Author Topic: Horrible attempts to ride Twilight's coattails  (Read 3500 times)

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
Horrible attempts to ride Twilight's coattails
« on: January 07, 2014, 02:49:16 pm »
We've all heard about the Twilight Saga.  However, there have been a number of other paranormal romance books that are just as bad, or arguably even worse.

I think one of the worst of these is the Hush, Hush series.  For one, it has a male lead so unlikeable he makes Edward Cullen look like Will Smith.  Its female lead is a brainless bint.  It has plot holes you could drive a monster truck through.  The "villains" are more likeable and sympathetic than the "heroes".  I could go on, but I won't.

You can read more about the series here: http://zelda-queen.livejournal.com/95548.html.

Have you stumbled across bad Paranormal Romances?

Offline Flying Mint Bunny!

• Zoot be praised and to His Chosen victory
  • The Beast
Re: Horrible attempts to ride Twilight's coattails
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 04:09:16 pm »
I missread the title as "Hobbit attempts to ride Twilight's coattails" and thought this was gonna be about some horrific Twilight inspired addition to the Hobbit films.

As for bad paranomal romance, has anyone ever read Christine Feehans Dark series?

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 08:53:30 pm »
50 Shades of Grey. (URL leads to excellent deconstruction.)

HUGE doses of "stalking is love," "rape is love," "abuse is totally BDSM," and "asking for consent then continuing after a 'No' is OK."  And that's just the tip of the fail-iceberg.

(EDIT to fix link.  Sorry y'all.)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 11:34:39 am by TheL »
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 09:57:46 pm »
[rul=http://pervocracy.blogspot.com/search/label/Fifty%20shades%20of%20grey]50 Shades of Grey.[/url] (URL leads to excellent deconstruction.)

HUGE doses of "stalking is love," "rape is love," "abuse is totally BDSM," and "asking for consent then continuing after a 'No' is OK."  And that's just the tip of the fail-iceberg.
Yes, we all know about Fifty Shades of Grey.  Personally, I hope the movie never gets made.

My brother's heavily into BDSM, and he's offended by the depiction of the subculture.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2014, 01:24:46 pm »
That's what disturbs me most about FSoG the lack of consent. The fact that the woman is FORCED into it against her will! Sick!

If she's forced into BDSM that means it's not her bag! Imagine being a non-scat person forced into doing scat? Makes my skin crawl!

People should do BDSM/Scat/Golden Showers or whatever if they WANT to!! You can't force a fetish on someone.

Some like costumes, some like tickling, some like whipped cream, some like massage, some like toys, some like whips & paddles, so like to play with their *blarrgh* poo *yuk*, etc. The important word here is CONSENT.

The fact that there's a bunch of women who like these books makes me wonder about them.

The weird thing is, it's been done before, it's practically plagarism: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Story_of_O
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 01:26:43 pm by SpukiKitty »

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2014, 01:56:54 pm »
That's what disturbs me most about FSoG the lack of consent. The fact that the woman is FORCED into it against her will! Sick!

If she's forced into BDSM that means it's not her bag! Imagine being a non-scat person forced into doing scat? Makes my skin crawl!

People should do BDSM/Scat/Golden Showers or whatever if they WANT to!! You can't force a fetish on someone.

Some like costumes, some like tickling, some like whipped cream, some like massage, some like toys, some like whips & paddles, so like to play with their *blarrgh* poo *yuk*, etc. The important word here is CONSENT.

The fact that there's a bunch of women who like these books makes me wonder about them.

The weird thing is, it's been done before, it's practically plagarism: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Story_of_O
Yeah, you could easily rewrite it as some kind of Hitchcock-style horror novel.

Offline Morgenleoht

• The Beast
  • Formerly Known As Runa
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2014, 05:49:06 pm »
As for bad paranomal romance, has anyone ever read Christine Feehans Dark series?

I liked the Dark Series. And then I grew up.
Fundie Neighbour: "Pagans don't feel things the same way Christians do."

Me: "Just remember what the Vikings used to do to Christians that annoyed them."

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2014, 12:31:32 am »

Yeah, you could easily rewrite it as some kind of Hitchcock-style horror novel.
I was thinking something the Cinema Snob would review un-ironically.
I'd love to see that review.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2014, 12:38:49 am »
By the way, my wife told me about an unintentionally hilarious romance novel called Hedging His Bets.  Apparently, it stars an alpha-male were-hedgehog named Blake Carlisle who comes up with a zany scheme to get into his love interest's pants.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2014, 05:14:24 am »
That one time spike tried to get on twilights dress.

I will now administer my own beating.

Here, let me help you with that... *pulls out the Crowbar of Divine Justice*
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Yla

• The Beast
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2014, 10:54:12 am »
Paranormal romance existed before the Twilight series, in all the usual spectra of quality.
Twilight gave the genre a popularity boost, but didn't invent it.
That said, I've stopped trying to anticipate what people around here want a while ago, I've found it makes things smoother.
For I was an hungred, and ye told me to pull myself up by my bootstraps: I was thirsty, and ye demanded payment for the privilege of thine urine: I was a stranger, and ye deported me: naked, and ye arrested me for indecency.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2014, 12:41:37 pm »
We've all heard about the Twilight Saga.  However, there have been a number of other paranormal romance books that are just as bad, or arguably even worse.

I think one of the worst of these is the Hush, Hush series.  For one, it has a male lead so unlikeable he makes Edward Cullen look like Will Smith.  Its female lead is a brainless bint.  It has plot holes you could drive a monster truck through.  The "villains" are more likeable and sympathetic than the "heroes".  I could go on, but I won't.

You can read more about the series here: http://zelda-queen.livejournal.com/95548.html.

Have you stumbled across bad Paranormal Romances?

My sister got that on a friend's recommendation, but she hasn't read it yet. After seeing the sporking, I've been warning her away from it.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2014, 08:25:12 am »
Let's not forget Save the Pearls.  Oh my God.  It's racist, it's misogynistic, it fails science on every conceivable level, and it's just plain unpleasant.