Author Topic: Daniele Watts plays the race card  (Read 1095 times)

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
Daniele Watts plays the race card
« on: September 15, 2014, 01:46:37 pm »
https://celebrity.yahoo.com/news/police-to--django-unchained--actress-daniele-watts---thank-you-for-bringing-up-the-race-card-154853592.html

New audio has emerged of “Django Unchained” actress Daniele Watts furiously refusing to cooperate with Los Angeles police officers asking for identification while responding to a complaint that two people were involved in “lewd acts” inside a parked silver Mercedes on Sunday.

“You know how many times the cops have been called just because I'm black and he's white?” Watts said in audio obtained by TMZ. “I'm just being really honest, sir.”

“Who brought up a race card? I never said nothing about you being black,” the officer, Sgt. Jim Parker, responds before eventually adding: ”Thank you for bringing up the race card. I never hear that.”

Watts insists she was only “making out” with boyfriend Brian James Lucas, a celebrity chef, but TMZ reports witnesses inside the Directors Guild office building told police they saw the couple having sex in the passenger seat of the vehicle, with the door open.

The patrol officers and sergeant of the LAPD's North Hollywood Division responded to the 11900 block of Ventura Boulevard in Studio City on Sunday. Authorities said the officers “located two individuals that matched the description of the suspects, and they were briefly detained.”

“Upon further investigation it was determined that no crime had been committed. Ms. Watts and her companion were subsequently released,” the authorities said in a statement.

In this case, I really don't think the police officer did anything wrong.  Citizens called in a report of something possibly illegal, he checked it out and asked the people in question, who matched the description, to identify themselves.  Why is that a violation of her rights?  They let her go after they checked her ID.  No abuse seen here.

Besides, the LAPD has made some incredible improvements over the past fifteen years:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/a-change-of-tune-for-lapd-as-community-policing-makes-gains/

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
Re: Daniele Watts plays the race card
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 03:27:40 pm »
Except she was saying the cops have been called because she's black and he's white.

She wasn't calling the cop a racist, she was saying that people are racist and are more likely to call the police on her.  Which is definitely a truth that people are more likely to call the police on black people.

Now, whether that's why it actually happened, I don't know.  I can't blame her or the cop for being oversensitive in this matter, either.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
Re: Daniele Watts plays the race card
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 12:45:45 am »
Know what I'm going to do?  Copy/paste something someone else said on another board I go to.

I'm just going to assume that the answer is less war games training and more hypothetical situation training. A well trained cop would have approached the situation with up front honesty. "We've had a prostitution problem in this area, someone called us to report you guys. I'm pretty sure that it's nonsense but would it be a problem for me to run your IDs? Then I can report back to the precinct that it was a false report and make sure the caller is flagged as unreliable so this doesn't happen again." I bet if presented that way this couple would have likely complied, but if they don't then the proper response is to wish them well and walk away. Because the possibility of busting 1 prostitute is worth far less to our society than the possibility of infringing upon 1 persons constitutional rights.

Ironbite-thank you Wheelimus.