Author Topic: Indonesia arrests an atheist for Facebook posting  (Read 14013 times)

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
Re: Indonesia arrests an atheist for Facebook posting
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2012, 06:14:13 pm »
If the Fundamentalists had their way, you would not have 6 options.

Sure you would. But since religious freedom means getting to pick out which branch of christianity (screw you, spell check, I am not capitalizing the "c") you want as long as it isn't Catholic or LDS. So you can be a Baptist, Methodist, Lutheran, whathaveyou.

Ahem, ya missed one, bro...can't be a Witness, either.  Because no other religions proselytize or have anything fucked up about them.  Nope.  They're the only ones.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2012, 06:45:19 pm »
If the Fundamentalists had their way, you would not have 6 options.

Sure you would. But since religious freedom means getting to pick out which branch of christianity (screw you, spell check, I am not capitalizing the "c") you want as long as it isn't Catholic or LDS. So you can be a Baptist, Methodist, Lutheran, whathaveyou.
No. There are plenty of Christian denominations that think they are the one true way. My father was once acquainted with a Lutheran church that believed their sect of Lutheranism was the only way to get to heaven, for example. If they can’t even accept other Lutherans, they sure as hell aren’t going to accept Baptists or Methodists.
remember bro randy
yeah not even other fundies

Offline N. De Plume

• Mysterious Writing Implement
  • The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2012, 07:51:12 pm »
remember bro randy
Okay, I guess there is a story I missed. Is there a specific Brother Randy incident you are referring to? Or just Randy in general?
-A Pen Name

Offline jumpingjackflash

• Agent Swears-A-Lot Peashooter
  • Pope
  • Burn, baby, burn!
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2012, 07:53:54 pm »
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2012/01/31/alexander-aan-under-attack-for-blasphemy-suddenly-converts-to-islam/

Couple of days ago someone called Alexander Aan from Indonesia was arrested for a posting on his facebook proclaiming God doesn't exist. Indonesia essentially bans atheism; you must subscribe to one of six "official" religions; and the main religion is Islam. Couple that with the increased streak of radicalism in Indonesia, we get a situation like this.

Indonesian media is now reporting he is "repenting". He might continue to be charged with blasphemy though.

http://news.monstersandcritics.com/asiapacific/news/article_1688076.php/Indonesian-atheist-might-embrace-Islam-after-arrest-police-say

Why am I surrounded by such intolerance... (and yes, I'm an Indonesian.)
Ok seriously, is nobody even going to try and avenge my man-burrito?

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2012, 07:56:50 pm »
remember bro randy
Okay, I guess there is a story I missed. Is there a specific Brother Randy incident you are referring to? Or just Randy in general?

Who's Brother Randy? ???
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline Jack Mann

• Gold Bugger Jihad Pony
  • God
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2012, 08:02:35 pm »
Isn't he from the Teens-4-Christ board?
اللغة العربية صعبة ، ولكنها جميلة جدا

Offline N. De Plume

• The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2012, 08:16:51 pm »
Isn't he from the Teens-4-Christ board?
Yeah, he is the creepy old guy that ran it. Just hearing his name is enough to give me the jibblies.
-A Pen Name

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2012, 08:32:50 pm »
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2012/01/31/alexander-aan-under-attack-for-blasphemy-suddenly-converts-to-islam/

Couple of days ago someone called Alexander Aan from Indonesia was arrested for a posting on his facebook proclaiming God doesn't exist. Indonesia essentially bans atheism; you must subscribe to one of six "official" religions; and the main religion is Islam. Couple that with the increased streak of radicalism in Indonesia, we get a situation like this.

Indonesian media is now reporting he is "repenting". He might continue to be charged with blasphemy though.

http://news.monstersandcritics.com/asiapacific/news/article_1688076.php/Indonesian-atheist-might-embrace-Islam-after-arrest-police-say

If you live in Indonesia wouldn't being a member of this board put you in danger of being arrested? If that is the case I would suggest using software that makes your IP address harder to track. (I know this stuff from the time Anonymous tried to start a revolution in Iran, though I wasn't involved directly)
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2012, 10:18:16 pm »

If you live in Indonesia wouldn't being a member of this board put you in danger of being arrested? If that is the case I would suggest using software that makes your IP address harder to track. (I know this stuff from the time Anonymous tried to start a revolution in Iran, though I wasn't involved directly)
He posted he's muslim so I think he's safe
Basically Bro Randy repeatedly said independent fundamentalist baptist churches were the only way to heaven

Offline N. De Plume

• The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2012, 10:36:37 pm »
Okay, so no story. Just Brother Randy being Brother Randy. Got it.
-A Pen Name

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2012, 11:04:04 pm »
Okay, so no story. Just Brother Randy being Brother Randy. Got it.
Just look up quotes for reference

Offline jumpingjackflash

• Pope
  • Burn, baby, burn!
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2012, 03:55:41 am »

Hey, I'm not an atheist.

Offline armandtanzarian

• God
  • Sad tropical monkey
    • My band's music
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2012, 08:41:27 am »
Hey, I'm not an atheist.
Doesn't matter. Its absolutely imperative you never reveal your true self on the public areas of this board. Because its still possible that by association with this board you could stilll be entrapped. Alexander Aan was arrested for blasphemy, not necessarily for being an atheist.

That said, where in Indonesia do you live? I'm in the dirty Malaysian capital of KL.

Edit: And the obligatory calls for his death, which underlines my point about discretion.
http://www.thejakartaglobe.com/home/calls-to-behead-indonesian-atheist-alexander-aan/495308
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 09:03:44 am by armandtanzarian »

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2012, 08:46:51 am »
Hey, I'm not an atheist.
Doesn't matter. Its absolutely imperative you never reveal your true self on the public areas of this board. Because its still possible that by association with this board you could stilll be entrapped. Alexander Aan was arrested for blasphemy, not necessarily for being an atheist.

That said, where in Indonesia do you live? I'm in the dirty Malaysian capital of KL.

Edit: And the obligatory calls for his death, which underlines my point about discretion.
http://www.thejakartaglobe.com/home/calls-to-behead-indonesian-atheist-alexander-aan/495308

Beat me to it. Yeah, I meant that association alone would be enough for those morons to try something.
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline jumpingjackflash

• Pope
  • Burn, baby, burn!
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2012, 05:11:31 am »
Hey, I'm not an atheist.

To answer the question, Indonesia's capital.