Author Topic: Worst Political Cartoons  (Read 1630164 times)

Offline Chaos Undivided

• Pope
  • Death to the False Emperor!
Re: Worst Political Cartoons
« Reply #6750 on: June 18, 2019, 05:55:26 pm »
Dylan Roof got taken to burger king after he was arrested shooting people...

No, they bought him food FROM a Burger King. And there's an article that explains why:

With the department’s phone ringing nonstop in the background, the young suspect with the bowl-cut hair was locked away in a second-floor conference room with an officer watching over him.

“Organized chaos,” Ledford later called it. “Because there were so many moving parts.”

Including feeding the unexpected arrestee.

“He hadn’t eaten, they said, in a couple of days,” [Pastor Strickland] Maddox said. “They bought him a hamburger. They just sent out for it. I guess one of the police officers went and picked it up.”

Ledford confirmed that this purchase was made.

“He did have something to eat while he was there, and he was secured in cuffs the entire time,” the chief said.
Anti-authoritarian, anti-extremist, anti-bullshit.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #6751 on: June 18, 2019, 06:01:16 pm »
You're arguing semantics, badly btw.

Roof should've been treated like every other brown terrorist, shot dead in the street where he stood.  Instead he was arrested non-violently, fed, and generally treated like a troubled young man instead of an absolute monster.

Ironbite-so there's that.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #6752 on: June 18, 2019, 06:12:37 pm »
Well, I'd say you're not completely wrong. But saying they "have the blessing of a federal US institutions [sic]" is a massive stretch. Just because they're not specifically called terrorists or charged with terrorism doesn't mean the FBI approves of them. And you may not be aware of the difficulties the FBI faces when it comes to using the label domestic terrorism.

Or it could be their unwillingness.

Again, fuckin' Animal Liberation Front. Now ALF absolutely tries to terrorise but it hasn't killed anybody. The rule in America seems to be, terrorise a bunch of researchers involved in animal testing with acts of arson and industrial sabotage because you hate scientists who test bunny rabbits and chimps and you're legally a terrorist. Terrorise some black people by taking their lives because you hate black people and you're a "domestic extremist" at best, though possibly just suffering from "mental health issues." And no president has ever called anyone from ALF "very fine people."

Offline Chaos Undivided

• Pope
« Reply #6753 on: June 18, 2019, 07:02:30 pm »
You're arguing semantics, badly btw.

Roof should've been treated like every other brown terrorist, shot dead in the street where he stood.  Instead he was arrested non-violently, fed, and generally treated like a troubled young man instead of an absolute monster.

Ironbite-so there's that.

NGL, there's a part of me that would've loved to see Roof gunned down like the rabid animal he is. But I realize that even monsters like him deserve due process. You certainly can't say he got off easy, since he's got nine life sentences. And I can point you to plenty of "brown terrorists" who were taken alive. El Sayyid Nosair. Omar Abdel-Rahman. Nidal Hassan. Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab.

Well, I'd say you're not completely wrong. But saying they "have the blessing of a federal US institutions [sic]" is a massive stretch. Just because they're not specifically called terrorists or charged with terrorism doesn't mean the FBI approves of them. And you may not be aware of the difficulties the FBI faces when it comes to using the label domestic terrorism.

Or it could be their unwillingness.

Again, fuckin' Animal Liberation Front. Now ALF absolutely tries to terrorise but it hasn't killed anybody. The rule in America seems to be, terrorise a bunch of researchers involved in animal testing with acts of arson and industrial sabotage because you hate scientists who test bunny rabbits and chimps and you're legally a terrorist. Terrorise some black people by taking their lives because you hate black people and you're a "domestic extremist" at best, though possibly just suffering from "mental health issues." And no president has ever called anyone from ALF "very fine people."

Way to oversimplify a complex, thorny issue.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #6754 on: June 18, 2019, 08:02:00 pm »
Another common right wing talking point right there.

"Its too complicated to just simplify down!" No its not. Right wing extremists are treated with kiddy gloves despite committing the vast majority of the terrorism.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
« Reply #6755 on: June 18, 2019, 08:43:29 pm »
Careful, suggesting institutional bias exists to a rabid centrist can cause epic tantrums, especially if there's evidence for such.

Offline Chaos Undivided

• Pope
« Reply #6756 on: June 18, 2019, 09:10:00 pm »
Careful, suggesting institutional bias exists to a rabid centrist can cause epic tantrums, especially if there's evidence for such.

I'm not saying institutional bias doesn't exist, just that you're exaggerating it and it's not the only factor.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #6757 on: June 18, 2019, 09:19:43 pm »
"You're exaggerating it!" When the right wing can't dismiss the very existence of some people being treated better than others, they downplay it as much as they can.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
« Reply #6758 on: June 18, 2019, 10:47:07 pm »

I'm not saying institutional bias doesn't exist, just that you're exaggerating it and it's not the only factor.
Animal liberationists, greenies and other assorted Quinoa and mung bean flavored hippies vandalize to terrorize, FBI be like "yeah, totes terrorism."

Klansmen, boot boys, proud boys, Nazis, dolt right and anti abortion nuts assault, bomb, shoot and kill to terrorize. FBI, "hmm, we're not sure."

Bitch, please!

Offline Skybison

• The Beast
« Reply #6759 on: June 18, 2019, 10:52:07 pm »
I read the politifact thing and I don't "very fine people on both sides" is all that badly out of context or that politifact was claiming it was in the first place.  Trump said that he was taken out of context, so Politifact said "Okay here's the context judge for yourself."  And most of what he says is equivocating bullshit designed to downplay what the Charlottesville rally was about.

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #6760 on: June 18, 2019, 11:01:23 pm »
I read the politifact thing and I don't "very fine people on both sides" is all that badly out of context or that politifact was claiming it was in the first place.  Trump said that he was taken out of context, so Politifact said "Okay here's the context judge for yourself."  And most of what he says is equivocating bullshit designed to downplay what the Charlottesville rally was about.

You mean Chaos didn’t read his own link?

Well, I’ve never seen that before.
Does anyone take Donald Trump seriously, anymore?

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
« Reply #6761 on: June 18, 2019, 11:05:58 pm »

So you are saying he either didn't read or understand his own link, probably just uncritically repeating an alt-right commentary he took it from? How uncharacteristic of him.

Ninja'd by Queen but whatevs.

Offline Chaos Undivided

• Pope
« Reply #6762 on: June 18, 2019, 11:28:45 pm »

Well, if you read the speech, you'll know that he also said this:

And you had people, and I'm not talking about the neo-Nazis and the white nationalists, because they should be condemned totally. But you had many people in that group other than neo-Nazis and white nationalists. OK?

Much as I love shitting on Trump, I love the truth more. And the truth is that he wasn't calling white supremacists "very fine people".

Now I'm just gonna watch as you move the goalposts.

Offline Skybison

• The Beast
« Reply #6763 on: June 18, 2019, 11:44:30 pm »
Exactly.  Trump's statement in context was equivocating bullshit.  The rally was lead by Richard Spencer specifically to promote the alt-right and Nazism.  If there was anyone important at the rally who wasn't part of that please tell me who.  "Very Fine People" was part of a larger theme of Trump dancing around the issue and playing both sideism.

And yeah Chaos, I don't think you actually read the link, because you said that politifact said trump was taken out of context when the link you provide does not make that claim, it just provides the full transcript of what he said without making a statement over if his "Very fine people" quote was in context or not.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 11:55:45 pm by Skybison »

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
« Reply #6764 on: June 18, 2019, 11:45:02 pm »
Herr Drumpf in 1938 regarding Kristallnacht:

And you had people, and I'm not talking about the Nazis and the white nationalists, because they should be condemned totally. But you had many people in that group other than Nazis and white nationalists. OK?