Author Topic: Good artists, bad people  (Read 16851 times)

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
Re: Good artists, bad people
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2014, 09:03:30 pm »
Furries.

So many...many...many furries
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Offline JohnE

• The Beast
  • Heeeere's JohnE!
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2014, 10:52:30 pm »
Orson Scott Card. Homophobic asshole, but I still like his books.
HP Lovecraft. Racist as fuck.

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2014, 11:09:09 pm »
Adolph Hitler was among the first to come to my mind.  I like a lot of his art.  It was dismissed in his time as being mediocre, but he did have an eye for detail and texture in a lot of his stuff.  I can relate because I strive for the same in the pictures I draw.  All he needed was some encouragement and honing and people could have been praising him today as a great artist instead of condemning him as the megalomaniacal madman he became.  I really wonder if that would have made any difference, though.  I don't know... that's a topic for a different thread entirely.

Anyway, it's weird how things work out the way they do, as well as extremely sad at times. 

...Unless the term "artists" only meant musical artists.  If so, forget I said anything here.
There is a novel about that very thing, exploring the two lives of Adolf Hitler (the one he actually lived, and the one he could have lived had he been accepted in the Art School that rejected him before WWI). It's called La Part de L'Autre by french autor Eric-Emmanuel Schmitt. It's incredibly poignant and well written. I wonder if it was ever translated in english though.

Edit : apparently not. Though it was translated in german.

That's a pity.  I don't know enough German or French for the book to make much sense more than likely.  I've always been a fan of those what-if scenarios. 

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2014, 11:16:52 pm »
Ayn Rand was quite the jackhole, but I still enjoyed Anthem. It's a nice little story if you don't read much into the politics.

On a similar note, I loved Terry Goodkind's "Wizard's First Rule." A shame about the rest of the Sword of Truth.
Who needs a signature?

Offline Captain Jack Harkness

• Petter, Brony, and All-Around Cartoon Addict
  • The Beast
  • Or as a friend calls him, Captain Jack Hotness!
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2014, 11:44:20 pm »
So am I the only one who thinks that David Dee's work looks like it came straight out of a Cracked photoplasty?
My friend's blog.  Check it out!

I blame/credit The Doctor with inspiring my name change.

Offline solar.

• God
  • Bepis
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2014, 12:25:16 am »
Dave Mustaine is the first one to come to mind. He's a talented guitarist, but he's also a homophobic fundie, a conspiracy theorist, and quite possibly a racist.

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2014, 01:21:45 am »
What no Woody Allen yet?

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2014, 01:22:58 am »
Roman Polanski comes to mind...
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline SpaceProg

• The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2014, 02:43:25 am »
^ Yes.  That's a good example indeed.

Offline Yla

• The Beast
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2014, 06:21:26 am »
Adolf Hitler was among the first to come to my mind.  I like a lot of his art.  It was dismissed in his time as being mediocre, but he did have an eye for detail and texture in a lot of his stuff.  I can relate because I strive for the same in the pictures I draw.  All he needed was some encouragement and honing and people could have been praising him today as a great artist instead of condemning him as the megalomaniacal madman he became.  I really wonder if that would have made any difference, though.  I don't know... that's a topic for a different thread entirely.

Anyway, it's weird how things work out the way they do, as well as extremely sad at times. 

...Unless the term "artists" only meant musical artists.  If so, forget I said anything here.
I'm wondering... does this count as an instance of Godwin's Law?
Exploring new contexts every day!
That said, I've stopped trying to anticipate what people around here want a while ago, I've found it makes things smoother.
For I was an hungred, and ye told me to pull myself up by my bootstraps: I was thirsty, and ye demanded payment for the privilege of thine urine: I was a stranger, and ye deported me: naked, and ye arrested me for indecency.

Offline SpaceProg

• The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2014, 09:44:31 am »
I don't know.  It wasn't used as leverage or an insult in a debate or flamewar.   I'm verging on not, but if it is, oh well. :p

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2014, 02:02:11 pm »
Ted Nugent is actually a pretty good guitarist and has written some good songs.
Who needs a signature?

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2014, 05:11:20 pm »
Hitler had potential as a painter and was a surprisingly good architect, but he was a terrible writer.  Mein Kampf is unbelievably boring and confusing.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2014, 06:10:01 pm »
And yet millions of Germans read it, agreed with it, and marched to his tune because of it.

Ironbite-man had charisma out the ass.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2014, 10:09:18 am »
Sean Connery has advocated wife beating/slapping in an interview.

Still an amazing actor but it does not excuse that opinion.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!