Author Topic: Man impregnates sister, then 'honor' kills her.  (Read 6361 times)

Offline Dynamic Dragon

• The Beast
  • Punisher of the Guilty
Re: Man impregnates sister, then 'honor' kills her.
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2013, 10:23:35 am »
Can we please get back on topic?
Learn from the past, live in the present, prepare for the future.

Offline starseeker

• God
« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2013, 06:20:58 am »
Can we please get back on topic?

Do threads here ever stay on topic?

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2013, 02:43:14 am »
"Jihad" translates as "struggle" as well as "holy war" in Arabic. For a contextual cultural translation, think of a name such as "Victor" or "Hunter". It's a fairly common name in the ME, and not really meant to be radical, per se.

That is legitimately fascinating. I totally never thought of that.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2013, 03:06:17 am »

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2013, 08:04:18 am »
I think it's quite dangerous to point at individual crimes and apply them as some indication of the overall situation. This should never have happened, no question. But that doesn't mean it happens often. Shit things happen everywhere. I'd like to see data before I make any sweeping judgements about Lebanese or Arabic (!) culture.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2013, 03:44:04 pm »
I think it's quite dangerous to point at individual crimes and apply them as some indication of the overall situation. This should never have happened, no question. But that doesn't mean it happens often. Shit things happen everywhere. I'd like to see data before I make any sweeping judgements about Lebanese or Arabic (!) culture.

If I remember right, honor killings are mostly confined to the rural, backwater, tribal areas, which is were people can be a bit more backwards and crazy. (Trust me, I have experience) The tradition also predates Islam and was practiced by tribes for quite a while before Islam even existed.

I've also heard that honor killings happen in India, which is primarily Hindu. Somehow, I wouldn't be too shocked if someone pulled shit like that here where I live in the US.
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline Emperor Maximilian

• Neonate
« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2013, 04:41:59 pm »

If I remember right, honor killings are mostly confined to the rural, backwater, tribal areas, which is were people can be a bit more backwards and crazy. (Trust me, I have experience) The tradition also predates Islam and was practiced by tribes for quite a while before Islam even existed.

I've also heard that honor killings happen in India, which is primarily Hindu. Somehow, I wouldn't be too shocked if someone pulled shit like that here where I live in the US.
Yeah, I think Islam gets blamed for some stuff it's not responsible for.

Offline TheUnknown

• The Beast
« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2013, 05:41:09 pm »

Yeah, I think Islam gets blamed for some stuff it's not responsible for.

The way I see it, it's ancient traditions that people continue to take part by taking advantage of loopholes or vague interpretations in Islam, even if it could be argued that it wasn't what Mohammed originally intended.  I think, as long as the new religion doesn't outright condemn a practice, people will hold to whatever old practices as long as possible while following the new ones, especially those old practices that give the ruling classes their power.