Author Topic: Thread Killer  (Read 667553 times)

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
Re: Thread Killer
« Reply #1245 on: January 02, 2013, 09:57:40 pm »
spanish and italian: So THESE words are feminine and THESE words are masculine, and you ALWAYS put an adjective AFTER the noun.
french: haha i dont fuckin know man just do whatever
german: LET'S ADD A NEUTRAL NOUN HAHA
english: *shooting up in the bathroom*
gaelic: the pronounciation changes depending on the gender and what letter the word starts and ends with and hahah i dont even know good fucking luck
Polish: here have all of these consonants have fun
japanese: subject article noun article verb. too bad there's three fucking alphabets lmao hope your first language isn't western

Nuxálk: Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline Kristine

• The Beast
« Reply #1246 on: January 02, 2013, 11:06:35 pm »

busy Exit - everyone gets off there...

Offline DrFishcake

• The Beast
  • A vegetarian called Fishcake. Long story.
« Reply #1247 on: January 03, 2013, 06:49:00 am »
Not exit 69?

Offline DrFishcake

• The Beast
« Reply #1248 on: January 03, 2013, 02:07:27 pm »
As far as I can tell, tomorrow is the 1st birthday of this current incarnation of the forums! :)

Offline Hades

• Balsiest Motherfucker Present
  • The Beast
  • This is a ride, not a fight
    • Fruits of Apathy
« Reply #1249 on: January 03, 2013, 02:22:41 pm »
As far as I can tell, tomorrow is the 1st birthday of this current incarnation of the forums! :)

The Beginning of The End, as some would call it.
22:22 <SugarFreeJazz> the time for hats is now

"I don't know what it is, but nothing makes me hard like the thought of Megan Fox without any skin." - Existentialist Goofy

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #1250 on: January 03, 2013, 02:52:23 pm »

The Beginning of The End, as some would call it.

For realz.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #1251 on: January 03, 2013, 04:35:29 pm »
spanish and italian: So THESE words are feminine and THESE words are masculine, and you ALWAYS put an adjective AFTER the noun.
Not quite true, actually. At least in Spanish, it's often correct to use either adjective-noun or noun-adjective. In most cases, noun-adjective sounds more natural, and is what you'd typically use in spoken language, unless you're going for a particular effect. It also depends on the specific function the adjective in the sentence and probably some other stuff as well.

I don't remember enough Italian to say, but I seem to recall something similar.
Σא

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #1252 on: January 03, 2013, 07:06:03 pm »

88 is also neo-Nazi shorthand for "Heil Hitler."

Not quite true, actually. At least in Spanish, it's often correct to use either adjective-noun or noun-adjective. In most cases, noun-adjective sounds more natural, and is what you'd typically use in spoken language, unless you're going for a particular effect. It also depends on the specific function the adjective in the sentence and probably some other stuff as well.

From what I understand from my Spanish studies so far, an adjective that modifies the noun goes after it, while an adjective that is an inherent part of the noun, so to speak, goes before it. Is that accurate? :-/
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #1253 on: January 03, 2013, 08:22:21 pm »
gaelic: the pronounciation changes depending on the gender and what letter the word starts and ends with and hahah i dont even know good fucking luck
japanese: subject article noun article verb. too bad there's three fucking alphabets lmao hope your first language isn't western

In russian, the noun the modified depending on what case is then, then the adjective is placed before it and is modified in the same way

It's a very logical language....but fuck the verbs...fuck em so hard
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #1254 on: January 03, 2013, 08:42:34 pm »

From what I understand from my Spanish studies so far, an adjective that modifies the noun goes after it, while an adjective that is an inherent part of the noun, so to speak, goes before it. Is that accurate? :-/
Something like that.  Adjective position can shift emphasis from marking a distinction between one thing that has one quality and one that doesn't, versus saying that a quality that a thing has is an important part of it (adjective last vs adjective first, respectively). Sometimes, anyway, depending.

Figuring out any comprehensive rules for this is hard. And it varies by dialect, too, for example rioplatense (what I speak) uses less adjective first than neutral. So yeah.
Σא

Offline Patches

• Bishop
« Reply #1255 on: January 03, 2013, 09:55:45 pm »

Not exit 69?
No, but it is near the junction with I-69.  And if you go due south from Climax, you reach Colon.

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #1256 on: January 03, 2013, 11:02:21 pm »

Quote from: Deimos
In russian, the noun the modified depending on what case is then, then the adjective is placed before it and is modified in the same way.
It's a very logical language....but fuck the verbs...fuck em so hard

Quote from: Spaceprog
So while English is shooting up in the loo, Russia is logically getting hammered on vodka.

I have no idea where these dang tags are farklempt... 
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 11:10:46 pm by SpaceProg »

Offline DrFishcake

• The Beast
« Reply #1257 on: January 06, 2013, 12:29:33 pm »
I really need to quit the Yahoo! News comments sections for the good of my health.  ???

Offline SimSim

• Lover of Good Beer and Bad Movies
  • The Beast
  • I have a cunning plan
« Reply #1258 on: January 06, 2013, 12:35:42 pm »
So full of trolls, but it's good for a laugh sometimes.

Offline DrFishcake

• The Beast
« Reply #1259 on: January 07, 2013, 07:54:48 pm »
Big spoiler alert!

(click to show/hide)