Author Topic: Public defender arrested for defending her client  (Read 4083 times)

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
Re: Public defender arrested for defending her client
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2015, 04:36:41 pm »
Apart from anything else, how fucking stupid do you have to be to do something like this to a fucking LAWYER??  Did he really think that would go well for him??

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2015, 04:46:29 pm »
I'm sure he thought he could get away with it. That she'd be cowed by his tough guy attitude and let him do what he wanted.
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2015, 04:49:44 pm »
If this guy was a serial killer, and they found him with a victim, with a murder weapon dripping blood, and the cop pulled this...HE'D GET OFF SCOTT FREE!

Ironbite-for fuck's sake how do you fuck that up?

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2015, 04:55:51 pm »
You'd think a cop would remember the Miranda Warning enough to note the line about "You have the right to have an attorney present during questioning."

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2015, 05:39:48 pm »
You'd think a cop would remember the Miranda Warning enough to note the line about "You have the right to have an attorney present during questioning."

Keep in mind that the US Supreme Court ruled a while ago that things the arrested individual does before being read the warning are admissible (which made Ginsburg comment that they should have just scrapped the warning entirely due to pointlessness). Maybe the cop heard about that and read too much into it.

Or, more likely, he's a complete retard who made this an open-and-shut case for the defence.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2015, 02:19:10 am »

Keep in mind that the US Supreme Court ruled a while ago that things the arrested individual does before being read the warning are admissible (which made Ginsburg comment that they should have just scrapped the warning entirely due to pointlessness). Maybe the cop heard about that and read too much into it.

Or, more likely, he's a complete retard who made this an open-and-shut case for the defence.

So Miranda rights don't matter anymore? In that case maybe the only stupid thing this cop did was arresting the lawyer and had she agreed to his suggestion to abandon her client this stupid tactic would have worked?

Actually, since the supreme court agrees that the police can question suspects without a lawyer and it is totally kosher, wouldn't that mean that the cop has a case for claiming that she was obstructing him in his duty?
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2015, 02:39:08 am »

So Miranda rights don't matter anymore? In that case maybe the only stupid thing this cop did was arresting the lawyer and had she agreed to his suggestion to abandon her client this stupid tactic would have worked?

Actually, since the supreme court agrees that the police can question suspects without a lawyer and it is totally kosher, wouldn't that mean that the cop has a case for claiming that she was obstructing him in his duty?

Arrested people still have Miranda rights. It's just that previously, they had to be informed of them before statements became admissible; now, they don't.
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2015, 03:42:34 am »
"Arrested for resisting arrest"

I got nothing.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2015, 03:50:55 am »

I got nothing.

It's what they arrest you for when they want to arrest you but don't have any reason to arrest you.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2015, 04:50:04 am »

I got nothing.

It's what they arrest you for when they want to arrest you but don't have any reason to arrest you.

Usually there would be something like "obstruction of justice" or something and the "resisting arrest" bit would simply be an aggravating factor that gets tagged along with all the other charges. And I fully accept using it as such but the fact that the cop couldn't think of any other reason to arrest her (and STILL decided to arrest her) together with all his other actions (like a quote from the earlier racial profiling case) make me think that he really does not know how the laws work and is generally incompetent...
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!