Author Topic: Man takes 2 hours to die after lethal injection  (Read 4868 times)

Offline Danarth

• Apprentice
Re: Man takes 2 hours to die after lethal injection
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2014, 11:56:41 am »
Or we could just stop. Killing people doesn't deter crime.

Perhaps it would be prudent to stop wasting money on the death penalty and look at what actually causes crime.

I'm with you. If we are to grow as a species, we need to strive for a higher standard of ethics.

Hell, if people don't want to go for the ethical approach, then there is still the economic angle. The death penalty is expensive. So, all these fiscal conservative types should support the abolition of the death penalty too.

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2014, 12:30:26 pm »

Perhaps it would be prudent to stop wasting money on the death penalty and look at what actually causes crime.

I'm with you. If we are to grow as a species, we need to strive for a higher standard of ethics.

Hell, if people don't want to go for the ethical approach, then there is still the economic angle. The death penalty is expensive. So, all these fiscal conservative types should support the abolition of the death penalty too.

Nah, they'd just claim that the process is flawed and needs to be overhauled since obviously it should be cheaper to kill someone now than it should to incarcerate them for 30+ years.

...you know, just like the answer to all our economic woes is to deregulate industry and remove all protections.

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2014, 12:38:03 pm »

The huge problem with the economic argument is that it doesn't have to be expensive at all to kill someone. That is why other moral arguments against the death penalty are more important.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2014, 10:00:50 pm »

Nah, they'd just claim that the process is flawed and needs to be overhauled since obviously it should be cheaper to kill someone now than it should to incarcerate them for 30+ years.

Well, it is somewhat odd. I wouldn't be surprised if it was in fact possible to overhaul the system and make the death penalty cheaper, without making it worse than it is on the whole "false conviction" front.

I'm not saying we should. But it might be doable.
Σא

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2014, 12:33:39 am »

Well, it is somewhat odd. I wouldn't be surprised if it was in fact possible to overhaul the system and make the death penalty cheaper, without making it worse than it is on the whole "false conviction" front.

The cost is, by my understanding, that of all the appeals. Cutting costs on death penalty cases would probably mean cutting the number of opportunities the convict has to appeal the verdict.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2014, 01:07:07 am »

The cost is, by my understanding, that of all the appeals. Cutting costs on death penalty cases would probably mean cutting the number of opportunities the convict has to appeal the verdict.

Unfortunately, to do that, you'd have to change the legal system overall, because juries are an imperfect people who can be swayed by pretty arguments and the race of the accused and the victim.

After all, we had an innocent black man executed even as new evidence came to light about his innocence, and yet people were convinced that just because he was convicted by a jury, that he was somehow actually guilty.

As long as prejudice exists in the USA, a jury will always be imperfect, and innocent people will always be convicted.

And prejudice will always exist.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2014, 03:23:03 pm »

It's all sorts of things. Death penalty trials take longer at basically every stage than life without parole trials. http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/costs-death-penalty

Presumably it's because people want to be extra-careful when sending someone to die, but it does make you wonder. Either all these extra costs are necessary to ascertain innocence to a reasonable degree, or they are not. If the first, it suggests there are proportionally lots of people serving life without parole who are innocent. If the second, it suggests the state wastes millions in death penalty cases for no good reason.

Either way, something is broken.
Σא

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2014, 03:32:38 pm »
I support the death penalty (with restrictions) but I do think we need a better method than lethal injection. My suggestion is a shotgun blast to the head - destroy the condemned's brain before he even has a chance to feel pain.

Tell that to James Vance

Hey, I've seen that documentary. The guy's mother blamed Judas Priest for the suicide attempt that disfigured him. Also, the only reason the attempt didn't succeed was because the gun slipped because he was drunk and the gun was covered in his friend's (who did successfully commit suicide) blood. In other words, he missed.
Who needs a signature?