Author Topic: Video Game Thread 2.0  (Read 1515816 times)

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
Re: Video Game Thread 2.0
« Reply #5715 on: April 19, 2015, 04:59:33 am »
You'll still be waiting for an install with a physical copy, though it is a hell of a lot faster than downloading.
Who needs a signature?

Offline IanC

• Pope
« Reply #5716 on: April 19, 2015, 11:52:47 am »
You'll still be waiting for an install with a physical copy, though it is a hell of a lot faster than downloading.

Xbox One installs take a lot longer than PS4 installs for some reason. I think MS cheaped out and used a slower Blu-ray drive.

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #5717 on: April 19, 2015, 03:27:15 pm »
So apparently Final Fantasy XIV is the one MMORPG I'm actually really enjoying for some reason. which is interesting because the last Final Fantasy game I played (VII) was quite irritating to play. maybe the later games in the series ain't so bad.

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #5718 on: April 19, 2015, 03:35:33 pm »

Usually I've had no problem downloading the free games, no matter how large they are.  The last two (Bioshock Infinite last month) took me the longest.

Ugh, I hate AC BF's autosave.  Sometime I just want to play the game for a half hour.  Let me play the game and save when I want to, instead of having to wait for the little icon.  It really sucks if I miss the icon and have to keep playing so I don't miss something.
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
« Reply #5719 on: April 19, 2015, 05:52:44 pm »

Xbox One installs take a lot longer than PS4 installs for some reason. I think MS cheaped out and used a slower Blu-ray drive.

Yeah, I'd believe that. Still faster than downloading, though.
Who needs a signature?

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #5720 on: April 19, 2015, 07:22:29 pm »
Xbox Live on the 360 has been fucked for a while now, with all kinds of connection problems.
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Art Vandelay

« Reply #5721 on: April 22, 2015, 05:44:19 am »
You know, I've been playing GTA III ever since release, yet I'm only discovering now how much I hate Shoreside Vale. It's not so bad if you're just doing the story missions, but for a completionist run, its layout is the worst fucking thing ever.

Offline Second Coming of Madman

• Some of Internet Jesus
  • The Beast
  • Cisscum Internationale Society
« Reply #5722 on: April 22, 2015, 05:12:10 pm »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_-jFo69YtU" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_-jFo69YtU</a>
@KanzlerImaginos - Feel free to drop me a line.

Toddlers get too much exercise, they wouldn't make good veal.

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #5723 on: April 23, 2015, 09:05:11 pm »
People are boycotting Killing Floor 2 because the EULA says you cant harass others on their servers
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Offline Mechtaur

• The Beast
  • Ladies, contain your orgasms.
« Reply #5724 on: April 24, 2015, 11:13:09 pm »
People are boycotting Killing Floor 2 because the EULA says you cant harass others on their servers

From my experience with the first game, sounds about right.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #5725 on: April 25, 2015, 12:30:19 pm »
Valve has recently introduced "paid mods" for the Steam Workshop. 

http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/aboutpaidcontent/

Honestly, I think this is a very bad idea.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 12:36:08 pm by Ultimate Paragon »

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #5726 on: April 25, 2015, 12:54:07 pm »
Its a more direct version of having ads on your project site or putting your links behind AdFly.  Whether or not its a good thing is up to your interpretation, but I wouldn't mind paying a little for additional content if its actually worth the money.  I mean, its basically DLC that isn't made by the developer.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #5727 on: April 25, 2015, 01:09:52 pm »
Its a more direct version of having ads on your project site or putting your links behind AdFly.  Whether or not its a good thing is up to your interpretation, but I wouldn't mind paying a little for additional content if its actually worth the money.  I mean, its basically DLC that isn't made by the developer.

>implying anyone will actually buy mods
>implying the percent given is actually enough to support modders
>implying modders don't have Patreons or something you could donate to
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 04:21:56 pm by Ultimate Paragon »

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
« Reply #5728 on: April 25, 2015, 03:05:40 pm »
The idea of people selling mods is perfectly fine to me. As long as it's endorsed by the developer/publisher, I have no problem with people asking for money for the mods they put a lot of work into. The problem is, within a day, the mod store already had Greenlight abuse due to the holes in the system.
Who needs a signature?

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #5729 on: April 25, 2015, 03:28:53 pm »

>implying anyone will actually buy mods
>implying the percent given is actually enough to support modders
>implying modders don't have Patreons or something you could donate too

Yeah, that and the possibility for the same kind of sketchy bullshit you see on Early Access games from time to time.

For one, I don't like the idea if this is used on games still in development, were updates can render past versions of a mod non functional. If the mod creator doesn't update the mod to keep it usable, the you just got screwed out of however much money. Think of all the mods for minecraft that the creators either abandoned or don't have time to work on. And these is even hugely popular mods like redpower and Xycraft. Last I checked, people are still working on building a replacement for Redpower.

It would be one thing if the prices are pretty cheap, but if the price get like the shit some companies pull on Xbox Live, that will be a huge problem.

Now for a sort of related rant: I payed $20 for the first Destiny DLC, and it had one short mission that was interesting and involved going somewhere I hadn't ran through a hundred times before while grinding. I never even got to play the biggest draw of the DLC, the raid, because you all but require a team of six max level players who have mics and can work together well. On top of that, I heard it wasn't nearly as fun as the first raid, which incorporated puzzles, mazes of tunnels, and platforming that isn't seen anywhere else. I managed to get enough people together once to go through it to the final boss but couldn't finish because people had to quit.

It was pretty fun and challenging, so it's a shame most people never get a chance to see it and that it makes up a small portion of the game. The rest of Destiny was just playing through a hard to follow story, grinding through those story missions over and over, or playing PVP match that got boring real fast. The two PVP maps that were large and featured vehicles(which I loved) being so disliked by most players that they rarely showed up.

History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov