Author Topic: Video Game Thread 2.0  (Read 1514557 times)

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
Re: Video Game Thread 2.0
« Reply #4320 on: April 01, 2014, 12:39:37 am »
And let's not forget the cherry on top: "You're in my way, sir."

Not to mention that along with whining when you get in their way, they struggle to move out of the way if you need them to. On the A-Bomb Nightclub level (which I'm stuck on because all it takes is one thug who doesn't give up his gun to kill literally the whole team in one go), I had to go up onto the DJ's platform to restrain a civilian. My team dutifully filed up after me, and I had to order them to go stack up on a door just to get them out of my way because they only moved a few inches at a time if I tried to push past them.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline TheUnknown

• The Beast
« Reply #4321 on: April 01, 2014, 12:57:58 am »

Not to mention that along with whining when you get in their way, they struggle to move out of the way if you need them to. On the A-Bomb Nightclub level (which I'm stuck on because all it takes is one thug who doesn't give up his gun to kill literally the whole team in one go), I had to go up onto the DJ's platform to restrain a civilian. My team dutifully filed up after me, and I had to order them to go stack up on a door just to get them out of my way because they only moved a few inches at a time if I tried to push past them.

I remember years ago watching Spoony's playthrough; on the final level, the characters actually spawned with you in a teammate's spot, with him saying you were in his way.  Like, he said "you're in my spot, sir" before the level even finished fading in.

Also, do they really have a problem of dropping flashbangs where they're not supposed to?

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #4322 on: April 01, 2014, 02:08:03 am »
That reminds me, one of the improvements in Fallout 2 was that player got an command that forced their comrades to move out of the way. Because they couldn't fix the AI to stop them from blocking doors.

And years later... Fallout New Vegas got few computers that can be accessed ingame that automatically teleport the companions to their recruiting locations. Because the companions were getting stuck and they couldn't find a way to fix the code or AI so they had to break the fourth wall in order to at least have a way out of such a bug.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #4323 on: April 01, 2014, 08:37:31 am »
Then someone developed the Groovatron and everything was ok.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #4324 on: April 01, 2014, 09:19:50 pm »

I remember years ago watching Spoony's playthrough; on the final level, the characters actually spawned with you in a teammate's spot, with him saying you were in his way.  Like, he said "you're in my spot, sir" before the level even finished fading in.

Also, do they really have a problem of dropping flashbangs where they're not supposed to?

I haven't seen that happen, but the problem is that in large rooms with dividing walls or corners or such, there's literally no way for a grenade to disable everyone in the room but the AI will continue to charge forward past the effective zone. And because the bad guys have faster reflexes when it comes to shooting (and the SWAT officers prioritize demanding compliance over use of weapons), they usually get themselves killed very fast if they don't surprise the guys first.

Game Anyone has one great playthrough where like, every SWAT officer is being played by a human through online multiplayer. They have such high efficiency that except for the final mission, they beat everything with exclusively non-lethal weapons.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline ironbite

• Kakarot
« Reply #4325 on: April 01, 2014, 09:26:31 pm »
Which is what the game is actually designed for.  Multiplayer.  Trying to solo it is suicide.

Ironbite-but makes great rage filled screams from Spoony.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #4326 on: April 01, 2014, 09:47:55 pm »
Which is what the game is actually designed for.  Multiplayer.  Trying to solo it is suicide.
If that's the case, the game shouldn't have had a single player mode in the first place.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #4327 on: April 02, 2014, 08:01:03 am »
Makes me think of Counter Strike.  Its an adequate single-player time-killer, but it was meant for multiplayer.  The single player was likely just meant to add a few more sales and to have something with which to kill time when you're not near a Wi-Fi port or generally lacking internet access.  Also, they probably want you to keep playing as long as you can; adding seemingly-pointless single player facilities into an obviously multiplayer game achieves just that, even if its by a margin of a few extra hours.

At least, that's one of the reasons I would do it.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline ironbite

• Kakarot
« Reply #4328 on: April 02, 2014, 12:21:18 pm »
I built a house in Minecraft then surrounded it with a lava moat.

Ironbite-guess what happened next?

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #4329 on: April 02, 2014, 02:16:03 pm »
I built a house in Minecraft then surrounded it with a lava moat.

Ironbite-guess what happened next?

The lava set the surroundings on fire that spread into your house?

The toxic fumes from the lava killed your character?

The lava cooled down and then the elephants just walked over the moat and trampled your dwarves to death?
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline ironbite

• Kakarot
« Reply #4330 on: April 02, 2014, 02:29:40 pm »
The first one.

Ironbite-second time I've had a house burn down too.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #4331 on: April 02, 2014, 02:32:26 pm »
*snip*

The lava cooled down and then the elephants just walked over the moat and trampled your dwarves to death?
You play Dwarf Fortress too?

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #4332 on: April 02, 2014, 02:41:17 pm »
*snip*

I tried it once (which is more than I've even done with Minecraft) but couldn't even find all the keyboard commands because the instructions I found were for american keyboards.

I have read the saga of Boatmurdered and some other player stories.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #4333 on: April 02, 2014, 02:44:54 pm »
*snip*

I tried it once (which is more than I've even done with Minecraft) but couldn't even find all the keyboard commands because the instructions I found were for american keyboards.

I have read the saga of Boatmurdered and some other player stories.
Okay.  But if you play it again, just remember the mantra: losing is fun.

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #4334 on: April 02, 2014, 09:44:50 pm »
I got a computer upgrade 8 gig ram, 3.2 quad. Gtx 750 ti.

arma 3 runs so well now
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.