Author Topic: 3-D printed airway tube saves boy's life  (Read 1877 times)

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
3-D printed airway tube saves boy's life
« on: May 23, 2013, 11:00:35 pm »
http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/story/2013/05/23/airway-splint-baby-grow.html

In a medical first, doctors used plastic particles and a 3-D laser printer to create an airway splint to save the life of a baby boy who used to stop breathing nearly every day.

In a single day, they "printed out" 100 tiny tubes, using computer-guided lasers to stack and fuse thin layers of plastic instead of paper and ink to form various shapes and sizes. The next day, with special permission from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, they implanted one of these tubes in Kaiba, the first time this has been done.

Suddenly, a baby that doctors had said would probably not leave the hospital alive could breathe normally for the first time. He was 3 months old when the operation was done last year and is nearly 19 months old now. He is about to have his tracheotomy tube removed; it was placed when he was a couple months old and needed a breathing machine. And he has not had a single breathing crisis since coming home a year ago.

This is why 3-D printing is awesome.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Stormwarden

• The Beast
Re: 3-D printed airway tube saves boy's life
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 01:21:13 am »
I agree with this. Things like this are where 3D printers can, and should, come into their own. I hope to heat more stories like this real soon.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 06:18:23 pm »
I do hope they don't crack down on this potentially life saving tech because of a few knuckleheads that want to make zip guns.

Offline anti-nonsense

• Nerdalicious Canadian
  • Pope
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2013, 06:19:42 am »
that is fucking awesome. Go science!
From international relations to religious rivalries, from marriage to athlete's foot, whatever the problem a fundy's first solution is usually violence.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2013, 08:38:39 am »
This is particularly good use of a 3-D printer because they can make unique items with it without a need for molds or stuff like which are costly to make.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Dynamic Dragon

• The Beast
  • Punisher of the Guilty
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2013, 03:05:25 pm »
3D Printers are incredible!  In the future, they'll probably be ubiquitous.
Learn from the past, live in the present, prepare for the future.

Offline Southern Comforter

• Bishop
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2013, 10:16:30 pm »
The same machine that prints out guns prints out life saving airway tubes, much like the way water gives life to man yet has the capacity to take it a way. The duality of nature sure is a funny thing.

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2013, 01:49:37 am »
Thinking of all the potential medical applications of this technology has my head spinning. This is seriously awesome.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)