Author Topic: Dad beating his kids with electrical cable - commenters are insane.  (Read 7418 times)

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
I was reading the comments of various sites concerning the guy who beat his daughters over, depending on the telling, booty-dancing or sneaking out of the house. I'm reading the comments and the majority of commenters are supporting the dad. What scares me is that most don't appear to be goofy trolls. Most are regular people. What's wrong with these people? I don't know what to say. They're either quoting scripture or telling anecdotes about how they were pummeled with god knows what when they were little like it's nothing.

How can so many people be so old-fashioned & backwards?

What frustrates me is that they'll decry the lack of respect & discipline instilled in in today's young & see this guy as a breath of fresh air....as if there were no other way to teach or discipline a kid. They honestly cannot fathom that there are other methods. It's either "beat them" or "spoil them". There is no middle ground. How can people be so backwards & insane?

Can anyone share insight on this? Can all these people be trolls? Are people really this evil? In a normal world with normal people, the majority or at least half would be saying "This guy went too far". But the MAJORITY are COMMENDING this guy!

Offline Captain Jack Harkness

• Petter, Brony, and All-Around Cartoon Addict
  • The Beast
  • Or as a friend calls him, Captain Jack Hotness!
Re: Dad beating his kids with electrical cable - commenters are insane.
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 12:41:43 am »
I was reading the comments of various sites concerning the guy who beat his daughters over, depending on the telling, booty-dancing or sneaking out of the house. I'm reading the comments and the majority of commenters are supporting the dad. What scares me is that most don't appear to be goofy trolls. Most are regular people. What's wrong with these people? I don't know what to say. They're either quoting scripture or telling anecdotes about how they were pummeled with god knows what when they were little like it's nothing.

How can so many people be so old-fashioned & backwards?

What frustrates me is that they'll decry the lack of respect & discipline instilled in in today's young & see this guy as a breath of fresh air....as if there were no other way to teach or discipline a kid. They honestly cannot fathom that there are other methods. It's either "beat them" or "spoil them". There is no middle ground. How can people be so backwards & insane?

Can anyone share insight on this? Can all these people be trolls? Are people really this evil? In a normal world with normal people, the majority or at least half would be saying "This guy went too far". But the MAJORITY are COMMENDING this guy!

Oh, they're not trolls.  This sentiment is seen on my FB often.

And people say pedophiles are the greatest threat to our children.  By that I mean I'm pretty sure that most pedophiles at least realize their thoughts aren't okay to suggest practicing.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 12:59:42 am by B-Man »
My friend's blog.  Check it out!

I blame/credit The Doctor with inspiring my name change.

Offline SkyTrekTower

• Bishop
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 12:43:07 am »
Some might be trolls, but I doubt all are.  I think that, like they said, that since it happened to them, that it is ok.  They don't want to accept the fact that it is not ok when it happened to them or when they do it to their kids.  Accepting that it is not ok can bring doubt in to play, and if they hold their parents as being unable to do wrong, it can cause problems.

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 12:43:27 am »
I think the people supporting it are too narrow-minded to accept anything besides physical abuse as punishment. That is, they're unable to (or simply don't want to) step outside their own world and see that their parents could've been wrong, that what they faced could be considered abuse. They think they turned out alright, and while they may not be criminals, they're supporting child abuse. Spanking (not necessarily on par with actual beating, but still) has also been linked to aggression, so that could be a contributing factor.

They're probably also thinking back to the 1950s, when spanking was more standard and everyone had a white picket fence with three perfect kids. They associate spanking with what they think was a more prosperous time, where children wore their suits/dresses all the time and picked their mother flowers on the way home from attending Sunday school.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 12:50:22 am by Sleepy »
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2013, 12:46:47 am »
I received corporal punishment when I was being an obnoxious brat, but I find there's a difference between getting a spanking and...this insanity. I mean, holy shit.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2013, 12:56:13 am »
I received corporal punishment when I was being an obnoxious brat, but I find there's a difference between getting a spanking and...this insanity. I mean, holy shit.
Corporal punishment can mean so many things. And for some parents spanking is the last measure, the people who get loud about defending spanking are the ones who seem to think that it is the only tool for raising kids and must be done all the time.

Seriously, there are a vocal minority of parents who seem to think that "Do not beat your kids within an inch of their lives" is the same as "Do not raise your kids, do not say NO to them, do not set any limits" or something like that.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Her3tiK

• Suffers in Sanity
  • The Beast
  • Learn to Swim
    • HeretiK Productions
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2013, 01:01:24 am »
I think this stems from the fact that hitting children wasn't outlawed until fairly recently, until which point it was considered a valid, if not normal, form of discipline. Of course, our species seems rather predisposed to using violence first and foremost, anyways. It's simple, anyone can use it, and tends to be effective for a while, especially if the subject is conditioned to accept violence as a legitimate form of punishment.
Her3tik, you have groupies.
Ego: +5

There are a number of ways, though my favourite is simply to take them by surprise. They're just walking down the street, minding their own business when suddenly, WHACK! Penis to the face.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2013, 01:02:23 am »
The thing is. The MAJORITY of the commenters were like this! Why a majority? Shouldn't it be less?

Also, most of them appeared to be folks of color. I felt like I was in some weird "Black Stereotype" dimension. Are the majority of black parents like this?

What get's me is that the commenters are treating this like some run-of-the-mill spanking. The MAJORITY of commenters! Do only crazy people comment on articles. Where are all the normal commenters? I know there's trolls and stuff but DAMN!

Offline Captain Jack Harkness

• Petter, Brony, and All-Around Cartoon Addict
  • The Beast
  • Or as a friend calls him, Captain Jack Hotness!
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2013, 01:04:10 am »
The thing is. The MAJORITY of the commenters were like this! Why a majority? Shouldn't it be less?

Also, most of them appeared to be folks of color. I felt like I was in some weird "Black Stereotype" dimension. Are the majority of black parents like this?

What get's me is that the commenters are treating this like some run-of-the-mill spanking. The MAJORITY of commenters! Do only crazy people comment on articles. Where are all the normal commenters? I know there's trolls and stuff but DAMN!

Being the target of racism growing up makes you hypersensitive to your kids "stepping out of line," perhaps?
My friend's blog.  Check it out!

I blame/credit The Doctor with inspiring my name change.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2013, 01:09:03 am »
I'm just dumbfounded that it's a majority of commenters, not the more believable minority or 50-50. Are freaks just more vocal? I refuse to believe that humanity is that messed up. I know there's a lot of bad people & we as a species have a history of nuttiness but I always assumed that most people were good folks.

Am I crazy or does there seem to be more sociopaths popping into the world? Maybe it's the same as always & they're just being noticed more!

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2013, 01:13:48 am »
I got corporal punishment as a kid, and, uhhhh...it didn't do a damn bit of good for me.  In fact, its probably one of the reasons its so difficult to talk to my parents and so obscenely hard to trust fucking anyone.  If your parents hit you under the guise of "teaching you a lesson," then why the hell would anyone else NOT do that?  From a child's mind, at least, it makes sense, considering your parents are usually supposed to be the ones you trust the most.

That said, giving a slap on the wrist, be it literal or metaphorical, is usually enough to get most kids in line when they're being asses.  Unlike what a lot of our society likes to tell us, kids by and large, aren't completely blank slates with no capability for logical, coherent thought and reason.  The times my parents explained shit to me were hundreds of times more effective than when they tried to speak to me with a fucking belt...or cutting board, which incidentally, broke in half the first and only time it was used to spank me.

Some kids, I'm sure, are naturally predisposed to being shitstains, but if you'd bother to actually try and TALK to your kids...ya know, like its the 21st god damned century, many times, they'll understand.  This Stone Age "spare the rod, spoil the child" bullshit is as offensive as it is, many times, needless and barbaric.  Go ahead, don't spare the rod.  Be like this asshole and beat your kids with cables.  But don't you dare fucking come crying to me when your kids try to smother you to death in your sleep or poison your coffee.  Violence begets violence, motherfuckers.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline SkyTrekTower

• Bishop
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2013, 01:18:29 am »
I'm just dumbfounded that it's a majority of commenters, not the more believable minority or 50-50. Are freaks just more vocal? I refuse to believe that humanity is that messed up. I know there's a lot of bad people & we as a species have a history of nuttiness but I always assumed that most people were good folks.

Am I crazy or does there seem to be more sociopaths popping into the world? Maybe it's the same as always & they're just being noticed more!

As sleepy said, I think it is a generational issue.  I don't know how old the commentators are, but its possible that they grew up where this was perfectly acceptable.  They might not know any other form of discipline, or they might think that this is effective.  I'm not saying all people who grew up from the 60s/70s back think this way, but until recently, it seems like corporal punishment was preferred.  Even today when it's shown that corporal punishment can cause some serious issues regarding violence, trust, etc, there are those that refuse to accept it.  Again, it seems like they don't want to attribute anything they or their parents do with being wrong.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2013, 01:23:34 am »
I know. But why a majority? Are all the commenters Baby Boomers & older? Some of them appeared to be younger people.

Offline SkyTrekTower

• Bishop
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2013, 01:27:46 am »
Some are probably baby boomers.  As for the younger ones, I think it goes back to what I said about them possibly having the notion that their parents can do no wrong.  We trust our parents are supposed to look out for our best interest, and if they received corporal punishment, especially similar to what was done in the article, they might think it was ok.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2013, 01:51:31 am »
I guess. I'm just surprised there wasn't an equally large flood of folks telling them otherwise. I guess decent, intelligent, well adjusted people don't do that article-commenting thing.

Can't the good side of humanity be noisier? Say something!

There's a lot of decent folks here. I admit that I for one tend to get upset & write silly stuff. I regret it. However, it's usually in response to the idiot side of humanity.

I see humanity as being dual-natured. Both Rousseau & Hobbes were right in a way. Humanity is capable of the highest good & the highest evil. As far as animals are concerned, we're both the most noble & the most savage, the most intelligent & the most ignorant, the most reasonable & most unreasonable, the most refined & the most crude...and so on...

We can change for the better, we just have to stick to that path.

Sometimes I'm frustrated & impatient. We have come far since the days of medieval times, the old west or whatever & need to smell the roses. Maybe I'll check out "Good News" news websites & get perspective.