Author Topic: Video Game Thread 2.0  (Read 1516832 times)

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
Re: Video Game Thread 2.0
« Reply #4215 on: February 07, 2014, 04:53:00 am »
Infiltrators are fun.  Stand right in front of enemies and cloak, then watch them stop firing and completely ignore you.  Though it doesn't work on more-powerful opponents. 
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #4216 on: February 09, 2014, 06:08:10 pm »
Got the breaking point mod for arma 3. Which is basically the Arma 3 version of Day z. The map is so friggin huge. I kinda dont really see the point in it because theres not going to be many interactions between players
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #4217 on: February 10, 2014, 03:10:00 am »
My computer is now unable to run any modern (less than 10 years old) game.

I tried to play Fallout New Vegas but after 5 minutes of gameplay the computer is running too hot and I have to stop. Same thing happens with Half-Life 2 (which may I remind you is already 10 years old.) And it used to be able to run those games without a problem.

I can surf the web and watch videos but for some reason I can't play games on it anymore. Untill I can afford a new computer I'll have to play on my wife's computer (when she can borrow it.)
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #4218 on: February 10, 2014, 03:45:42 am »
My computer is now unable to run any modern (less than 10 years old) game.

I tried to play Fallout New Vegas but after 5 minutes of gameplay the computer is running too hot and I have to stop. Same thing happens with Half-Life 2 (which may I remind you is already 10 years old.) And it used to be able to run those games without a problem.

I can surf the web and watch videos but for some reason I can't play games on it anymore. Untill I can afford a new computer I'll have to play on my wife's computer (when she can borrow it.)

Sounds like a real serious problem. What happens on Youtube if you try to watch videos in HD?

First thing I'd do is open it up and clean it out. A sudden case of overheating could be caused by a lot of dust.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #4219 on: February 10, 2014, 07:25:59 am »
Sounds like a real serious problem. What happens on Youtube if you try to watch videos in HD?

First thing I'd do is open it up and clean it out. A sudden case of overheating could be caused by a lot of dust.

That's another funny thing. I can watch youtube just fine. DVD's on the other hand won't work anymore... I think the old laptop is just about ready to die.

I did try cleaning it and blowing it with compressed air and even have an external cooldown unit but that does not seem to help. I guess opening it up is the next thing to try since the warranty is out aready anyway.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #4220 on: February 10, 2014, 09:35:24 am »
Anyone having a hard time getting on civ V

Offline Alehksunos

• Transvestite Boo-kin
  • The Beast
  • Gay Witch for Abortion
« Reply #4221 on: February 14, 2014, 03:15:15 am »
Playing the first games of The Sims series for the first time since... 2005. I can't believe it was still possible to run this game on a 64-bit Windows 7.

I remember why I preferred designing houses in those games, because I couldn't get into running the lives of the Sims themselves. And then there is having your Sim (and just one Sim) socialize with others, where 1. he is at work and neighbors wanting to meet a ringing an empty home and 2. one other method is calling neighbors and some are so pissed off at other things and wish not to talk to anyone. But since this is a straight-forward, approachable game (one of the reasons the majority of its audience are young females, usually alienated by excessively masculine computer games), nothing else is a problem for me.

What else can I say? I love these games, even if those damn Sims make you want to pull your hair out by the obliviousness of their own well-being. Aren't we all?

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #4222 on: February 14, 2014, 03:40:52 am »
So I've managed to play some games on my wife's computer and I have to admit that I really LOVE the way combat works in Arkham city. It is also fun that the computer doesn't overheat in 5 minutes.

AND I didn't know that I have Harley's revenge DLC on my game, that was a suprise and I'm playing it as soon as I've replayed the main campaign once again.

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #4223 on: February 14, 2014, 05:08:21 am »
Dead Island is a free download on XBox Live this month.  While it's not perfect, it's enjoyable enough, especially when it comes to truck at high speeds vs. zombie(s).
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #4224 on: February 14, 2014, 05:34:55 am »
Playing the first games of The Sims series for the first time since... 2005. I can't believe it was still possible to run this game on a 64-bit Windows 7.

I remember why I preferred designing houses in those games, because I couldn't get into running the lives of the Sims themselves.

I'm the same way, I spend far more time building houses than doing anything with the sims themselves.  I'd be perfectly happy with a version of the Sims that was just house building.

Interestingly, the first Sim game was originally conceived as a kind of architectural game where you just designed and created houses which sims would then rate.  The game being about controling the Sims every day life wasn't part of the original idea.

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #4225 on: February 14, 2014, 06:31:09 am »
Yo homeboys, You can get the classic Dungeon Keeper on GOG.com free for the next 40+ hours, it's a sweet deal, the original is fuckin' sweet, it's a great strategy game.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #4226 on: February 14, 2014, 07:15:11 am »
Yo homeboys, You can get the classic Dungeon Keeper on GOG.com free for the next 40+ hours, it's a sweet deal, the original is fuckin' sweet, it's a great strategy game.
Oh fuck yeah, this is why GOG is by far my favourite games store. Well, that and their games, especially their older titles, are just flat out better than anything Steam has to offer.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #4227 on: February 14, 2014, 09:53:47 am »
Oh fuck yeah, this is why GOG is by far my favourite games store. Well, that and their games, especially their older titles, are just flat out better than anything Steam has to offer.

a) This deal is probably because of the trainwreck that the phone version of Dungeon keeper became. Read about it. It is the example of everything that is wrong with F2P games and none of the good.

b) I tried to get it from GOG but due to the huge amount of people who want the game I'm now on some waiting list for it. I did buy DK2.

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #4228 on: February 14, 2014, 11:13:15 am »

a) This deal is probably because of the trainwreck that the phone version of Dungeon keeper became. Read about it. It is the example of everything that is wrong with F2P games and none of the good.

b) I tried to get it from GOG but due to the huge amount of people who want the game I'm now on some waiting list for it. I did buy DK2.

So was I but I have my copy now, you should get yours sooner or later.

Can't believe I never played Dungeon Keeper before, I was a huge fan of Bullfrog back in the day but somehow this game never ended up on my radar.  Looking foward to finding out what I missed out on.

Edit: Just read this on Wikipedia about the moible game: "In order to give the game less than five stars through this prompt, the player must agree to give the game a full five-star rating and then give it a lower one once they reach the review page.[15] Critics have noted that the prompt's claim that "5-Star ratings from you help us provide free updates!" suggests that the games creators will stop providing new content if players don't give the game sufficiently high ratings."

What the fuck, EA?  Are you on crack or something?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 11:16:39 am by Katsuro »

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #4229 on: February 14, 2014, 12:13:33 pm »
What the fuck, EA?  Are you on crack or something?

I still haven't beaten Dead Space 3 because of the difficulty in bringing myself to care after the umpteenth "The objective is on the other side of the complex! After that, you need to backtrack to flip a switch with your kinesis module, then run back and turn it back on." I wonder if any EA executives suggested making the player pay a microtransaction to skip the backtracking.

Also, I've barely been able to make any weapons because of the high resource requirements for manufacturing parts. Considering that one of the "features" is the ability to pay microtransactions to buy resources, I can't help but think that it's intentional. And I know that I'm not missing out on boatloads of bountiful caches, because I search out every nook and cranny and complete every side mission given to me. And yet I still only get to make a few weapons on any one playthrough or modify a few.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.