Author Topic: Video Game Thread 2.0  (Read 1511949 times)

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
Re: Video Game Thread 2.0
« Reply #6030 on: September 13, 2015, 07:21:18 pm »
Besides, if you want to get into really racist depictions, you can get no more racist than Mr. Popo.

Sleep well tonight, kids.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #6031 on: September 14, 2015, 01:08:02 pm »
I think part of the problem is that Japan has very few black people.  Therefore, much of the criticism doesn't get back to them.

But anyway, actual Arab gamers don't seem to mind.  This reminds me of how people got offended on behalf of Mexicans over Speedy Gonzales, or how they got offended on behalf of the Sami over Kristoff from Frozen.

Even Then

« Reply #6032 on: September 14, 2015, 03:23:15 pm »
Sami people did get (justifiably) pissed about Kristoff,  though, so that's not a very good example. There are Sami on both sides.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #6033 on: September 14, 2015, 04:28:34 pm »
Sami people did get (justifiably) pissed about Kristoff,  though, so that's not a very good example. There are Sami on both sides.

Care to point me to examples?  Because it seems like the vast majority of Sami people shared this guy's thoughts on the controversy:

Even Then

« Reply #6034 on: September 14, 2015, 04:51:44 pm »
I'm exiled to mobile atm, so can you wait? I promise I'll link it once my computer stops being an asshole.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #6035 on: September 15, 2015, 07:59:56 am »

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #6037 on: September 15, 2015, 10:54:14 am »

Even Then

« Reply #6038 on: September 15, 2015, 11:27:56 am »
Roleplay and cosplay are two different things, you know. Anyway, I've seen a lot of people say "go ahead and cosplay nonwhite characters, just don't do blackface/yellowface/etc and be respectful to the culture" which is reasonable enough to me.

Also, what you need to understand is that a piece of clothing is not always just a piece of clothing. Take the Plains Native American war bonnet, for example. Just feathers affixed to a leather headband, right? Nope. It has a fuckton of cultural significance, and just wearing it as a cool fashion accessory spits on that. That's the point. There's a difference between someone respectfully wearing a war bonnet while communicating with Plains Native American people and understanding the significance and dressing up as a Sexy Injun on Halloween, you know?

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #6039 on: September 15, 2015, 11:51:06 am »
I ascend from the ashes of computer hard drive errors to bring you the promised links.

http://selchieproductions.tumblr.com/post/68547136109/okay-i-totally-respect-your-opinion-so-im-not
http://selchieproductions.tumblr.com/post/68803637950/hi-i-have-a-school-assignment-about-disneys
http://selchieproductions.tumblr.com/post/73866006709/same-anon-here-i-know-you-did-a-comparison-way
http://selchieproductions.tumblr.com/post/63955085602/you-realize-a-sami-person-has-been-repeatedly
http://daynapapaya.tumblr.com/post/91572300075/gogogadgetgoatkins-the-unpopular-opinions-i
http://thiscouldhavebeenfrozen.tumblr.com/post/70844791278/i-love-your-blog-mostly-because-as-a-saami

So yeah, one dude on a blog for unpopular opinions =/= "a vast majority of Sami". (Neither do my links, but then again I wasn't the one claiming "vast majorities".)

It's not just "one dude".  I give you other examples, if you want.

And as for those people, well, I've found that people are usually more vociferous when it comes to complaints than when it comes to praise.  The "silent majority" is real.  I'm not dismissing their opinions, mind you, I'm just saying that they don't speak for the majority of the Sami.

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #6040 on: September 15, 2015, 11:53:47 am »
Roleplay and cosplay are two different things, you know. Anyway, I've seen a lot of people say "go ahead and cosplay nonwhite characters, just don't do blackface/yellowface/etc and be respectful to the culture" which is reasonable enough to me.

Also, what you need to understand is that a piece of clothing is not always just a piece of clothing. Take the Plains Native American war bonnet, for example. Just feathers affixed to a leather headband, right? Nope. It has a fuckton of cultural significance, and just wearing it as a cool fashion accessory spits on that. That's the point. There's a difference between someone respectfully wearing a war bonnet while communicating with Plains Native American people and understanding the significance and dressing up as a Sexy Injun on Halloween, you know?

by that logic, nobody but married women should wear a bindi, only the japanese get kimonos (despite actual japanese having no problem with it), only real maori can have facial tattoos, etc... i'm on the same page as you, but all rules fly out the window for halloween. that's the point, to dress up and have fun. were it an everyday occurence, sure it would be very insensitive, but it's not. just look at kilts. culturally important to scots, they don't mind it when other cultures wear them, because they know it's harmless fun, though they do find it a bit quaint.
@ guizonde: I think I like the way you think.
Warning: Biohazardously Awesome

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Even Then

« Reply #6041 on: September 15, 2015, 12:02:29 pm »
And there's the thing; I'm not saying people can't wear things from other cultures ever, I'm saying they need to ask and communicate and understand what it means instead of just going "oh look that thing is purdy, I'mma wear it".

Do note, at least, that I'm not trying to argue that people shouldn't care about the history behind the clothing

Never said you specifically were, it's that general attitude I'm pissed at.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 12:04:20 pm by Even Then »

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #6042 on: September 15, 2015, 12:07:44 pm »
I may not agree with you on everything, but at least we can discuss things reasonably.

Even Then

« Reply #6043 on: September 15, 2015, 12:09:28 pm »
Ditto. I'm glad that people can be honest in agreement and disagreement on this site and still respect each other. I really feel like I can completely express myself here on a pure and earnest level.

Even Then

« Reply #6044 on: September 15, 2015, 12:34:44 pm »
Yeah, the thing about English is that the "general you" causes so much confusion. Passive voice is different in Finnish.