Author Topic: Best Political Cartoons  (Read 1647260 times)

Offline starseeker

• God
Re: Best Political Cartoons
« Reply #1935 on: February 05, 2013, 10:19:49 am »

To explain, it's about the Tory party, our current ruling party and conservative party, having a stupid row about gay marriage. The more traditionalist parts are against, but the party heads are for it.

No idea about the skeleton though.

Offline DiscoBerry

• The Beast
    • Has the Hadron Collider Destroyed the Earth Yet?
« Reply #1936 on: February 05, 2013, 11:59:30 am »

Offline Material Defender

• Food Scientist in Space
  • The Beast
  • Pilot of the Pyro-GX
« Reply #1937 on: February 05, 2013, 02:43:34 pm »

If this child was Catholic or Liberal Protestant, he would have been given the Dunce Cap for that one.
The material needs a defender more than the spiritual. If there is a higher power, it can defend itself from the material. Thus denotes 'higher power'.

"Not to know is bad. Not to want to know is worse. Not to hope is unthinkable. Not to care is unforgivable." -Nigerian Saying

Offline Sandafluffoid

• Bishop
  • Defective Detective
« Reply #1938 on: February 05, 2013, 02:54:06 pm »

To explain, it's about the Tory party, our current ruling party and conservative party, having a stupid row about gay marriage. The more traditionalist parts are against, but the party heads are for it.

The way I interpreted it was Cameron being heckled by his own party (opposition to the bill is mostly coming from the far right of the party who seem not to realise public support for marriage equality is overwhelming). Storm in a cup because the issue is only an issue within the conservative party, and I believe fur cup because, as the giant cat in the second panel indicates, it is primarily caused by fat cats. The skeleton is, as far as I can tell from what it is reading meant to be a representative of the neo-conservative ideology in British politics? As for the Sloth with the olympic torch, I guess it is meant to be about how the olympics failed to boost our economy like the government hoped, although what it is doing here I don't know.
Oh look it's me.

Offline Auggziliary

• The Beast
  • Queen of the birdies
« Reply #1939 on: February 05, 2013, 05:29:51 pm »

The way I interpreted it was Cameron being heckled by his own party (opposition to the bill is mostly coming from the far right of the party who seem not to realise public support for marriage equality is overwhelming). Storm in a cup because the issue is only an issue within the conservative party, and I believe fur cup because, as the giant cat in the second panel indicates, it is primarily caused by fat cats. The skeleton is, as far as I can tell from what it is reading meant to be a representative of the neo-conservative ideology in British politics? As for the Sloth with the olympic torch, I guess it is meant to be about how the olympics failed to boost our economy like the government hoped, although what it is doing here I don't know.

What about the dragons looking at the fat cat?
I'm still seriously confused by this. I do like how well drawn it is though, and the lack of labels on everything.
BITCHES! YOU BITCHES! Killing me won't bring back your God damn honey!

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #1940 on: February 05, 2013, 05:39:26 pm »
Britain, what the fuck are you putting in your tea, and where can I get some?
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline starseeker

• God
« Reply #1941 on: February 05, 2013, 07:51:43 pm »
Thinking about it, the sloth is probably to do with the fact that the olympics was supposed to have young people be more active, but they're not. The whole 2 hours of PE a week thing also died.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #1942 on: February 05, 2013, 09:09:40 pm »
Those are hadrosaurs (Britain's most common dinosaur fossils) in the background...implying these Tories in a fur cup are going the way of...
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Kit Walker

• Pope
  • Grand Master Brain Wizard*
« Reply #1943 on: February 05, 2013, 10:22:14 pm »

I love that Mexico is in place of Hell. I find it hilarious for some reason. Also that Heaven and Mexico are located in the relative-but-ultimately-meaningless "up" and "down in relation to the ecliptic.
"Well believe me, Mike, I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid... and I went ahead anyway." - Crow T. Robot

*Actual title from the Universal Life Church Monastery, the outfit that ordained me as a wedding officiant.

Offline Auggziliary

• The Beast
  • Queen of the birdies
« Reply #1944 on: February 05, 2013, 10:34:34 pm »

I love that Mexico is in place of Hell. I find it hilarious for some reason. Also that Heaven and Mexico are located in the relative-but-ultimately-meaningless "up" and "down in relation to the ecliptic.

It's a very clever way to add in a "Dumb Creationists/conservatives think the world revolves around America" joke.
BITCHES! YOU BITCHES! Killing me won't bring back your God damn honey!

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #1945 on: February 05, 2013, 10:40:03 pm »

It's a very clever way to add in a "Dumb Creationists/conservatives think the world revolves around America" joke.

So if Mexico is Hell in that picture, what would that make Canada?  ;D
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline The Illusive Man

• The Beast
  • Saw the ME3 endings, got turned into a husk. :(-
« Reply #1946 on: February 06, 2013, 12:41:02 am »

I though that was a nail, as in "a want for a nail."
Despite knowing about indoctrination I thought it was a good idea to put a human Reaper near my office. Now I am a sentient husk :(.

*RRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWRRRRRRRRR* *SCREECH* *smokes*

Offline chad sexington

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #1947 on: February 06, 2013, 01:01:27 am »
It's the Growth Sloth, as in economic growth - the Olympics was projected to bring huge benefits to the UK economy, yet strangely enough, they didn't materialise (hence the tiny torch).

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #1948 on: February 06, 2013, 01:10:48 am »
Steve Bell's cartoons are confusing as fuck, but you gotta admit...that man's got some serious drawing skill.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Julian

• Pope
« Reply #1949 on: February 06, 2013, 05:01:58 am »
That was by Martin Rowson, he and Steve Bell both contribute to the same series. (The fact that Cameron's been drawn as a shiny pink condom is very Steve Bell though) I tend to prefer Rowson.

I don't really follow the series, and the fur cup thing was a bit weird (obvious storm in a tea cup metaphor aside), but I still see it a bit like they're fleas on the sloth. It was a bit telling that the fat cats were walking away from the sloth too.

The keys(?) in the pail have got me beat. Not being able to read the labels doesn't help. The skeleton in the closet is that Tony Blair ("New" Labour, who was an appalling neocon moronic twat, who ironically headed up the left wing party), and he tried to modernise his party etc. Cameron's trying to bring the whole "New Labour" modernisation/detoxification of his party, but it always was a sham, and this is just pointing out their true colours.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/cartoon/2013/feb/03/gay-marriage-debate

the dinosaur is a triple-dip diplodocus...
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/cartoon/2013/jan/25/martin-rowson-britain-gdp-cartoon

The Olympics always were going to be an anomaly and the tiny spike in GDP for that quarter was only ever going to turn the double dip recession into a triple dip one, and the death spiral from Osborne's policy has only just begun. He turned the recovery he inherited from Labour into a double dip recession, the triple-dip is as mentioned, and the worst of his policies haven't really been implemented yet. It's going to get really nasty indeed. Even the IMF, OECD and others think he's completely lost his marbles.

(Oh and there's a furry tea cup in the background there too.) --and the disappearing fat cats again.