Author Topic: Good Things People Say on the Internet  (Read 111437 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Re: Good Things People Say on the Internet
« Reply #315 on: May 12, 2016, 03:18:32 am »
Ok, this is interesting: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Pact

Still does not mean that the entire rant is false even if Lebanon's religious/political customs are complicated. (And besides, it does prove that the different religions and sects work together.)
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #316 on: May 12, 2016, 03:42:07 am »
Ok, this is interesting: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Pact

Still does not mean that the entire rant is false even if Lebanon's religious/political customs are complicated. (And besides, it does prove that the different religions and sects work together.)

I'm not saying it's not a good point, just that I think some context is warranted on one point. (It may also be warranted on other points, but I knew that fact about Lebanon.)
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #317 on: May 14, 2016, 04:55:36 am »
I think you put that in the wrong thread, Askold.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #318 on: May 14, 2016, 05:00:46 am »
...No I didn't.

EDIT:

« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 03:34:51 pm by Askold »
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Even Then

« Reply #319 on: May 22, 2016, 11:26:06 am »
Translated from a Finnish Tumblr post I saw:

"so if you're trans do you have a dick?"

yeah, of course. it's bigger than yours and it glows in the dark.

"no but what do you have between your legs?"

three kilos of potatoes, a reindeer and your dad.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #320 on: May 29, 2016, 12:22:12 pm »

Offline Skybison

• The Beast
« Reply #321 on: June 01, 2016, 01:42:57 am »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxjNxVjTiVM" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxjNxVjTiVM</a>

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #322 on: June 05, 2016, 02:14:08 am »

Offline Svata

• Doesn't even fucking know anymore
  • The Beast
  • No, seriously, fuck astrology.
« Reply #323 on: June 05, 2016, 02:37:37 am »
Best thing to come out of Fox News, pretty much ever.
"Politician" is the occupational equivalent of "Florida".

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #324 on: June 05, 2016, 09:49:36 am »
God damn.  Gonna need a Senzu for that one.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Skybison

• The Beast
« Reply #325 on: June 10, 2016, 02:10:47 am »
Official position of the leadership of the Republican Party: Trump is an inexcusable bigot, and Trump must be our next president.

Bill Kristol said that.  Bill Kristol, the guy known to other republicans as "The guy who's wrong about everything" is right about something.  After you duck under the flying pigs, stop to realize just how bad things have gotten in the GOP.

Offline Skybison

• The Beast
« Reply #326 on: June 28, 2016, 04:27:11 pm »
(about Chemtrail conspiracy theories getting more attention the stopping global warming)
So on one hand we have a real threat, measurable and attestable, that is caused by an identifiable industry and persists as a result of the indifference and short-termism of the world’s governments. On the other, we have a conspiracy, attributed to forces unknown and interests unspecified, so powerful and pervasive that it extends from Mark Zuckerberg to the Paris terrorists. Why does it seem to be harder to generate interest in the real issue than the improbable one?

The real issue – global warming caused by aircraft emissions – calls on us to act. Reducing our impacts means flying less; something that few people are prepared to do. It involves an exhausting battle against a powerful industry and unresponsive governments. It means reading boring papers, attending boring meetings and engaging with a level of political and technical complexity that many people find repulsive. There’s plenty of grind and precious little glory.

But there’s nothing boring about conspiracy theories. They make sense of what can sometimes feel like a senseless world. They tell you that you are among the elect: aware of a grand scheme that other people (or sheeple or sleeple as the conspiracy sites often like to call them) are unable or unwilling to see. It tells you that you are a lonely crusader fighting evil of the kind that’s otherwise encountered only in films about superheroes.

It also absolves you of the responsibility to act. Sure, you might feel moved to create a website, take some photos, perhaps sign the odd petition or even attend one or two noisy demonstrations. But you don’t have to change anything, because somewhere, buried deep in the forebrain, is the knowledge that there’s not really anything to change. You get the glory without the grind.

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #327 on: July 20, 2016, 03:14:56 pm »

Art Vandelay

« Reply #328 on: July 20, 2016, 05:16:32 pm »
So I guess us coke drinkers are filthy misogynists.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #329 on: July 20, 2016, 05:25:15 pm »
And folks who drink Monsters are some kinda alien.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.