Author Topic: Spencer's Gifts performs a public service...  (Read 10708 times)

Offline Auggziliary

• The Beast
  • Queen of the birdies
Re: Spencer's Gifts performs a public service...
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2012, 07:05:53 am »
Spencer's gifts sells a lot of awesome stuff too, but all their T-shirts are tacky and now offensive.
BITCHES! YOU BITCHES! Killing me won't bring back your God damn honey!

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2013, 05:11:32 pm »
I like the weird toys & gizmos like Lava Lamps & Plasma Balls. Their Halloween stuff is pretty cool & I like the band-themed stuff & the sex toys.

Some gag things are neat, too, like those gizmos with buttons that say different phrases & make different noises.

I never went there for the clothing....just the tacky & funky playthings & decor.

Offline Jack Mann

• Gold Bugger Jihad Pony
  • God
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2013, 12:28:09 am »
The men's shirts are a bit more offensive because there's societal momentum behind it.  Well, "worse" may not be the best way to put it.  More harmful, let's say.  I mean, not that many people believe that a man's place is serving women.  But plenty of people (male and female) believe that women should serve men.  The men's shirts are more harmful because there are far more people who take the worldview behind them seriously.  It's the same reason that white racism is taken more seriously than black racism.  Are they both bad?  Sure.  Stupid and small-sighted, no matter who's being racist.  But whites still hold a lot more political power than blacks (even with a black president).  Whites still have better chances at promotion.  Police are less likely to target whites.  So, yes, while racism or sexism is wrong no matter who's doing it, there are times when you can say one side is more dangerous than the other.

But yeah, that all being said, both sets of shirts are pretty stupid.  Pity, because as folks have said, Spencers has some cool stuff.
اللغة العربية صعبة ، ولكنها جميلة جدا

Offline Auggziliary

• The Beast
  • Queen of the birdies
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2013, 05:44:57 pm »
The men's shirts are a bit more offensive because there's societal momentum behind it.  Well, "worse" may not be the best way to put it.  More harmful, let's say.  I mean, not that many people believe that a man's place is serving women.  But plenty of people (male and female) believe that women should serve men.  The men's shirts are more harmful because there are far more people who take the worldview behind them seriously.  It's the same reason that white racism is taken more seriously than black racism.  Are they both bad?  Sure.  Stupid and small-sighted, no matter who's being racist.  But whites still hold a lot more political power than blacks (even with a black president).  Whites still have better chances at promotion.  Police are less likely to target whites.  So, yes, while racism or sexism is wrong no matter who's doing it, there are times when you can say one side is more dangerous than the other.

But yeah, that all being said, both sets of shirts are pretty stupid.  Pity, because as folks have said, Spencers has some cool stuff.

I agree with this, but if you took the context out they'd be the same maybe. Like if we lived in a society with no history of sexism ever, the T-shirts would be equally bad I guess.
BITCHES! YOU BITCHES! Killing me won't bring back your God damn honey!

Offline Kain

• God
  • The Alkaline one
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2013, 07:32:16 pm »
I like the weird toys & gizmos like Lava Lamps & Plasma Balls. Their Halloween stuff is pretty cool & I like the band-themed stuff & the sex toys.

Some gag things are neat, too, like those gizmos with buttons that say different phrases & make different noises.

I never went there for the clothing....just the tacky & funky playthings & decor.

Oh look, another thread necro.
In paranoia I find genius / But the ice-dreams have come
with spiritless consequence / A hatchet has been hidden
between my eyes / A hatchet gift-wrapped in paranoia / A
wooden heart never bleeds / A wooden heart never bleeds,
yet inextricable thoughts still weave / Introspection
fabricated for battle / No time has been wasted
/ Neuroleptic seconds marry electroconvulsive hours / In
the cranial freezer, paranoia is the bastard and I
find genius Petrify / Paralyze

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2013, 09:11:01 pm »

Oh look, another thread necro.

Technically, the thread has to be six months old since the last post before it counts as a necro.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet