Author Topic: Video Game Thread 2.0  (Read 1514151 times)

Art Vandelay

Re: Video Game Thread 2.0
« Reply #4410 on: May 13, 2014, 08:12:32 pm »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_NLK-jEDGc" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_NLK-jEDGc</a>
It would seem that Microsoft is finally selling the Xbone without the Kinect. At this rate, it'll be a decent alternative to the PS4 sometime next year.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #4411 on: May 14, 2014, 07:26:19 am »
Still waiting for the first price drop and hardware update.  You know its coming.

(I'd be saying the same about Sony, if I were at all interested in getting a PS4.)
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #4412 on: May 15, 2014, 08:05:52 am »
It would seem that a Professor Layton/Phoenix Wright crossover game was released and I was not informed. I would me most displeased about this, were I actually able to afford it.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #4413 on: May 17, 2014, 12:17:15 am »
Part of me wants to try getting into EVE Online once funds aren't a problem for me, but the other part of me is discouraged by the massive dickery that the game is infamous for having.  Also the fact that the developers made the game out of protest to Ultima Online separating their servers into PvE and PvP servers (where previously, all servers were PvP)

Any time anyone uses "carebear" as an insult in an MMO, they instantly lose all credibility to me.

Still, the fact that the game is mostly player run is intriguing to me.  The fact that it's a hotspot for Something Awful, which includes one sociopathic goon that tried to encourage EVE players to harass another player until he committed suicide (and only got banned for a month for it), is also discouraging.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 12:18:57 am by Magus Silveresti »
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #4414 on: May 17, 2014, 12:35:10 am »
A friend of mine likes EVE for the simple reason that losing a ship in that game is permanent. So victories and losses have more meaning when compared to the other MMOs where death is a slap on the wrist.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #4415 on: May 17, 2014, 12:41:31 am »
Eh, all in all, I probably wouldn't have the patience required to play the game.  I tend to lose interest in games if I play them for too long, and EVE looks like a game that demands all of your attention in order for you to succeed.

I wonder if there's an MMORPG out there that's like EVE, except it has standards for behavior.

EDIT:

You know what?  I just want to know of good space combat games, MMORPG or otherwise.

I think Battlefront 2 counts, but I have that on the PS2 - debating whether or not getting the PC version would be worthwhile.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 01:02:43 am by Magus Silveresti »
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #4416 on: May 17, 2014, 01:28:41 am »
You know what?  I just want to know of good space combat games, MMORPG or otherwise.
Have you tried any of the X games? I'd recommend X3: Reunion or the Terran Conflict expansion. It's basically the EVE Online thing of an open world space combat game with a lot of business management thrown in, only it's not an MMO.

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #4417 on: May 17, 2014, 04:42:02 am »
Saints Row The Third is available as a freedownload for XBox Live until the end of the month.  I downloaded it but haven't gotten a chance to play it.  I'm glad they finally released a game I don't already have.  I'm afraid to buy older games for the 360 in case they're relseased as downloads in the near future.
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Art Vandelay

« Reply #4418 on: May 17, 2014, 05:25:56 am »
Finished Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time. It was fairly enjoyable for what it was. Not nearly as good as Superstar Saga, but I still had fun with it. I did miss the beans actually being useful and being able to have Luigi in front. Ah well, maybe Bowser's Inside Story live up to the original a little better.

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #4419 on: May 17, 2014, 06:36:28 am »
I would do eve online if it wasnt a subscription. Ew. No. Fuck right with that tripe.

Also the forest comes out next week and it looks AWESOME
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #4420 on: May 17, 2014, 08:54:20 am »
Eh, all in all, I probably wouldn't have the patience required to play the game.  I tend to lose interest in games if I play them for too long, and EVE looks like a game that demands all of your attention in order for you to succeed.

I wonder if there's an MMORPG out there that's like EVE, except it has standards for behavior.

EDIT:

I think Battlefront 2 counts, but I have that on the PS2 - debating whether or not getting the PC version would be worthwhile.

Star Trek Online.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #4421 on: May 17, 2014, 12:18:49 pm »
Have you tried any of the X games? I'd recommend X3: Reunion or the Terran Conflict expansion. It's basically the EVE Online thing of an open world space combat game with a lot of business management thrown in, only it's not an MMO.

I gave X3 a look and it definitely looks pretty neat.  I'll buy it next time it's on sale, just to save a few bucks.

As for Bowser's Inside Story, it blows Partners in Time out of the water.  I'm not just saying this because I'm a Bowser fanboy.  The humor is better, the gameplay is better (no babies!) and really, the only thing you'll miss, I think, is not being able to put Luigi in front.

Oh yeah, and Fawful returns to the main stage as the main villain.

Offline Stormwarden

• The Beast
« Reply #4422 on: May 18, 2014, 05:56:15 am »
For the PSP: I found a bug in Disgaea 2 Dark Hero Days that lets me set Magichange skills permanently to some of my characters. Not sure if anyone plays it, but you basically take certain unique characters, magichange them to low-level characters, and have them die in the final battle. Wait until after the first battle of the next playthrough to use them and there you go.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #4423 on: May 19, 2014, 12:00:07 am »
Operation Flashpoint/Arma Cold War assault is free for a little while longer and you all should get it. Bit old BUT IT WAS SO GOOD
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #4424 on: May 19, 2014, 05:20:05 pm »
I ended up getting into Star Wars The Old Republic.  It's actually pretty fun, though some of the chat restrictions are complete bullshit.

I can't even use PARTY CHAT until I'm level 10?  Really EA?  REALLY?  I can somewhat understand no whispering (though even that's draconian) but when you limit F2P players on their chatting to the point where even SUBSCRIBERS are complaining about it, you've fucked up.

Incidentally, despite playing the game for the Sith and Jedi, I'm finding the Bounty Hunter to be one of my favorite characters.  The fact that my Bounty Hunter ended up being a ridiculously hot, tall, buff guy (same race as Darth Maul) with one of the sexier voices out there is something of a contribution.  Also some of the better light side dialogue, in my opinion.  Though I'm not going PURE light side... there are some people who just deserve to die.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 05:24:06 pm by Magus Silveresti »