Author Topic: Looking for a book on Wicca  (Read 2745 times)

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
Looking for a book on Wicca
« on: July 19, 2012, 03:06:53 pm »
I'm continuing to build my various beliefs/philosophies book collection (My wife just bought me The Vedas and a book on Confusism).  In addition to looking for a book about Native American religions, I'm looking for something about Wicca.  Now someone mentioned a while back The Book of Shadows, but I can't find an official version on Amazon.  I'm not looking for a 'for dummies book' or anything like that.  Instead, I'm looking for something that would, I don't know, be their version of a bible.  Either that or a book of spells.  I don't plan on using it, just adding to my collection, just like my Tarot cards (I don't plan on conjuring demons or sacrificing virgins at the moment). 

If anyone can point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.  Thanks in advance.
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
Re: Looking for a book on Wicca
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 03:48:18 pm »
Well, technically, a book of shadows is each person's personal book, almost like a spiritual journal, filled with information, spells, rituals, that kinda thing.  You won't find "THE Book of Shadows" because it doesn't exist.

That being said, Wicca: A Guide for the Solitary Practitioner by Scott Cunningham seems like a good place to start.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Nightangel8212

• The Wicked Witch of the Great White North
  • The Beast
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 04:33:47 pm »
If you want a book that has damn near everything you need to know about wicca (it'll set you back by at least $50) see if you can't find "Solitary Witch" by Silver Ravenwolf. Keep in mind, not many pagans like her books, but I happen to enjoy them. Some other good authors would be Starhawk or Edain McCoy.

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 04:47:26 pm »
Okay thanks.  I'll check them out.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 04:52:53 pm by Vypernight »
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 04:49:19 pm »
....these people scare me.

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2012, 09:17:06 pm »
Eh, I honestly wouldn't recommend Silver Ravenwolf.

But that's me.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2012, 09:35:08 pm »
Wiccans are cool. I've looked at some Wiccan and Neopagan sources, however, and I've concluded that Silver Ravenwolf is not cool.

http://wicca.cnbeyer.com/ravenwolf.shtml

I'm not saying that you shouldn't buy her books, but be forewarned that she does not represent the vast majority of Wiccans, who (from what I've seen) are very tolerant and nice people. Heck, one of my good friends is a Christian and a Wiccan, and finds Silver Ravenwolf absolutely detestable.
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline Nightangel8212

• The Beast
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2012, 04:49:08 am »
Oh, I ignore all her bs history and I certainly don't agree with some of her views. I simply find that her methods work well for me. As I said, many people don't like her, but her books DO have a lot of good information, at least ritual-wise.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2012, 05:10:24 am »
That may be the case, but he's looking for a book to add to his religion/philosophy collection, not necessarily to practice.  I think.

Is that right, Vyper?

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2012, 05:27:07 am »
Yeah pretty much, in addition of course to reading about different beliefs and practices.

Offline Nightangel8212

• The Beast
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2012, 08:41:33 am »
Okay, then I think books by Starhawk and Scott Cunningham would be your best bet.

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2012, 03:43:44 pm »
Okay, thanks!

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2012, 02:03:15 pm »
Everyone here has good recommendations (though I, too, am not a fan of Ravenwolf), but I feel like adding a couple of my own.

Gor a book on generic Neopaganism (i.e., not just Wicca) I find that Exploring the Pagan Path (multiple authors, New Page Books) isn't too bad.  I've heard Drawing Down the Moon by Margot Adler is also great for learning about many different Pagan paths, but haven't picked it up yet, so can't really say from experience.

Re: Cunningham, for a non-Wiccan, non-seeker, I would personally recommend The Truth About Witchcraft Today.  It's concise, doesn't take unwanted liberties with history, and is specifically geared towards friends and family of Wiccans--not people who want to convert and need to know about getting or making Awesome Rital Gear and finding fellow worshipers.
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2012, 02:25:51 pm »
Cool thanks!  I'll keep those in mind as well.