Author Topic: Miss Universe allows trans contestants  (Read 12717 times)

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
Re: Miss Universe allows trans contestants
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2012, 01:04:28 pm »
^ At least there's no children involved in this beauty pageant.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Diamandahagan

• Apprentice
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2012, 01:25:55 pm »
http://www.cnn.com/2012/04/10/showbiz/miss-universe-transgender/index.html?eref=rss_topstories&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+rss%2Fcnn_topstories+%28RSS%3A+Top+Stories%29

The Miss Universe organization announced Tuesday it is ending its ban on transgender contestants after coming under scrutiny recently when a Canadian competitor was told she would be disqualified because she was born male.
Miss Universe officials insist the change is in spite of, not because of, legal threats from women's rights lawyer Gloria Allred made on behalf of contestant Jenna Talackova.

To be perfectly honest, I find the idea of surgically changing your gender to be really, really weird. Most of the people I've seen who've done this still look like they're part of their birth gender, making it seem like a rather ineffective procedure. With that said, I don't really care if people do it (why the hell should I?) and Jenna is one of the exceptions to the rule (picture in the link). If this controversy had never come up, I probably would not have known that she was once a guy. So, congrats to her for making it this far, sticking to her guns, and taking another step for LGBT rights and acceptance.

maybe you think most trans pople look 'really really weird' because the trans people who arent really fucking physically unlucky dont get noticed as trans by you. 

Offline Dantes Virgil

• Bishop
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2012, 01:27:46 pm »
Her3tik didn't say anything about thinking they looked weird -- just that the idea of surgery was weird.

Offline Thejebusfire

• Holy Smoke! A Proper Southern Lady!
  • The Beast
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2012, 01:43:03 pm »
Now can we get a plus sized woman in one of these pagents?

Pwease...?

Offline Radiation

• ILLUMINATI...ASSEMBLE!
  • The Beast
  • Just Radiation, I am so uncreative
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2012, 02:37:52 pm »
Now can we get a plus sized woman in one of these pagents?

Pwease...?

Seconding that...I would participate in that.
"Radiation, were beauty measured by the soul instead of the body, you would be legendary on the status of Helen of Troy. Be strong." -The Sandman

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2012, 03:20:36 pm »
http://www.cnn.com/2012/04/10/showbiz/miss-universe-transgender/index.html?eref=rss_topstories&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+rss%2Fcnn_topstories+%28RSS%3A+Top+Stories%29

The Miss Universe organization announced Tuesday it is ending its ban on transgender contestants after coming under scrutiny recently when a Canadian competitor was told she would be disqualified because she was born male.
Miss Universe officials insist the change is in spite of, not because of, legal threats from women's rights lawyer Gloria Allred made on behalf of contestant Jenna Talackova.

To be perfectly honest, I find the idea of surgically changing your gender to be really, really weird. Most of the people I've seen who've done this still look like they're part of their birth gender, making it seem like a rather ineffective procedure. With that said, I don't really care if people do it (why the hell should I?) and Jenna is one of the exceptions to the rule (picture in the link). If this controversy had never come up, I probably would not have known that she was once a guy. So, congrats to her for making it this far, sticking to her guns, and taking another step for LGBT rights and acceptance.

maybe you think most trans pople look 'really really weird' because the trans people who arent really fucking physically unlucky dont get noticed as trans by you. 

...I read that in your voice.

Ironbite-STOP DOING THAT!

Offline Cataclysm

• The Beast
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2012, 04:18:16 pm »
Jenna was going through hormone treatment when she was 14 sothat explains why she doesn't have much masculine features.

But it's not really what other people think of you and more of how you feel yourself.
I'd be more sympathetic if people here didn't act like they knew what they were saying when they were saying something very much wrong.

Commenter Brendan Rizzo is an American (still living there) who really, really hates America. He used to make posts defending his country from anti-American attacks but got fed up with it all.

Offline m52nickerson

• Polish Viking
  • The Beast
  • Winning by flying omoplata!
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2012, 10:12:02 pm »
Good for her, and good for Miss Universe.
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. ~Macbeth

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2012, 03:58:28 am »
One thing to note though. If she has only had sexual reassignment surgery she wont have in any way done something that would make her have any kind of advantage. It would be similar to denying someone from entering the pageant because they had ovarian cancer which resulted in them being surgically removed. I can understand supporting rules that require contestants to not have undergone cosmetic surgery. However, Sexual reassignment surgery is most definitely not cosmetic surgery despite what medical insurance companies say.

Offline Her3tiK

• Suffers in Sanity
  • The Beast
  • Learn to Swim
    • HeretiK Productions
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2012, 11:19:27 am »
One thing to note though. If she has only had sexual reassignment surgery she wont have in any way done something that would make her have any kind of advantage. It would be similar to denying someone from entering the pageant because they had ovarian cancer which resulted in them being surgically removed. I can understand supporting rules that require contestants to not have undergone cosmetic surgery. However, Sexual reassignment surgery is most definitely not cosmetic surgery despite what medical insurance companies say.
Do you really think the people who don't want her in the contest know the difference between the two?
Her3tik, you have groupies.
Ego: +5

There are a number of ways, though my favourite is simply to take them by surprise. They're just walking down the street, minding their own business when suddenly, WHACK! Penis to the face.

Offline Diamandahagan

• Apprentice
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2012, 11:39:32 am »
Do you really think the people who don't want her in the contest know the difference between the two?

given your initial post im not convinced YOU know the difference.

Offline MrsYoungie

• Neonate
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2012, 12:53:06 pm »
Anyone objecting to trans-gender surgery being used to win a beauty pagent needs to look at all the other contestants and figure out just what about their looks they were born with!  Fake faces, fake boobs, fake butts.  So what's the big deal.
Also - just to prove I have a childish sense of humour - her name is pronounced like "Genital I covet"  really?   That's what I kept hearing.
Anyway - hooray for my fellow Canadian.  Doing what you want to do. Good on you!

Actually, beauty pageants ban contestants who have had plastic surgery. A lot of the comments are actually people saying that because she's had surgery to alter her appearance, she has an unfair advantage.
Maybe some do but according to this http://abcnews.go.com/Primetime/story?id=132145&page=1  Miss Universe does not.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2012, 01:06:06 pm »

given your initial post im not convinced YOU know the difference.

Given YOUR initial post, I'm not convinced that you're reading his posts fairly.  Especially since you were corrected on what he said and are still acting like he said what you said he said.

Back off.  Calm down.  Take a deep breath.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Offline Diamandahagan

• Apprentice
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2012, 01:50:44 pm »
no, i read all their posts.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2012, 02:11:51 pm »
no, i read all their posts.

Then did you read this part?

Her3tik didn't say anything about thinking they looked weird -- just that the idea of surgery was weird.

Because seriously, you're going on attack dog mode over someone who wasn't saying what you thought they said.