Author Topic: I hoped this was a poe...  (Read 4977 times)

Offline rageaholic

• The Beast
I hoped this was a poe...
« on: May 27, 2013, 10:14:52 am »
but I don't think it is.

One beautiful dress after another strolled across the silver screen — and the women wearing them were elegant, self-assured and regal. Oh, how I love old black and white movies! As “The End” scrolled up the screen, my daughter sighed and asked, “Why don’t women dress like that anymore?”

Why indeed! Why don’t men hold doors open for women? Why are teens targeted with “paranormal” romance novels and movies? And why is life not respected from conception to natural death?

Our culture has fallen into irreverence and, like frogs in boiling water, we’ve become desensitized to it all … or have we? Isn’t it nice to see men who still have a sense of chivalry? I’ve found that when I’m dressed in a neat, modest and feminine manner, men will hold doors for me, help me find things at the hardware store, and offer to put my carry-on luggage in the overhead compartment. I’m not trying to manipulate men, but dressing more feminine certainly brings out a man’s God-given virtues.

She goes on about how women dressing immodestly is objectively wrong and how our culture is going to hell because we're not as strict about these traditions.  I cannot stress how much I hate, no DESPISE this moral objectivist bullshit.  Cause it has nothing to do with morals, it's about forcing your traditions on everyone. 

The last two paragraph are the icing on the cake. 

Until Rome changes them or says otherwise, those are the guidelines. Pius XII said, “To say that ‘modesty is a matter of custom’ is just as wrong as to say that ‘honesty is a matter of custom.’” There are absolutes. And the Church has continued to talk about modesty since then and has never once abrogated those guidelines.

When the morality of women declines, the entire culture implodes around it — so it’s essential that women embrace their God-given feminine role. We can get back to the elegance and dignity of the old black and white movies, but only if we as families are willing to take action now.

I gotta stop finding this shit. 

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
Re: I hoped this was a poe...
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 10:34:20 am »
Being helped by a man (or woman) when you are all dressed up may also be because they recognize that it would be bothersome to possibly get that outfit mussed or stained while digging in the nut and bolt bins, you know?

I've actually done exactly that at Home Depot, when I saw a lady dressed beautifully for a funeral who was there looking for small parts, to repair her suitcase trolley wheels before heading back to the airport to fly home.

If you are wearing high heels, schlepping heavy items can be dangerous. I think most people recognize that, and some would help with the lifting out of concern as much as chivalry. Courtesy in general is not dead, and it has jack all to do with the "morality" of women.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 10:53:52 am »
I generally hold doors for people regardless of gender.

Offline R. U. Sirius

• He Who Must Be Smooched By Cute FSTDT Forumgirls
  • The Beast
  • Just look at me. Who could distrust this face?
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 10:55:13 am »

Same here.
http://www.gofundme.com/kw5o78
My GoFundMe campaign. Donations are greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/user/RUSirius1/submitted
My Imgur account. Upvotes always appreciated

If you look at it logically, cannibalism has great potential to simultaneously solve our overpopulation and food shortage problems.

Offline rageaholic

• The Beast
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2013, 11:10:01 am »

Same here.

That makes 3. 

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2013, 11:15:01 am »

Oh what the heck, easily 100% of the forum members do this. Common courtesy.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2013, 11:25:13 am »
Five.

Also, this weird fundy lady should keep in mind that actors back in the old days could be just as "immoral" as the stars of today....they just didn't have paparazzis up their noses all the time so the world only saw their "good side".

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2013, 11:52:50 am »
"We can get back to the elegance and dignity of the old black and white movies..."

You know what black and white movies showed? Men in suits and women in elegant gowns who would spend half the day chatting in the library while drinking scotch, then dine out later that night at a luxurious restaurant where they're served eight courses. You know what they didn't show? The higher rates at which women were raped. Their lack of basic human rights. Their obligation to obey the husband and keep their mouth shut, even with any abuse. The shame they faced if they wanted an education, or if they stepped outside any societal boundaries, because god forbid they want any sort of equality.

So get your head out of your ass and stop using old films as any sort of guideline for an ideal society, you twat.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline rageaholic

• The Beast
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2013, 12:51:50 pm »
I wouldn't be surprised if she considers human rights anti Christian or some shit (it's actually not an uncommon view for nutcases like her).  These ultra conservative traditionalists put their narrow minded culture above the wants or needs of people.  Even if everyone didn't want to live her way, she'd still be imposing her narrow minded morals on everyone else.  After all, in her eyes, she's objectively right. 

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2013, 02:23:58 pm »
"We can get back to the elegance and dignity of the old black and white movies..."

You know what black and white movies showed? Men in suits and women in elegant gowns who would spend half the day chatting in the library while drinking scotch, then dine out later that night at a luxurious restaurant where they're served eight courses. You know what they didn't show? The higher rates at which women were raped. Their lack of basic human rights. Their obligation to obey the husband and keep their mouth shut, even with any abuse. The shame they faced if they wanted an education, or if they stepped outside any societal boundaries, because god forbid they want any sort of equality.

So get your head out of your ass and stop using old films as any sort of guideline for an ideal society, you twat.

Look what happened to Genevieve Pilarski, for example (I started a thread about her on here).

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2013, 03:18:48 pm »
I'll try dressing in a feminine manner, but I think it's going to lead to a lot of trouble.
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline TheUnknown

• The Beast
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2013, 03:21:04 pm »

Look what happened to Genevieve Pilarski, for example (I started a thread about her on here).

I was actually going to mention that.  I doubt this woman would tell her daughter about how she could ship her off to an insane asylum if she didn't immediately kowtow to societal norms, or how she'd go to a finishing school to learn how to be a 'lady,' instead of college to learn about the career of her choice.  After all, if she told her that, her daughter probably wouldn't pine so much for the "good ol' days."

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2013, 08:25:20 am »
The elegance of black and white movies. I assume she's just going to skip the parts where the man beats the shit out of his wife for burning the roast. And her options are learning not to burn it. Or how in all those movies, the purposes of minorities were to either carry luggage or be some sort of stereotype (if they were even there). Or how, even then, movies and television were not accurate depictions of everyday life.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2013, 09:43:41 pm »
Or how, even then, movies and television were not accurate depictions of everyday life.

I'd like to coin the term "Leave It To Beaver Syndrome" for basing one's view of the past on media depictions of it.

Distind

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2013, 06:51:40 am »
Or how, even then, movies and television were not accurate depictions of everyday life.

I'd like to coin the term "Leave It To Beaver Syndrome" for basing one's view of the past on media depictions of it.
I've always been a fan of "Nostalgia for an age that never existed", also an amusing song.