Author Topic: Missouri passes "Right to Pray" amendment  (Read 3463 times)

Offline CaseAgainstFaith

• Pope
  • Smartass with a Dunce Hat
Missouri passes "Right to Pray" amendment
« on: August 08, 2012, 09:47:43 am »
Missouri voters believe “religious liberty is pretty important to them and a high priority,” said Kerry Messer, president of the Missouri Family Network, as the votes were counted. “The public feels like the Supreme Court took this away from them over 50 years ago” with a ruling against mandatory school prayer.

Alex Luchenitser of Americans United for Separation of Church and State, a Washington D.C.-based group opposing the amendment, said he was disappointed but not surprised at the vote.

“This amendment promotes unconstitutional conduct,” he said. “It’s going to result in a whole lot of litigation.”Any immediate impact of the amendment, which takes effect in 30 days, is still unclear.

The new amendment broadly expands the protections in the state’s constitution by adding new sections on religious issues.

In addition to protecting voluntary prayer in school, the amendment:

• Ensures the right to pray individually or in groups in private or public places, as long as the prayer does not disturb the peace or disrupt a meeting

• Prohibits the state from coercing religious activity.

• Protects the right to pray on government property.

• Protects the right of legislative bodies to sponsor prayers and invocations.

• Says students need not take part in assignments or presentations that violate their religious beliefs.

That last provision may soon become the subject of litigation, some critics warned. They said it could lead to students skipping science classes or assignments when they disagree with teaching about the origins of man.
http://www.kansascity.com/2012/08/07/3749376/right-to-pray-passing-easily-in.html

I really hate my state sometimes.  Oh well I guess nothing like wasting tax payer money right?
Reasoning with a fundie is like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it is victorious - Anonymous
Let us drink like dwarves; Smoke like wizards and party like hobbits!

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
Re: Missouri passes "Right to Pray" amendment
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 10:55:03 am »
Missouri voters believe “religious liberty is pretty important to them and a high priority,” said Kerry Messer, president of the Missouri Family Network, as the votes were counted. “The public feels like the Supreme Court took this away from them over 50 years ago” with a ruling against mandatory school prayer.

Alex Luchenitser of Americans United for Separation of Church and State, a Washington D.C.-based group opposing the amendment, said he was disappointed but not surprised at the vote.

“This amendment promotes unconstitutional conduct,” he said. “It’s going to result in a whole lot of litigation.”Any immediate impact of the amendment, which takes effect in 30 days, is still unclear.

The new amendment broadly expands the protections in the state’s constitution by adding new sections on religious issues.

In addition to protecting voluntary prayer in school, the amendment:

• Ensures the right to pray individually or in groups in private or public places, as long as the prayer does not disturb the peace or disrupt a meeting

• Says students need not take part in assignments or presentations that violate their religious beliefs.

That last provision may soon become the subject of litigation, some critics warned. They said it could lead to students skipping science classes or assignments when they disagree with teaching about the origins of man.
http://www.kansascity.com/2012/08/07/3749376/right-to-pray-passing-easily-in.html

I really hate my state sometimes.  Oh well I guess nothing like wasting tax payer money right?
Bullet by bullet
First 4 are redundant as people can still pray in public etc
The last 2 are dumb.  I can so see kids cutting all classes like Math is violating my religious beliefs.

Distind

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 10:57:04 am »
The last 2 are dumb.  I can so see kids cutting all classes like Math is violating my religious beliefs.
I donno, the last one could be fun. Think it'd be possible to organize students to use it to walk out on any of the religious presentations they obviously intend to use this to back?

Offline erictheblue

• The Beast
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 11:51:14 am »
Redundancy is redundant...

So long as it was not the government doing something to encourage the prayer, this was already allowed.

First Amendment already bars this.

So long as it was not the government doing something to encourage the prayer, this was already allowed.

The USSC has already said this was constitutional. Unless I am misunderstanding what this clause is supposed to do. (I'm reading it as opening their sessions with a prayer.)

Others have already addressed the problems with this one.

So in other words, Missouri did all this work to be allowed to...do what they could do anyway...
[Anonymous is] like... an internet Cthulu... you don't want to rouse them, but at the same time... woah think of the beautiful chaos! - SpaceProg

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 11:53:38 am »
And the Midwest proves that they really do want to go back to the dark ages.
This is full of stupid.

So in other words, Missouri did all this work to be allowed to...do what they could do anyway...

Shhhhh, don't tell them that, they may catch on to why we're laughing at them. But I doubt it, they're not the sharpest tools in the toolshed.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 11:59:39 am by nickiknack »

shykid

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 01:03:14 pm »
I thought these people believed that pointless government regulation killed jobs.

Offline VirtualStranger

• Blinded with Science
  • The Beast
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2012, 01:14:02 pm »
I thought these people believed that pointless government regulation killed jobs.

Regulation only kills jobs when they're the ones being regulated. When they regulate other people then it's Protecting Family Values™

Offline Smurfette Principle

• Will Blind You With Library Science!
  • The Beast
  • Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo.
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2012, 01:18:30 pm »
These people act like Chick Tracts are facts about how life actually works.

Offline Bezron

• a mysterious riddled spicy burrito wrapped enigma...stuck in some hot chick's colon dreaming of fanginas
  • Pope
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2012, 01:39:50 pm »
These people act like Chick Tracts are facts about how life actually works.

A lot of them truly believe that they are

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2012, 07:54:54 pm »
The first thing I thought when I read the title was:

According to this new law, you can be stopped mid-prayer by someone else, for reasons totally unrelated to the way in which you're praying, with no explanation given, and the person who stopped you praying can do things that make it more difficult for you to start praying again for a while.

Just like "Right to Work!"
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline DiscoBerry

• The Beast
    • Has the Hadron Collider Destroyed the Earth Yet?
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2012, 08:38:48 pm »

I was wondering if we have a math whiz here....How are grades, GPA, and class ranking to be calculated if my theoretical child is opted out of I dunno say 4 classes in HS?  Biology, sex-ed, you get the picture.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2012, 10:06:18 pm »
These people are fucktarded.

There's no real negotiating with these sorts of fools. There's only one way out, and that's to make sure people know exactly what these state sec wannabes are really after in such incremental little steps and hoping to shut them out.

Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2012, 01:33:20 am »

History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline Kain

• God
  • The Alkaline one
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2012, 01:36:34 am »
How long 'till a non-Christian tries to take advantage of this? :P
In paranoia I find genius / But the ice-dreams have come
with spiritless consequence / A hatchet has been hidden
between my eyes / A hatchet gift-wrapped in paranoia / A
wooden heart never bleeds / A wooden heart never bleeds,
yet inextricable thoughts still weave / Introspection
fabricated for battle / No time has been wasted
/ Neuroleptic seconds marry electroconvulsive hours / In
the cranial freezer, paranoia is the bastard and I
find genius Petrify / Paralyze

Offline Fpqxz

• The Beast
  • Generic forum poster #666
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2012, 01:40:03 am »

Heh, I remember that episode.
Read some real news:  Allgov.com, JURIST

Step down Mr. and Mrs. Politically Correct.
It's so easy to be "punk" and "aware" living at home.
You can't change shit, you're too self-righteous;
you're the bigots you flaunt to loathe.
--Thought Industry, Boil