Author Topic: Video Game Thread 2.0  (Read 1512346 times)

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
Re: Video Game Thread 2.0
« Reply #4155 on: January 28, 2014, 04:09:05 am »
I really wish Skyrim had an option to murder Ulfric Stormcloak and take his place as the leader of the rebellion. What a power-hungry douche.

And yet he's practically worshiped by some real life Stormcloak loyalists.

Though everyone I've met who sides with the Stormcloaks dogmatically tend to be conservative christian republican fundies.  Doesn't mean all of them are, but the ones I've met have consistently taken hard right-wing attitudes.

Which just makes me loathe Ulfric more.

Well, there ARE the mods out there to make anybody slayable... the kids included.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #4156 on: January 28, 2014, 05:29:53 am »
I really wish Skyrim had an option to murder Ulfric Stormcloak and take his place as the leader of the rebellion. What a power-hungry douche.

And yet he's practically worshiped by some real life Stormcloak loyalists.

Though everyone I've met who sides with the Stormcloaks dogmatically tend to be conservative christian republican fundies.  Doesn't mean all of them are, but the ones I've met have consistently taken hard right-wing attitudes.

Which just makes me loathe Ulfric more.

I tend to lean more to the Stormcloak's side, insofar as I think the Nords have a right to maintain their cultural traditions and gain independence. Persecuting Talos worshipers is pretty evil, even if I can understand why the empire felt pressured into banning it (if anyone is the real bad guy there, it's the Thalmor). However, the Stormcloaks are massively xenophobic and rather hypocritical (oppressing Dark Elf refugees, denying the Bretons rights over their own ancestral lands in The Reach -- although that opens a whole other can of worms regarding the Forsworn murdering pretty much anyone who crosses their path), not to mention Ulfric is pretty clearly a power hungry bigot, whereas what's-her-name in Solitude is a lot more likable. Ulfric's glib speech and his private comments afterward (after taking Solitude) made me want to restart the game and fight for the empire out of spite.

Ultimately, I'd say both sides are screwed up -- the empire for being too focused on practicalities, bowing to Thalmor bullshit and losing sight of what's right, and the Stormcloaks too idealistic, headstrong and ethnocentric, without thought to how their fight affects the citizens of Skyrim.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 05:34:25 am by The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist »
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #4157 on: January 28, 2014, 08:43:55 am »
Which is why Skyrim needed a Third Option like you had with Yes Man in New Vegas.  Seriously, you fucking kill Satan.  Even before then, its all but spelled right the hell out that you'll kill the bastard dragon.  Everyone knows it, but they seriously expect us to think that only the Stormcloaks or the Thalmor could start an army?  The Dragonborn, by the time Alduin croaks, has enough money to fund a private guerrilla army.  Fuck, the Dragonborn is an army all unto himself.  Neither side would stand a chance against him, considering he likely has the ability to go invisible at a whim, and can incinerate an entire platoon by saying a couple of words.

Yet, the Dragonborn is doomed to be a mere follower, a pawn.  No, fuck that, I'm the leader, and people either get the fuck with the program, get the hell out of my way, or kiss their arses goodbye.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #4158 on: January 28, 2014, 09:32:54 am »
my problem was the empire tried to kill me ergo my dunnmer sided with teh guys who didnt try to kill me

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #4159 on: January 28, 2014, 09:57:47 am »
my problem was the empire tried to kill me ergo my dunnmer sided with teh guys who didnt try to kill me

I had the same issue.  I'm sorry, but I tend to NOT side with the people who try to kill me just because I was caught at the same time as a high-value political target...because that'd be pants-on-head retarded.  As far as I'm concerned, my characters were (or are, if I get a chance to get it for my 360 here) all innocent bystanders that got arrested and sent to the block by over-zealous, Altmer-whipped Imperials during a sting operation.  Even if my character was an Imperial...ESPECIALLY if my character was an Imperial.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline IanC

• Pope
« Reply #4160 on: January 28, 2014, 12:27:34 pm »
I really wish i didn't kill that guy while Clementine was watching.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #4161 on: January 28, 2014, 12:52:09 pm »
Honestly if they were gonna go with the civil war then I would have prefered a new vegas approach but its tough keeping the dragon conflict the focus since new vegas the war was the story

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #4162 on: January 28, 2014, 01:00:52 pm »
In New Vegas, the War is just the driving plot.  It really doesn't have to even be completed when you can just run around everywhere.  In Skyrim, beating Alduin isn't something that even drives the plot.  It's just there.  You can get to it at any time.  But the Civil War story...oh how annoying that is.  Having a Third Option where you can become the king of all or force everyone to sit down and talk to one another or burn everything to the ground would've been a lot more fun and organic.

Ironbite-instead of what we got.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #4163 on: January 28, 2014, 01:03:32 pm »
you could with paathurax but truthfully i would have prefered like in new vegas where you can influence your faction's relations with other factions.  Like try to get the stormcloaks to not be racist like how ncr could be nicer to the Kings and Khans

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #4164 on: January 28, 2014, 08:57:52 pm »
In New Vegas, the War is just the driving plot.  It really doesn't have to even be completed when you can just run around everywhere.  In Skyrim, beating Alduin isn't something that even drives the plot.  It's just there.  You can get to it at any time.  But the Civil War story...oh how annoying that is.  Having a Third Option where you can become the king of all or force everyone to sit down and talk to one another or burn everything to the ground would've been a lot more fun and organic.

It would have been nice to have some of the events changed based on which side you picked. Maintaining the major events, like the attack on Whiterun, makes sense for continuity's sake, but you'd expect each side to have different tactics and the outcome of the battles to influence events beyond who wins the war. Instead you get the exact same thing from the opposite perspective: Attack some forts, break out prisoners, intercept a courier, attack the major city. Even the dialogue follows more or less the same pattern.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #4165 on: January 28, 2014, 09:40:45 pm »
Pretty sure I'm gonna skip the Civil War quest line which is a shame really.  It's a good quest line.

Ironbite-just doesn't do anything for the story.

Offline syaoranvee

• The Beast
« Reply #4166 on: January 28, 2014, 09:54:59 pm »

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #4167 on: January 29, 2014, 02:07:24 am »
Or you could go the other way and make Samus a stone-faced sociopath, but realistically consider the faults of that kind of person as part of the storyline.

The best way to do it would have been to do exactly what they intended to do: humanize Samus and give her character flaws, but don't let them impact her existing characterization of a badass bounty hunter willing to do whatever it takes. It's perfectly okay for her to have maternal instinct regarding the Metroid, or a paternalistic relationship with Adam. And maybe she stumbles sometimes because of it. But the writers just made her an unstable bag of tears and unsolved issues.

Didn't they already make a game about that?  God of War?

Kratos's sociopathy is basically what gets him into mess after mess in the first place.  That and
(click to show/hide)

ADDENDUM:

Okay, so it appears that they're making a Sly Cooper movie based off of the plot of the first game... though obviously it's gonna have enough differences.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/01/28/sly-cooper-movie-announced?utm_campaign=fbposts&utm_source=facebook

Sucker Punch and Sony are intimately involved in what goes into this movie and what doesn't (kinda like J.K. Rowling for Harry Potter), and the makers seem to be actual fans of the game series so... we'll see how this works out.

Certainly better than most of what Uwe Boll has put out, that's for sure.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 02:18:55 am by Magus Silveresti »
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline The Illusive Man

• The Beast
  • Saw the ME3 endings, got turned into a husk. :(-
« Reply #4168 on: January 29, 2014, 03:02:47 am »
Didn't they already make a game about that?  God of War?

Kratos's sociopathy is basically what gets him into mess after mess in the first place.  That and
(click to show/hide)
Especially lulzy if you know a little bit of Greek myth.

Despite knowing about indoctrination I thought it was a good idea to put a human Reaper near my office. Now I am a sentient husk :(.

*RRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWRRRRRRRRR* *SCREECH* *smokes*

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #4169 on: January 29, 2014, 03:17:06 am »
a)

It would have been nice to have some of the events changed based on which side you picked. Maintaining the major events, like the attack on Whiterun, makes sense for continuity's sake, but you'd expect each side to have different tactics and the outcome of the battles to influence events beyond who wins the war. Instead you get the exact same thing from the opposite perspective: Attack some forts, break out prisoners, intercept a courier, attack the major city. Even the dialogue follows more or less the same pattern.

I love how the player's choices and actions affect the world in New Vegas. (Which is the point the creators wanted to make, one person can make a difference.) If you take the quest to help faction X take over outpost A then after the quest they will have troops on that outpost, the news radio will talk about the battle and other characters will know that the tides of war have changed a bit.

b) I liked the Sly Cooper games and their plot so the movie has potential. Not that I would be utterly shocked if a game-movie turns out to be rubbish even when based on good material.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!