Author Topic: Man takes 2 hours to die after lethal injection  (Read 4878 times)

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
Re: Man takes 2 hours to die after lethal injection
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2014, 06:23:04 am »
executing people is a pain. the prison system costs big bucks. how about we give criminals the choice between the lash and labor? there are roads that have to be built, after all...

and in some cases, i'd call for both, but never until death loomed. i may be cold-blooded in that regard, but not callous.

edit: i'm against permanent lockup and i don't trust the judicial system with someone's life, that's why i'd prefer hard work. (but not "work til you die" work. "work til that building's up and you've paid your debt to society" work)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 06:24:43 am by Guizonde »
@ guizonde: I think I like the way you think.
Warning: Biohazardously Awesome

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2014, 06:37:10 am »
That doesn't really work when you have a violent criminal who shouldn't be released into society due to the potential to harm more people.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2014, 06:40:24 am »
That doesn't really work when you have a violent criminal who shouldn't be released into society due to the potential to harm more people.

still better than killing an innocent in my mind, but i'm totally open to other suggestions. i'd avoid old-school punishments, like the rack, the ordeal, the question, or the iron maiden, but the stocks could be great... for bankers at least  ;D

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2014, 08:35:30 am »
but the stocks could be great... for bankers at least  ;D

That assumes that bankers ever go to prison, their wealth and influence always helps them to slime their way out.

I really dont get the whole cocktail of drugs thing. There are so many ways to kill a person quickly efficiently and relatively painlessly. An OD of morphine will do the job, the criminal will go into a coma and then their breathing will stop, relatively quickly too. Inject a large enough quantity of just about anything into a person and it will kill them in short order, why do they have to use all kinds of special drugs? Any anesthesia will work.

Hell, we could even use the spike guns used by the farming industry to kill livestock. Its a re-usable spike to the brain and pretty much instant death. If you destroy the brain well enough there is literally no possibility of pain, failure or the execution taking too long.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2014, 08:49:47 am »
Maybe we should bring back the guillotine.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 09:18:06 am by Ultimate Paragon »

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2014, 09:08:53 am »
Maybe we
should
bring back the guillotine.

the last execution by guillotine was on september 9th 1977, and it worked. the guy is still dead. we have many methods of execution that are tried and true, but i'm not willing to trust anyone with that much power.

i trust judges and juries as far as i can throw them, and i'm not a big guy. if i could trust that a judge could handle the life of someone, i'd be maybe ok with the death penalty. with the judiciary system (be it the french or the american one, or the english. the rest i don't know) the way it is, i will never trust it with human life. there are too many errors committed as it is.

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2014, 10:35:08 am »
but the stocks could be great... for bankers at least  ;D

That assumes that bankers ever go to prison, their wealth and influence always helps them to slime their way out.

I really dont get the whole cocktail of drugs thing. There are so many ways to kill a person quickly efficiently and relatively painlessly. An OD of morphine will do the job, the criminal will go into a coma and then their breathing will stop, relatively quickly too. Inject a large enough quantity of just about anything into a person and it will kill them in short order, why do they have to use all kinds of special drugs? Any anesthesia will work.

Hell, we could even use the spike guns used by the farming industry to kill livestock. Its a re-usable spike to the brain and pretty much instant death. If you destroy the brain well enough there is literally no possibility of pain, failure or the execution taking too long.

A gas chamber with Carbon Monoxide instead of that nasty stuff they usually gave them. Carbon Monoxide is a GUARANTEED quick & painless death. A little woozy...a gentle sleep...a very peaceful corpse.

That said, with the occasional innocent person getting executed, I think we should stop executions or reserve them only for the worst cases that are totally proven, for the Bundys, Alcalas, Dahmers, Sowells, Gacys, etc. of the world...or the worst overthrown political despots & their closest & equally-guilty cronies.

Otherwise, the worst should get life in prison without parole & spend the rest of their lives making license plates & stuff. Lesser but still serious (including white-collar crooks & professional con artists) should get manual labor (but humane, with water & a brief lunch period). The rest can get rehabilitation & folks busted for lighter stuff like drug possession will just pay a stiff fine but no jail time.

I think there should be isolated colonies for psychopathic types & sex offenders. If a lawmaker is merciful but is aware that these people are incurable, they should just have a colony, commune or kibbutz for those guys.

Perhaps we should strive to take the higher road. Norway has an EXTREMELY humane system & they're doing great! It works!

Perhaps the worst of the worst should stay in a colony & the rest in Norwegian-style prison with the drugs/prostitution/lighter felonies getting a big fine & counseling (unless the drug offender is a big cartel drug kingpin or something....or just legalize most of the stuff).

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2014, 10:47:31 am »
i trust judges and juries as far as i can throw them, and i'm not a big guy. if i could trust that a judge could handle the life of someone, i'd be maybe ok with the death penalty. with the judiciary system (be it the french or the american one, or the english. the rest i don't know) the way it is, i will never trust it with human life. there are too many errors committed as it is.

Judges are given power over people's lives even without the death penalty, though. Life in prison is not quite as irreversible as death, but it's still in some sense taking a life away.

Not making any sort of point, just an observation.
Σא

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2014, 01:17:15 pm »
I support the death penalty (with restrictions) but I do think we need a better method than lethal injection. My suggestion is a shotgun blast to the head - destroy the condemned's brain before he even has a chance to feel pain.
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

Offline Danarth

• Apprentice
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2014, 03:28:12 pm »
Or we could just stop. Killing people doesn't deter crime.

Perhaps it would be prudent to stop wasting money on the death penalty and look at what actually causes crime.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2014, 03:50:44 pm »
Or we could just stop. Killing people doesn't deter crime.

Perhaps it would be prudent to stop wasting money on the death penalty and look at what actually causes crime.

I'm with you. If we are to grow as a species, we need to strive for a higher standard of ethics.

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2014, 03:57:29 pm »
I support the death penalty (with restrictions)

How do you get around the problem of innocents being killed? I have yet to hear a reasonable defense of that.

Every posthumous exoneration should automatically carry with it a first-degree murder charge against the governor. We all know that's never going to happen, but it illustrates the problem with capital punishment. One innocent inmate being executed is automatically worse than withholding bloodthirsty satisfaction and abolishing capital punishment altogether.

but I do think we need a better method than lethal injection. My suggestion is a shotgun blast to the head - destroy the condemned's brain before he even has a chance to feel pain.

It's not a sure thing. People survive shotgun blasts to the head on a regular basis and it's not pretty. But hey, if you want a cruel, drawn out death for vengeance's sake, go ahead. Just advertise your barbaric tendencies so that I know to stay the fuck away from your backwards society.

EDIT: Actually, I do support capital punishment for legal fictions. It's like they say: "I'll believe corporations are people when Texas executes one."
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 04:12:04 pm by Ironchew »
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2014, 05:09:47 pm »
These most recent painful death episodes took place in states where successful administration of an enema is considered an accomplishment.
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2014, 05:10:09 pm »

still better than killing an innocent in my mind, but i'm totally open to other suggestions. i'd avoid old-school punishments, like the rack, the ordeal, the question, or the iron maiden, but the stocks could be great... for bankers at least  ;D

I wasn't saying that in support of the death penalty. You said you were against life in prison, and I was explaining why life sentences can be necessary.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2014, 10:59:32 am »
I support the death penalty (with restrictions) but I do think we need a better method than lethal injection. My suggestion is a shotgun blast to the head - destroy the condemned's brain before he even has a chance to feel pain.

Tell that to James Vance
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hub967uvg-c" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hub967uvg-c</a>