Author Topic: Man takes 2 hours to die after lethal injection  (Read 4848 times)

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
Man takes 2 hours to die after lethal injection
« on: July 23, 2014, 11:10:51 pm »
http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/joseph-rudolph-wood-execution-inmate-dies-2-hours-after-lethal-injection-1.2716311

Lawyers for 55-year-old Joseph Rudolph Wood filed an emergency appeal with the U.S. Supreme Court while the execution was underway, demanding that it be stopped. The appeal said Wood was "gasping and snorting for more than an hour."

Word that Justice Anthony Kennedy denied the appeal came about a half hour after Wood's death.

Arizona Attorney General Tom Horne's office said Wood, a convicted murderer, was pronounced dead at 3:49 p.m., one hour and 57 minutes after the execution began.

Wood gasped more than 600 times before he died.

Meanwhile, the victims' families:

Family members of the victims said they had no problems with the way the execution was carried out.

"This man conducted a horrific murder and you guys are going, 'Let's worry about the drugs,'" said Richard Brown. "Why didn't they give him a bullet?"
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
Re: Man takes 2 hours to die after lethal injection
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 11:21:43 pm »
So much for forbidding a "cruel and unusual punishment."

Also, pardon me, but I'm going to be an asshole for a moment.

Richard Brown, your mindset is just as bad, if not worse, than the mindset of the man who was just executed.  I know how you got to that mindset, but there's no excuse.  There is little that is more immoral than a thirst for vengeance.

I would show him more sympathy, but he lost that right when he displayed the same callous disregard for human life as the killer did.  We don't let sociopaths make excuses, why should I let a neurotypical make excuses for his behavior?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 11:27:24 pm by Magus Silveresti »
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Nemo

• Pope
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 11:29:22 pm »
If they had given him a bullet, that would have been far quicker than two hours, I'll admit. I've never been in a position where I would be apt to seek out vengeance, so I will withhold judgement for Mr. Brown. He has obviously suffered far worse than I ever have.

If we are going to execute people, we should do it in the fastest, least painful way possible.
"If it's white or Jewish then they're criminals, if it's two brown people killing each other ... meh, that's their culture and we should respect it ... cultural relativists should be ashamed of themselves." - Faisal Saeed Al Mutar

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 11:34:18 pm »
Because a fucking bullet is so much more cruel than this! Sedate, then shoot. It's that fucking simple. If you have to kill a man, that's all you fucking need.
Who needs a signature?

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 11:34:30 pm »
You all realize this is at least the second time this has happened in the past couple months right? A similar thing happened in Oklahoma not long ago.
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 11:37:29 pm »
If they had given him a bullet, that would have been far quicker than two hours, I'll admit. I've never been in a position where I would be apt to seek out vengeance, so I will withhold judgement for Mr. Brown. He has obviously suffered far worse than I ever have.

If we are going to execute people, we should do it in the fastest, least painful way possible.

Of course, we could just abandon this barbaric abuse of the legal system and imprison them for the rest of their lives.  Such is our moral imperative as a society living in the 21st century.

The government has no business quenching people's thirst for blood.  There is never a case where someone legitimately needs to die for you to achieve peace and resolution.  There are other ways.

Murder is murder.  Making it legal doesn't change its moral impact.  That is why I have such a strong problem with capital punishment, and a stronger problem with the people who passionately defend it.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 11:48:23 pm »
Family members of the victims said they had no problems with the way the execution was carried out.

"This man conducted a horrific murder and you guys are going, 'Let's worry about the drugs,'" said Richard Brown. "Why didn't they give him a bullet?"

Call me crazy, but I don't think the families of the victims have the most objective point of view in this situation.

I've said this before, but after millennia of humans finding more and more creative ways to kill each other, something is seriously wrong when the state somehow can't figure out a reliably quick way to kill someone. And I suspect the answer is that they're not even trying.
Σא

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2014, 11:50:08 pm »

Call me crazy, but I don't think the families of the victims have the most objective point of view in this situation.

I've said this before, but after millennia of humans finding more and more creative ways to kill each other, something is seriously wrong when the state somehow can't figure out a reliably quick way to kill someone. And I suspect the answer is that they're not even trying.

Part of the issue is that the drug cocktails they were using in the past were effective and you didn't hear about these sorts of things nearly so often, but the companies that made the drugs decided they didn't want their drugs linked to executions, so they decided that one of the stipulations on selling the drugs would be that they would never be used in executions.
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2014, 11:55:39 pm »
Shooting, Guillotine or Hanging. The first two can be made 100% proof (fire several bullets at once... Make the guillotine blade really heavy) and the worst that can happen in hanging is that the rope snaps. (hanging can also go wrong and turn into decapitation, but that is still a quick way to go rather than AGONIZING 2 HOURS!)

But those are more "savage" than the "humane" execution method of lethal injection. The problem is not that there isn't a quick and relatively painless way to kill someone, the problem is the lethal injection has the best PR.

OR... You could just stop executing people. That would also work.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2014, 11:58:47 pm »
Fun fact: Because of all the appeals, death penalty cases end up being more expensive on average than ones where the maximum punishment is life imprisonment.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2014, 12:03:21 am »
Amazing.  Just amazing.

Ironbite-just put two in his head.  How hard is this?

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2014, 12:03:32 am »
Part of the issue is that the drug cocktails they were using in the past were effective and you didn't hear about these sorts of things nearly so often, but the companies that made the drugs decided they didn't want their drugs linked to executions, so they decided that one of the stipulations on selling the drugs would be that they would never be used in executions.

That's part of the issue, yeah. The other part is the desire to use drugs to carry out capital punishment because they look far less barbaric, despite the whole "risking a painful, drawn-out death" thing.
Σא

Offline Nemo

• Pope
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2014, 12:11:47 am »

Of course, we could just abandon this barbaric abuse of the legal system and imprison them for the rest of their lives.  Such is our moral imperative as a society living in the 21st century.

The government has no business quenching people's thirst for blood.  There is never a case where someone legitimately needs to die for you to achieve peace and resolution.  There are other ways.

Murder is murder.  Making it legal doesn't change its moral impact.  That is why I have such a strong problem with capital punishment, and a stronger problem with the people who passionately defend it.
Easy there. I wasn't defending the death penalty passionately. I'm not even sure how I feel about it; I was simply presenting an analysis of how it should be done if we do do it. And as for there never being a case where someone must die in order for you to have peace, you might want to think about that. This might apply to you, in which case I take it back preemptively, but until you have been in a situation where you have experienced what Richard Brown experienced, can you be certain you would not want revenge? Then again, maybe it's good that decisions are made by people who haven't been in Richard's position, to keep emotions out of it.
"If it's white or Jewish then they're criminals, if it's two brown people killing each other ... meh, that's their culture and we should respect it ... cultural relativists should be ashamed of themselves." - Faisal Saeed Al Mutar

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2014, 12:15:13 am »
Quote from: Shylock
He hath disgraced me, and hindered me half a million; laughed at my losses, mocked at my gains, scorned my nation, thwarted my bargains, cooled my friends, heated mine enemies; and what's his reason? I am a Jew. Hath not a Jew eyes? hath not a Jew hands, organs, dimensions, senses, affections, passions? fed with the same food, hurt with the same weapons, subject to the same diseases, healed by the same means, warmed and cooled by the same winter and summer, as a Christian is? If you prick us, do we not bleed? if you tickle us, do we not laugh? if you poison us, do we not die? and if you wrong us, shall we not revenge? If we are like you in the rest, we will resemble you in that. If a Jew wrong a Christian, what is his humility? Revenge. If a Christian wrong a Jew, what should his sufferance be by Christian example? Why, revenge. The villany you teach me, I will execute, and it shall go hard but I will better the instruction.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2014, 01:46:26 am »

Easy there. I wasn't defending the death penalty passionately. I'm not even sure how I feel about it; I was simply presenting an analysis of how it should be done if we do do it. And as for there never being a case where someone must die in order for you to have peace, you might want to think about that. This might apply to you, in which case I take it back preemptively, but until you have been in a situation where you have experienced what Richard Brown experienced, can you be certain you would not want revenge? Then again, maybe it's good that decisions are made by people who haven't been in Richard's position, to keep emotions out of it.

I wasn't saying you were defending it passionately, I was talking about people who do.

And I don't know if I would want revenge if someone close to me died.  But even if I did, it would still be wrong, and I would be wrong.