutions to handling these sorts of situations.  It's totally dependent on the context.  My friend can wrestle down teenage boys and hang onto them and restrain them.  But there are all sorts of checklists and documentation that she and her coworkers have to do in case a parent (or the kids, who sometimes try to get the adults in trouble) bitches about having their out of control kid constrained.  I understand why these safeguards are in place, both for the kids and the adults involved, but seeing how many hoops they all have to jump through to make sure that a kid doesn't damage them, other students, the kid's self -- it's enough to make your head spin and make you a cynic.  It really depends on what sort of rules this school has to abide by in terms of responding to children's behaviors.  That's one of the other things we don't know; depending on the level of violation, they may be required to bring the police into the matter and have the kid removed from school.  They may not legally be allowed to sit there with the child until a parent shows up.

I'm also willing to bet that no matter how the situation was handled, there would be an outrage somewhere over it.  If the cop had cuffed her to a bench, it would've been "OMG cops cuffed this little six year old to a bench!!  Brutality!  They should've just put her in the car."  It really just seems to be a lose-lose situation many times.  I noticed the parent in the article wasn't saying a word over her kid throwing things around and hurting someone else -- just expressing anger that her daughter might be unsettled by having visited jail.  Well...I think as a parent I'd be a bit more concerned about why this happened in the first place.  And I agree with others that figuring out the reason for this fit is critical.  These things don't just happen in a vacuum. 

Offline speshuled67

• Apprentice
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2012, 06:02:22 pm »
teachers have changed, im not that old, (26) but i remember being in kindergarten and the principal being allowed to throw down the occasional yard-stick to the behind, wasn't a federal case.

i remember i was a counselor at a camp for troubled kids, and one kid didn't bring his medication for the week. he was constantly on the verge of losing it. one day he was running his mouth and i handed him the broom to clean the bathroom, he lost it and attacked me with the broom. i was 17 and he was 8, and im not a big guy. i got hit by the broom a bunch leaving some nasty knots on my head and welts on my arms, but i managed to get him in a head lock and pin him to the ground until he decided to calm down, which was like 7 or 8 minutes in full view of other counselors.

needless to say, i wish somebody had had a pair of handcuffs.

every situation is different, i would think that school security [do they still have security guards at school? they actively broke up fights in my middle school] would be enough to subdue and reasonably restrain a kid who is freaking out like that, i dont think you need actual outside police to help out.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”

-Isaac Asimov

Offline DasFuchs

• God
  • Ruler of his own little world since 1977
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2012, 07:01:50 pm »
I was gonna post this story, but I guess you beat me to it.

I've seen kids freak the hell out and the can do more than you think. School desks aren't particularly heavy, and you don't need to be able to lift a heavy bookshelf to tip it over on someone(think of people who tip vending machines).

That said, it sound like it's extreme, but at the same time I'm not sure what else one would do. It sounds like there were a few people there trying to calm her down and it wasn't working.

I remember one time in 7th grade when a mentally retarded girl who was in my "do homework or something" class freaked out(not the first time she did by any means). She ran up and down the halls screaming and at one point shouting, "STOP CHASING ME! I'LL JUMP OUT THE WINDOW(we were on the 2nd story)! DON'T CALL THE COPS!" She also threw chairs around the classroom, flipped a table and ran down the hall banging on the walls. The teacher, a couple of other kids in the class, and me tried to calm her down and eventually succeeded.  Later that day when I was talking to a friend who had a class down the hall when this happened when he asked me if I knew what on earth that noise was that morning. I told him, "oh it's just Marcee having a freak out again". Did I mention this girl had a beard? (To be clear I'm not trying to make fun of retarded kids or anything.)

I had one come through the drive thru at mickey d's years ago with his grandmother. Looked like he was about 10. He wanted a lemonade and we didn't sell that, he flipped the fuck out and started beating his grandmother in the head till she could get out of the car. That shut everything down for two hours while the parents were called, the police were called, paramedics were called and they finally held the kid down and sedated him.

Honestly most police departments have rules about cuffs in their cars because it's supposed to be for safety, both for the occupant who is somewhat restrained from going apeshit and hurting themselves, and the cops from someone beating on the glass or trying to reach through the openings and such.

But I get it, it's another incident of goosestepping jackbooted thugs again, so carry on
"To a New Yorker like you, a hero is some type of weird sandwich. Not some nut that takes on two Tigers!" "You gotta hit'em point blank in the ass!" Oddball

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2012, 09:55:36 pm »
I've been bit and hit by kids before. They are not as weak as you think they are when something triggers their fight or flight kinda bullshit.  One kid I know managed to throw his desk out the damn window, shattering it, while throwing someone else through that now broken window. We were only pre-teens at the time. Hardly what you'd call strong monsters. Also, teachers aren't exactly trained to pull martial arts to subdue their students.

There is only so much you can do in such a setting. There's only so much you can do when a child is a danger to themselves and others. Also, handcuffing someone to a bench? Yeah, someone's seen too many movies. You know the damage one can do to themselves if they're attached to a bench? With the kid the way she was acting? Besides that good luck actually getting her strapped down onto the bench without even more damage getting caused to you or the kid.

The kid needs mental help.

I don't know this particular school regardless of it being in my state. School districts have different ways of handling things. Back up in Ohio, the police were brought in for many things like assault and the like on school grounds. Hell, I saw one kid go out in cuffs one time. So...

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!