Author Topic: Best Political Cartoons  (Read 1626813 times)

Offline DarkPhoenix

• Bishop
Re: Best Political Cartoons
« Reply #6270 on: May 20, 2020, 12:17:04 am »

So granting people the freedom to have or do what they want... is authoritarian? Huh?

The argument that you should be allowed to do WHATEVER you want without restriction or your "freedom" is being taken away is the first step in Authoritarian Libertarianism.  First, you claim "freedom" is the ability to do whatever you want, and then you claim the majority is taking away your rights.  This was in fact the argument the Libertarian movement made against DESEGREGATION; that it was wrong for the government or the majority to demand all-white schools accept black children.  They just took it to the logical conclusion; that if the most important thing in the world is that you can do whatever you want, then you should be allowed to deprive OTHER PEOPLE of what they have, because them having things you don't is infringing on your freedom.

You're entitled to your opinion, but that doesn't give you the right to arbitrarily decide what other people can and can't do. I consider the desire to smoke tobacco and marijuana irrational, but I don't want to force people to give up their smoking habits. What I do want is to keep said smoking habits from hurting other people.

It's bullshit to bring into an argument about a tool that exists SOLELY to murder other human beings things that are not.  Smoking does not exist specifically to kill something else.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #6271 on: May 21, 2020, 01:50:59 am »
Vanto, you keep using the word "arbitrarily" but only when it is something that you specifically disagree with. I don't think you understand what the word means.

That Canada does not consider a "right to bear arms" to be a human right is not an arbitrary choice. Universal Declaration of Human Rights is the opposite of "arbitrary" as it was something that drafted by 18 people specifically chosen to be from various diverse backgrounds, it was voted on by all then members of the UN and has been later approved by nearly every country in the world. This is not something that people chose as a joke or made up on the spot, it was something that was deliberate on and meticulously crafted to be as good as possible.

Same goes with the flag burning. Germany didn't just randomly decide "lol, let's make this illegal." To make a law in any country (aside from dictatorships) means that scholars, judges and politicians have carefully drafted the law and through elected politicians, the will of the voters has been the final say on whether or not the new law is to be adopted.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #6272 on: May 29, 2020, 09:39:26 am »

Welp, put a mark on the wall, Benny boy made a good comic once in a while. Heck, he's not even using that many labels this time.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Vanto

• Bishop
« Reply #6273 on: May 29, 2020, 12:55:01 pm »

The right to bear arms is an inherent human right, not some privilege granted by governments.

Well in Canada it isn't. Canada has really strict gun laws requiring you to attain a license depending on what kind of firearm you want to purchase. Which requires you to take the Canada's firearms safety course. As well as pass a psychiatric evaluation and a full on background check. Every gun you buy has a 28 day waiting period. The only guns that don't require a license are hunting rifles, but hunting also has it's own rules and regulations. So the right to own a gun is not guaranteed which is why Canada has a really low fire arm homicide rate. Two per one hundred thousand people than it's neighbor down south.

Now I agree that banning fifteen hundred types of guns is a bit extreme. When the real problem is smuggling guns in from the US.

Just because Canada doesn't recognize it as a human right doesn't mean it's not a human right.

What the fuck are you talking about? The shooting spree that were referring to took place in Canada. There's no right to bear arms in Canada and firearms are heavily regulated. Your argument makes as much sense as saying Just because (insert country) doesn't recognize not obeying speed limits as a human right doesn't mean it's not a human right.

Well then, maybe Canada really should ban alcohol. Nobody needs to get drunk, and as I discussed earlier, drunk driving kills far more Canadians than gun violence.

Well being that fire arms are harder to obtain in Canada of course drunk driving kills more people. But there are also these things called laws and regulations put on alcohol consumption and operating a motor vehicles which punish offenders harshly and hold people accountable. Laws that if they were not in place would make driving completely dangerous, since anyone could just do what they want. Laws that are preventing even more deaths from happening.  Laws and regulations that a lot of fire arm advocates don't want or want removed to prevent fire arm safety.

Bold of you to assume these laws will accomplish anything. The perpetrator of this massacre committed it with guns he wasn't legally allowed to own. What laws would have stopped him?

I looked through what is probably the most definitive declaration of human rights yet composed.

Maybe I missed it, but could you please point me to where it says that people have a right to own guns?

Right here:

Everyone has the right to life, liberty and security of person.

(1) Everyone has the right to own property alone as well as in association with others.
(2) No one shall be arbitrarily deprived of his property.

Or do you interpret these differently?

So granting people the freedom to have or do what they want... is authoritarian? Huh?

The argument that you should be allowed to do WHATEVER you want without restriction or your "freedom" is being taken away is the first step in Authoritarian Libertarianism.  First, you claim "freedom" is the ability to do whatever you want, and then you claim the majority is taking away your rights.  This was in fact the argument the Libertarian movement made against DESEGREGATION; that it was wrong for the government or the majority to demand all-white schools accept black children.  They just took it to the logical conclusion; that if the most important thing in the world is that you can do whatever you want, then you should be allowed to deprive OTHER PEOPLE of what they have, because them having things you don't is infringing on your freedom.

You're entitled to your opinion, but that doesn't give you the right to arbitrarily decide what other people can and can't do. I consider the desire to smoke tobacco and marijuana irrational, but I don't want to force people to give up their smoking habits. What I do want is to keep said smoking habits from hurting other people.

It's bullshit to bring into an argument about a tool that exists SOLELY to murder other human beings things that are not.  Smoking does not exist specifically to kill something else.

1. Now I see what you're getting at. But you're indulging in a slippery slope fallacy. More important, that's conflating two entirely different things. My owning whatever guns I like is in no way an infringement on your rights and freedoms.

And since you brought up opposition to desegregation, I feel obligated to remind you that gun control has a well-documented history of racism. I gotta be honest: a big part of why I'm against gun control is because I'm afraid it would be applied in a discriminatory way.

2. Oh, stop being melodramatic. Guns aren't intended "solely to murder other human beings". There are completely legitimate reasons to use them, like hunting and self-defense.

Smoking also kills many more Americans every year than guns. And before you say smokers are only killing themselves, secondhand smoke kills more than 41,000 Americans every year. Even including suicides by firearm and gun-related accidents, only around 33,000 Americans are killed by gunshots annually.

Vanto, you keep using the word "arbitrarily" but only when it is something that you specifically disagree with. I don't think you understand what the word means.

That Canada does not consider a "right to bear arms" to be a human right is not an arbitrary choice. Universal Declaration of Human Rights is the opposite of "arbitrary" as it was something that drafted by 18 people specifically chosen to be from various diverse backgrounds, it was voted on by all then members of the UN and has been later approved by nearly every country in the world. This is not something that people chose as a joke or made up on the spot, it was something that was deliberate on and meticulously crafted to be as good as possible.

Same goes with the flag burning. Germany didn't just randomly decide "lol, let's make this illegal." To make a law in any country (aside from dictatorships) means that scholars, judges and politicians have carefully drafted the law and through elected politicians, the will of the voters has been the final say on whether or not the new law is to be adopted.

Well, the more I look at restrictions on guns and flag-burning, the more arbitrary they seem to me.

Welp, put a mark on the wall, Benny boy made a good comic once in a while. Heck, he's not even using that many labels this time.

Guess that explains the pigs I saw flying over the woods behind my house.
Stop the timeline, I wanna get off.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #6274 on: May 29, 2020, 01:41:44 pm »
Most places that have a "security of person" guarantee do not interpret that as a plenary right to own guns.

As for property rights, as with all rights, these have to be balanced against other considerations, such as others' individual rights (such as security of person) and societal rights. It is not in any way unreasonable to conclude that unrestricted possession of firearms infringes unduly on these latter limitations.

And, especially among developed liberal democracies, the US is an outlier in so many respects that I wouldn't reference then as a precedent for just about anything if I'm trying to argue that something is a good idea.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Id82

• The Beast
« Reply #6275 on: May 29, 2020, 01:59:46 pm »
Bold of you to assume these laws will accomplish anything. The perpetrator of this massacre committed it with guns he wasn't legally allowed to own. What laws would have stopped him?

Laws are not one hundred percent perfect. You can't stop every drunk driver, can't prevent everyone from going over the speed limit. But laws being in place has vastly improved automotive related deaths over the past century. The shootings in Nova Scotia came as a shock to the country because that kind of thing doesn't happen as often. There's a reason why Canada only had 292 related gun homicides last year where the US has close to 33,000 a year.
But your right lets not have any laws and regulations in place at all. I mean why even put locks or alarms on our doors thieves are just going to break in when they want anyway?
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t

Offline Vanto

• Bishop
« Reply #6276 on: May 29, 2020, 05:37:14 pm »
Most places that have a "security of person" guarantee do not interpret that as a plenary right to own guns.

As for property rights, as with all rights, these have to be balanced against other considerations, such as others' individual rights (such as security of person) and societal rights. It is not in any way unreasonable to conclude that unrestricted possession of firearms infringes unduly on these latter limitations.

And, especially among developed liberal democracies, the US is an outlier in so many respects that I wouldn't reference then as a precedent for just about anything if I'm trying to argue that something is a good idea.

You say "outlier" like it's a bad thing. Being an outlier is the reason we had so few thalidomide babies.

More important, how does my gun ownership hurt anybody else? It's not like I'm going around threatening people with them. Using your logic, I could just as easily say your ownership and consumption of liquor violates other peoples' rights to not get hit by drunk drivers.

Laws are not one hundred percent perfect. You can't stop every drunk driver, can't prevent everyone from going over the speed limit. But laws being in place has vastly improved automotive related deaths over the past century. The shootings in Nova Scotia came as a shock to the country because that kind of thing doesn't happen as often. There's a reason why Canada only had 292 related gun homicides last year where the US has close to 33,000 a year.
But your right lets not have any laws and regulations in place at all. I mean why even put locks or alarms on our doors thieves are just going to break in when they want anyway?

Like with torture, if gun control reliably worked, I could at least understand the rationale behind it. I can't say I'd agree with it, but I could at least see why people advocated in its favor. But there have been multiple statistical analyses that have shown no correlation between strict gun laws and lower gun deaths. Great Britain's gun control laws have proven inconsistent at best when it comes to reducing gun crime, and Australia's record with gun control is even worse. Why should I give up my rights because of laws that I know have only a hit-or-miss chance at best of working as intended and whose desired results can be accomplished through other means?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 07:45:09 pm by Vanto »

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #6277 on: May 30, 2020, 02:03:57 am »
Vanto keeps using the word "arbitrary" like some magical word of power.

Confisgating guns from people who would use them to commit crimes is not "arbitrary." Telling people to give up guns that are now illegal in exchange for financial compensation is also not the same as some government agent stopping a random car and taking your wallet because "you look funny" which is something that actually happens in USA and is perfectly legal (put "civil forfeiture" into Duck Duck Go) so it's not like there isn't a clear precedent for something like that.

Heck, if the POTUS declared that anyone who has a gun in their possession in USA now has to prove that they got it legally AND that they are not planning to use it for a crime in the future, that would probably be legal according to the current laws in USA.

As for the whole "gun control doesn't work" aspect of the argument... There is no one "gun control" as it is merely the existence of laws limiting the ownership of firearms. There are good ways to do it and bad ways to do it. I like the current EU system for the most parts and it works well enough to merit its existence.

Besides, that argument is a fallacy. Condoms aren't 100% fool proof but we still acknowledge their worth. Traffic laws don't prevent accidents and intentional crimes in the roads perfectly, you could even call it a hit-or-miss chance, but we still agree that some laws are good and necessary. If you demand a change to be PERFECT in order to accept it, you are just opposing any change at all to the current status quo.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #6278 on: May 30, 2020, 11:33:29 am »
But, Askold, don't you see?  The problem is government!  If we simply dissolved the government and rule of law and instead let free markets and the self-interest of a famously rational species run the world, then all would be well!  We'd be colonizing Mars and fucking hot alien babes and totally not dying of cholera because treating water costs money that could be better spent on Jeff Bezos' personal space program.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Vanto

• Bishop
« Reply #6279 on: May 30, 2020, 04:04:24 pm »
Vanto keeps using the word "arbitrary" like some magical word of power.

Confisgating guns from people who would use them to commit crimes is not "arbitrary." Telling people to give up guns that are now illegal in exchange for financial compensation is also not the same as some government agent stopping a random car and taking your wallet because "you look funny" which is something that actually happens in USA and is perfectly legal (put "civil forfeiture" into Duck Duck Go) so it's not like there isn't a clear precedent for something like that.

Heck, if the POTUS declared that anyone who has a gun in their possession in USA now has to prove that they got it legally AND that they are not planning to use it for a crime in the future, that would probably be legal according to the current laws in USA.

As for the whole "gun control doesn't work" aspect of the argument... There is no one "gun control" as it is merely the existence of laws limiting the ownership of firearms. There are good ways to do it and bad ways to do it. I like the current EU system for the most parts and it works well enough to merit its existence.

Besides, that argument is a fallacy. Condoms aren't 100% fool proof but we still acknowledge their worth. Traffic laws don't prevent accidents and intentional crimes in the roads perfectly, you could even call it a hit-or-miss chance, but we still agree that some laws are good and necessary. If you demand a change to be PERFECT in order to accept it, you are just opposing any change at all to the current status quo.

Aight, I guess that's a fair criticism. I'll stop.

Why do you think it's acceptable to punish legal gun owners for things they haven't done? Taking away people's property on the basis that it might be used to commit a crime at some point is not a good thing to do.

You think I'm not against civil forfeiture and its abuse? No, I strongly oppose it, and the reasons I'm against it overlap with the reasons I'm against gun control.

I am not saying a solution has to be perfect, just that it shouldn't make the problem worse, as gun control often has. And I notice that you haven't addressed the fact that it's been demonstrated time and again that there is zero correlation between gun control laws and homicide rates. Why advocate for a policy that's been repeatedly proven to not have the impact it's supposed to have?

But, Askold, don't you see?  The problem is government!  If we simply dissolved the government and rule of law and instead let free markets and the self-interest of a famously rational species run the world, then all would be well!  We'd be colonizing Mars and fucking hot alien babes and totally not dying of cholera because treating water costs money that could be better spent on Jeff Bezos' personal space program.

Do you really think I'm an ancap, or are you just being facetious?

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #6280 on: May 30, 2020, 07:08:11 pm »
We really think you're that stupid yes.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #6281 on: May 31, 2020, 10:39:18 am »

Do you really think I'm an ancap, or are you just being facetious?

Its a reference.  Admittedly, a bit of an oblique one.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline DarkPhoenix

• Bishop
« Reply #6282 on: May 31, 2020, 11:14:48 am »

1. Now I see what you're getting at. But you're indulging in a slippery slope fallacy. More important, that's conflating two entirely different things. My owning whatever guns I like is in no way an infringement on your rights and freedoms.

And since you brought up opposition to desegregation, I feel obligated to remind you that gun control has a well-documented history of racism. I gotta be honest: a big part of why I'm against gun control is because I'm afraid it would be applied in a discriminatory way.

2. Oh, stop being melodramatic. Guns aren't intended "solely to murder other human beings". There are completely legitimate reasons to use them, like hunting and self-defense.

Smoking also kills many more Americans every year than guns. And before you say smokers are only killing themselves, secondhand smoke kills more than 41,000 Americans every year. Even including suicides by firearm and gun-related accidents, only around 33,000 Americans are killed by gunshots annually.

Why have you switch to an argument about "guns" in general?  We're discussing assault rifles, which exist SOLELY to murder other human beings.  You ain't hunting with an assault rifle.

And you claim I'm making a slippery slope fallacy, but what I describe is EXACTLY how things proceeded in Chile in the late 70's under Pinochet, and the architects of that disaster are the same ones pushing for full libertarianism in the West...

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #6283 on: May 31, 2020, 11:46:35 am »
When you have a system as reckless as the one in USA, drastic measures have to be taken in order to have any effect on it.

There is no good national registry of who owns what guns because Yanks are so paranoid about it (read about the system in place and how they are not allowed to use computers or have any type of digitally searchable database just as a "fuck you" by NRA lobbyists.) There are several states where guns can be sold without paperwork or screening if done by private individuals. The sheer amount of guns in USA is so massive that any law that doesn't deal with existing guns as well is not going to have a noticeable effect for several decades.

If you had changed your laws sooner, you might have been able to do something less drastic, now things will continue to get worse until the only real solution is to do something that seems to be way out of proportion.

I support private ownership of guns. Even the scary ones. But only if it is controlled in order to prevent dangerous people from having access to those guns. And the last bit is something that the sheer amount of firearms in USA is making impossible.

Offline Vanto

• Bishop
« Reply #6284 on: May 31, 2020, 07:29:52 pm »

Why have you switch to an argument about "guns" in general?  We're discussing assault rifles, which exist SOLELY to murder other human beings.  You ain't hunting with an assault rifle.

And you claim I'm making a slippery slope fallacy, but what I describe is EXACTLY how things proceeded in Chile in the late 70's under Pinochet, and the architects of that disaster are the same ones pushing for full libertarianism in the West...

I beg to differ.

Not sure what you're talking about with Chile.

When you have a system as reckless as the one in USA, drastic measures have to be taken in order to have any effect on it.

There is no good national registry of who owns what guns because Yanks are so paranoid about it (read about the system in place and how they are not allowed to use computers or have any type of digitally searchable database just as a "fuck you" by NRA lobbyists.) There are several states where guns can be sold without paperwork or screening if done by private individuals. The sheer amount of guns in USA is so massive that any law that doesn't deal with existing guns as well is not going to have a noticeable effect for several decades.

If you had changed your laws sooner, you might have been able to do something less drastic, now things will continue to get worse until the only real solution is to do something that seems to be way out of proportion.

I support private ownership of guns. Even the scary ones. But only if it is controlled in order to prevent dangerous people from having access to those guns. And the last bit is something that the sheer amount of firearms in USA is making impossible.

You know, I can at least understand the ideas you're promoting. Not necessarily agree with them, but certainly see where you're coming from. But there are some important questions that have to be asked. How do we know this database won't be abused? How do we define "dangerous"?

And why do you say that "things will continue to get worse" when gun homicide rates have been dropping for over 20 years? Things aren't as bad here as you seem to think.