Author Topic: Update:Angry Mass Effect 3 consumers file FTC complaints en masse  (Read 7889 times)

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
Re: Update:Angry Mass Effect 3 consumers file FTC complaints en masse
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2012, 04:46:48 pm »
It's 99% an amazing game. I think people have the right to ask for DLC to increase different types of endings, so you still feel as if you can control an outcome, and to threaten not buying another game, the usual first world problems and all... But people are acting like this is some sort of swindle or scam. It's pure, unadulturated bullshit, and these so-called "gamers" are ruining a relationship with a divison of EA that hasn't completely screwed gamers over in the past.

FANBOY! /troglodyte 'gamer'

Anyways, yes... I have been uh... very vocal on twitter over it. My friends are awesome tho and agree with the precedent this sets. It's a very dangerous one and a massive slippery slope that will cause more death of ideas than anything else.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Yaezakura

• The Pokemon Mistress
  • God
  • Little Lesbian Gaming Goddess
    • A Mayor's Tale - The daily trials of an Animal Crossing Mayor
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2012, 04:52:27 pm »
You know, I've never played any Mass Effect game, but I have a lot of friends who do, and have talked about this at length.

I don't think anyone's upset that unhappy endings are possible. They're upset that only unhappy endings are possible. For that matter, they're upset that only one ending is really possible--every possible ending is a different flavor of the same scenario. No amount of effort you put in over the course of three games matters, only one decision you make really affects the outcome, and even then no matter what you pick, it's basically the same thing as if you had picked something else.

It's not what people were promised, and I think people have a right to be upset over that. If they had said "yeah, every ending is basically the same, and all are pretty much a 'fuck you' to the player", no one would have room to say anything. Instead, they were promised meaningfully different endings and a bunch of other stuff that simply wasn't delivered.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2012, 05:37:03 pm »
Wooooooooow...really?  That's some Peter Molyneux-level failure, right there.  You make a promise, players are going to expect you to keep to them...and they're going to be rightfully pissed if you don't keep to em.

FTC complaints are overboard, yes...but, this does sound like a case where outrage is called-for.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline CaseAgainstFaith

• Pope
  • Smartass with a Dunce Hat
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2012, 06:09:15 pm »
Wooooooooow...really?  That's some Peter Molyneux-level failure, right there.  You make a promise, players are going to expect you to keep to them...and they're going to be rightfully pissed if you don't keep to em.

FTC complaints are overboard, yes...but, this does sound like a case where outrage is called-for.

I agree FTC complaints are overboard as well however, it did seem like EA went into a bit of a panic and gave a quick response once it found out that this happened and now you can get a refund for the game should you want one. 
Reasoning with a fundie is like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it is victorious - Anonymous
Let us drink like dwarves; Smoke like wizards and party like hobbits!

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2012, 06:20:06 pm »
I'm proceeding under the assumption that the 'endings' are really illusions that Harbringer is using to try and control you.  Otherwise, the Catylist is just a pint-sized Jigsaw who wants you to either saw off your arm, your leg, or or your head.
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline VirtualStranger

• Blinded with Science
  • The Beast
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2012, 06:47:39 pm »
From what I understand, the problem with the ending isn't that the endings are depressing, or even that all of the endings are depressing. The problem is that the ending renders every choice you have ever made throughout all of the last 3 games completely pointless. In the end, none of your past choices matter in the slightest. Every outcome is the same.

From the very beginning, ever since Mass Effect 1, players were promised that their choices throughout the series would affect the final outcome. They were told that every choice they made would have a substantial impact. The final game completely failed to deliver on that promise.

Offline e13

• The Beast
  • Fabulousity is at 100%!
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2012, 02:07:23 am »
The example I've given is this.

You're a kid. You buy a "you choose the adventure book." Every path you take ends with "go to page 50." Except a few that send you to 51 and 52. In those, you end the story wearing a different colored shirt. Why did you spend all that time making different choices?

Just Having Some Tea, Hanging With My Friends...

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2012, 02:12:01 am »
For the journey?
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2012, 02:14:53 am »
The journey can be good, damn good...but, the ending is like the icing on the cake.  While shitty icing may not ruin the whole cake, it does leave a bad taste in your mouth.  It only serves to make that bad taste worse if you were promised that the icing would be excellent from the time the cake was naught more than batter.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 02:16:25 am by RavynousHunter »
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2012, 02:20:30 am »
On the other hand, I've sometimes found that too good icing can detract from a cake, and indeed, make it too rich to actually consume.

...No, that has nothing to do with Mass Effect 3 or choose-your-own-adventure books :V
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Yaezakura

• The Pokemon Mistress
  • God
  • Little Lesbian Gaming Goddess
    • A Mayor's Tale - The daily trials of an Animal Crossing Mayor
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2012, 02:22:07 am »
For the journey?

The problem is, you don't read a choose-your-own-adventure book when you want a linear progression. You want your choices to matter. Sure, maybe you make the "wrong" choice and get eaten by a rabid wolverine. But at least your choices actually lead you to that outcome.

When every choice leads you to the same place, what's the point of having choices at all?

Heck, I tend to prefer linear progressions to open ones. I think the tighter focus leads naturally to better storytelling, as you don't have to water anything down to compensate for choices some players did/didn't make. But you don't promise to sell me a a photo-realistic landscape painting, then show up with a piece of canvas someone squirt paint out of their ass in the general direction of. Sure, both are art, and if you're into the latter there's nothing wrong with it--but it's not what I was promised, and it wasn't what I paid for.

Offline e13

• The Beast
  • Fabulousity is at 100%!
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2012, 02:25:28 am »
For the journey?
I bought a "you choose the adventure" book. If I wanted a set ending I would not have picked that up. I wouldn't read twenty different stories that all ended the exact same way. I'd want to read one if it had a set ending. Otherwise there is no point.

I play a lot of visual novels. The point of a visual novel is affecting the outcome, like in Mass Effect. If you have no impact on the ending, you're no longer "playing" a visual novel. You're "reading" a storybook.

Just Having Some Tea, Hanging With My Friends...

Offline Shano

• Bishop
  • Trust me, I am a doctor.
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2012, 01:48:55 pm »
Here is my take on things. Aside from what everyone else already explained I have an issue with the vast discrepancy in quality that the endings present:
(click to show/hide)
The unbreakable wall