Author Topic: Not-Good Things People Say on the Internet  (Read 273219 times)

pyro

Re: Not-Good Things People Say on the Internet
« Reply #195 on: February 27, 2016, 06:11:57 pm »
How is eating food cultural appropriation? If I go to China and eat food with a Chinese family am I appropriating their culture cause I decided to be a diner guest? I swear sometimes the cultural appropriation crowed don't understand how shit works.

That's not what cultural appropriation is. Cultural appropriation is going home afterwards and cooking it yourself.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #196 on: February 27, 2016, 06:35:12 pm »
How is eating food cultural appropriation? If I go to China and eat food with a Chinese family am I appropriating their culture cause I decided to be a diner guest? I swear sometimes the cultural appropriation crowed don't understand how shit works.

That's not what cultural appropriation is. Cultural appropriation is going home afterwards and cooking it yourself.
So if you're like me that leaves chilli con carne, pasta, stir fried noodles, pizza and rice off the menu.

Also potatoes and tomatoes as they're originally South American.

So that leaves...bread, I guess? Is multigrain ok?

Offline solar.

• God
  • Bepis
« Reply #197 on: February 27, 2016, 07:26:49 pm »
I can think of exactly ONE example of cultural appropriation being a valid concern: People who aren't Native Americans wearing Native American war bonnets.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that is the ONE instance where the culture people would be "appropriating" from would actually have a legit problem with it.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #198 on: February 27, 2016, 08:24:06 pm »
I can think of exactly ONE example of cultural appropriation being a valid concern: People who aren't Native Americans wearing Native American war bonnets.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that is the ONE instance where the culture people would be "appropriating" from would actually have a legit problem with it.
Even that, I wouldn't take seriously. At the end of the day, it's just a fucking hat. Just because one group thinks it's sacred does not mean everyone else is obligated to treat it as such.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
« Reply #199 on: February 27, 2016, 09:40:47 pm »

Even that, I wouldn't take seriously. At the end of the day, it's just a fucking hat. Just because one group thinks it's sacred does not mean everyone else is obligated to treat it as such.
I think it's more the memories of genocide and how that was made light of in cowboys and indians films filled with extras wearing said hats than the magic powers hats per se that rustles peoples jimmies, and that is a more legit thing to get steamed up about.

Offline Delirium

• Bishop
  • "i choose my own way to burn." - sophie scholl

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #201 on: February 27, 2016, 11:10:52 pm »

Some of these statements aren't so bad in and of themselves.  However, implying that black people on Tumblr are some kind of hive mind is unfortunate, to say the least.
Eh, I couldn't give a rats arse who invented dreadlocks but the BLM movement seems to be definitely on to something about the tendency of US police officers to disproportionately shoot black people.

Also, whatever else that individual said they pre judge black kids to be stupid as a given so it renders the rest of their screed moot.
[/quote]

Um, does the link go to what you intend it to go to? Because if so, the link seems misplaced. Quoting the wrong text and all that.
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
« Reply #202 on: February 27, 2016, 11:50:19 pm »

Some of these statements aren't so bad in and of themselves.  However, implying that black people on Tumblr are some kind of hive mind is unfortunate, to say the least.
Eh, I couldn't give a rats arse who invented dreadlocks but the BLM movement seems to be definitely on to something about the tendency of US police officers to disproportionately shoot black people.

Also, whatever else that individual said they pre judge black kids to be stupid as a given so it renders the rest of their screed moot.
[/quote]

Um, does the link go to what you intend it to go to? Because if so, the link seems misplaced. Quoting the wrong text and all that.
[/quote]Holy balls, wrong link.

Well that was a train wreck, here's the link that isn't about ancient dreadlocks.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 11:52:07 pm by Tolpuddle Martyr »

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #203 on: February 28, 2016, 12:33:49 am »

I quick search found several people complaining about cultural appropriation and food. (I think we had a few of these either in here or worst of SJ thread)

http://everydayfeminism.com/2015/11/foodie-without-appropriation/

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2015/12/the-food-fight-at-oberlin-college/421401/

https://spoonuniversity.com/news/why-cultural-appropriation-of-food-is-offensive/

Similarly I've seen Sami people complain about cultural appropriation (well, they rarely use that exact term but the make the same point) when people use bits of their clothing to advertise something. Like a university in Helsinki making up an ad where a student wore something that looked a bit like the traditional Sami costumes but also had weird makeup around the eyes and reindeer horns stuck to her head. And another time when a Finnish contestant in a beauty contest abroad wore a Sami costume which had been bought from a masquerade store. They are very strict about who gets to call themselves Sami and are annoyed that when Finns like to appear more "ethnic" or something they take bits of the Sami culture without really understanding it or bothering to study it. It really is unfair when someone just looks at an actual culture as a piece of prop to be used for fun.

...Soo I actually do think that this particular complaint and the similar ones have a good point.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Even Then

« Reply #204 on: February 28, 2016, 01:06:48 am »

I quick search found several people complaining about cultural appropriation and food. (I think we had a few of these either in here or worst of SJ thread)

I honestly hate the attitude of "oh, if it's not causing a literal apocalypse then it's not a problem whatsoever". If I shit on someone's front porch, then yeah, I'm not stabbing them in the eye with a knife, but I've still shat on their porch.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #205 on: February 28, 2016, 01:15:37 am »
ET, eating westernized Chinese food isn't gonna kill anyone.  Crackers eating non-cracker food isn't a problem.  We all need food, we all eat food.  Getting pissy because Blair Whitebread made some sushi with lunchmeat is like complaining that a fly flew on your perfectly manicured lawn, causing a blade of grass to droop a single micron, thereby fundamentally altering the balance of the entire continent.  Its a ludicrous overreaction to a complete non-issue.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #206 on: February 28, 2016, 01:38:18 am »
I honestly hate the attitude of "oh, if it's not causing a literal apocalypse then it's not a problem whatsoever". If I shit on someone's front porch, then yeah, I'm not stabbing them in the eye with a knife, but I've still shat on their porch.
So, do you mean to imply that white people eating food from non-white cultures is in fact a bad thing, or are you just annoyed by reasoning rather than the conclusion?

Even Then

« Reply #207 on: February 28, 2016, 02:36:26 am »
The latter.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #208 on: February 28, 2016, 02:39:17 am »
Ah, cool beans.

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #209 on: February 28, 2016, 02:41:12 am »

So I could give a shit and restrict myself to northern European cuisine only, or I could not give a shit and still put Hatch green chile on everything.

Yeah, something tells me the noble struggle against cultural appropriation is losing this fight.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.