Author Topic: Video Game Thread 2.0  (Read 1515144 times)

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
Re: Video Game Thread 2.0
« Reply #3240 on: August 25, 2013, 12:29:51 am »
Technically supposed to be a wishful thinking genderbend of myself. Eh. I'm gonna get some screens of my SR4 boss when I get home.

Heh, mine's a heavily idealized version of myself, plus green eyes, a shitload of tattoos and occasionally purple hair. Mostly I just borrowed my complexion and long, dark hair.

I wish the tattoos were more customizable... you get the same ones for back and chest and then arms and legs have the same ones. And since I don't wear shorts there's no point in me paying for tats on my legs.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #3241 on: August 25, 2013, 12:32:15 am »
Fully clothed and stylish as hell:

"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline Sour Grapes

• Bishop
  • Brutally honest.
    • Ask Sour Grapes
« Reply #3242 on: August 25, 2013, 12:28:58 pm »
I should get screenshots from SR2 and 3.

But I'm loving the fact that my Boss can be a total geek, and run around in an Aperture Science t-shirt and an N7 hat.  Thank you Gentlemen of the Row mod.

Saints Row 3?  I LOVE the Russian voice.  She is crazy.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #3243 on: August 25, 2013, 02:45:11 pm »
I have the... rough kinda Australian/British accent (I can't tell which) for my Boss.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline SimSim

• Lover of Good Beer and Bad Movies
  • The Beast
  • I have a cunning plan
« Reply #3244 on: August 25, 2013, 03:41:09 pm »
Anyone have any tips for Dishonored? I can't seem to get the stealth part down.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #3245 on: August 25, 2013, 03:53:06 pm »
Anyone have any tips for Dishonored? I can't seem to get the stealth part down.

First off, get Dark Vision. It's imperative that you can see where anyone is before you bumble into their field of view. If you fully upgrade it, you can also follow power lines from alarms, Walls of Light, and Arc Pylons to figure out how to shut them off or turn them to your side.

Second, be very fast. Blink is very useful because while it looks to you like you're simply moving quickly across the map, you really are teleporting. A fully upgraded Blink can easily get you all the way across the street without anyone seeing you.

If a guard is ever alone, stealthily take them out. You want to minimize the number of guards that can potentially spot and attack you; you'll occasionally get guards muttering "I thought someone was patrolling here", but as far as I know they don't go to alert if a guard is missing. It's best to save your sleep darts for long range shots and use your chokehold whenever you can. Especially since if you're aiming for a pacifist run, there's no way to take out an alerted enemy non-fatally except by hitting him with a sleep dart and running.

And always look for alternate routes. Start by looking up toward the roofs, then down toward the sewers and crawlspaces. A lot of levels have paths that can sneak you around many guards.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Kakarot
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #3246 on: August 25, 2013, 08:52:42 pm »
I am having such a blast in SR4.

I want to romance Keith David but he's Daddy Anderson to me. It'd be weird as fuck.

&
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #3247 on: August 25, 2013, 10:05:55 pm »
Tried a new mod for Skyrim called SXP.

If anyone's played Oblivion on the PC and modded things at all, there's a mod for that game called OblivionXP.  It's an overhaul of the leveling system.  Instead of gaining experience in a skill until it levels, then gaining enough skills to get a character level, you fight enemies/pick locks/complete quests/pick your nose/fart/whatever to gain actual experience points.  Once you get enough experience points, you gain a level, at which point, you get some attribute points and some skill points to distribute.  You're capped to 5 increases per level up, and you're also capped on how high you can raise your skills based on your level (You can't achieve Journeyman in any skill until you're level 5, for instance).  It's a great mod that tackles the balancing problems with leveling up perfectly, but it's also a taste issue.

SXP isn't like this.  SXP, you gain experience for doing things, and you can "buy" skill ups directly with that experience.  The level system is handled as normal with Skyrim.

It's fairly good at what it does, and it is inspired by OblivionXP, but I must admit I was a bit disappointed that it wasn't really all that much like OblivionXP.  Also, some of the experience you get is a little too blanketed (you get the same experience for picking a Novice Lock that you would get for picking a Master Lock.  You get the same amount of experience for pickpocketing a Gold Jeweled Necklace that you would for pickpocketing a lockpick.  However, you do get more experience for pickpocketing a stack of gold, or a stack of arrows, because it counts each thing individually.)
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #3248 on: August 26, 2013, 07:59:55 am »
Holy shit, I won a total war game, for the first time. Ever. I love these games, but im fucking awful at them when my nation gets big. Always lose

BUT HOLY FUCK I WON
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Kakarot
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #3249 on: August 26, 2013, 04:15:32 pm »
I just spent jkhdafjlkakjlfa minutes collecting the data clusters. Welp.

&

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #3250 on: August 26, 2013, 04:29:03 pm »
I'm trying to steadily capture the rest of Morningstar territory in SR3. It's making me dislike the big gunfights more and more.

One thing that really irks me about the game is that you never get invincibility frames. If the Boss decides to pose after doing one of his wrestling moves, you continue to take damage during the animation. As far as I can tell, there's not a single animation where you're unable to be damaged. Long melee attacks that you can't cancel, helping up a homie, killing a Brute, etc.

It wouldn't be quite as irritating if more of the animations could be canceled.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #3251 on: August 26, 2013, 05:28:52 pm »
I'm done all of the main missions and side quests in SR4. Just need to beat the co-op activities (if I can find anyone to play with) and the rest of the challenges to get 100% completion.

(click to show/hide)

I just spent jkhdafjlkakjlfa minutes collecting the data clusters. Welp.

I spent an embarrassing amount of time doing that, along with collecting all of the audio recordings, etc.

I really wish there were more collectables and that the side quests (other than the loyalty missions) weren't basically just redirects to the activities. I'm sure they're going to release all kinds of custom content and expansions, but it would have been nice to have that stuff included in the main game, particularly when they're charging $50 for it.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline Shane for Wax

• Kakarot
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #3252 on: August 26, 2013, 05:31:27 pm »
I actually made a post remarking about that on my tumblr. I found myself getting bored with the quests so I ended up picking up the clusters and now I'm heading back to the main mission line.

&

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #3253 on: August 27, 2013, 05:50:55 am »
Wow, I just tried the first Torchlight.

It's like... Diablo II with Diablo I's style of advancing forward in the game, except not absolutely terrible and overrated.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Kakarot
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #3254 on: August 27, 2013, 12:08:38 pm »
Oh hey you finally tried it. About time. :P

&