Author Topic: Cruseship sinking  (Read 8616 times)

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
Re: Cruseship sinking
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2012, 06:15:59 pm »
Can we have a link for those of us who have only just heard about this?

Here you go, Zach:  http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/italy/9022170/Costa-Concordia-captain-says-he-tripped-and-fell-into-lifeboat.html

There's plenty of links on Fark.  Just search 'cruise ship' and pretty much everything from the 18th on is about it.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline TenfoldMaquette

• Pope
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2012, 06:19:20 pm »
http://news.sky.com/home/world-news/article/16153058

The sinking of the Costa Concordia.

Apparently the captain not only showboated the cruise ship and caused the crash through abject negligence, but he was one of the first to flee the ship and refused to return to do his duty (coordinate rescue efforts, direct crew, etc) even when commanded to do so by the local coastguard. The crew essentially did nothing to help the passengers get off the boat safely, and waited until the last damned gunshot to even attempt to use the lifeboats.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2012, 06:39:22 pm »
Ah, thanks guys.

I really should find a news site, though.  Been putting it off :/
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2012, 06:42:01 pm »
Ah, thanks guys.

Fark, while snarky about it, is really good.  That's really about it for me in terms of a news site.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline starseeker

• God
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2012, 08:03:59 pm »
BBC news section with half a dozen articles on the various bits
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-16646686
Current fatality count is 11 dead, 24 still missing, out of 4000 odd passengers.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2012, 04:22:56 am »
What the hell happened?

The captain and most of the crew abandoned ship, leaving the passengers to fend for themselves and try and get to the lifeboats.  Only a few of them actually stayed behind to do their duty.  The cruise company is basically bitching at the passengers with "how dare you complain that we left you to die!"

Damn that's fucked up. I thought naval tradition was that the captain sank with the ship? That is that the captain and crew stay aboard in order to help others out.

Nah, it's that the captain's the last one to leave. That said, he did indeed fuck up royally, both in fleeing before everyone else and sinking the ship in the first place.

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2012, 11:58:04 am »
What the hell happened?

The captain and most of the crew abandoned ship, leaving the passengers to fend for themselves and try and get to the lifeboats.  Only a few of them actually stayed behind to do their duty.  The cruise company is basically bitching at the passengers with "how dare you complain that we left you to die!"

Oh, I didn't realize THAT part.  Asshole coward isn't worth the air he's breathing.
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2012, 01:05:23 pm »
What the hell happened?

Oh, I didn't realize THAT part.  Asshole coward isn't worth the air he's breathing.
Neither does the Italian government he's being charged with manslaughter

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2012, 01:22:32 pm »
Two problems made the situation worse:

1) The captain abandoning the ship meant that there was no actual leadership for evacuating the ship and the staff that remained didn't know what to do in the situation.

2) Apparently most of the ship's crew was "hotel staff" meaning that they were cooks, waiters, entertainers and other such workers and the actual sailors were a minority. (Although... You would think that some sort of emergency evacuation training would be required for the staff of a ship, even hotel staff has to know how to clear the building.)
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Mantorok

• Apprentice
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2012, 08:08:06 am »
http://www.aljazeera.com/

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2012, 08:20:43 am »
My favorite part was where the captain said he 'tripped and fell into a lifeboat then floated away' then apparently didn't hear the coast guard asking him to turn around to help.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Star Cluster

• Pope
  • I need my space.
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2012, 08:40:46 am »
My favorite part was where the captain said he 'tripped and fell into a lifeboat then floated away' then apparently didn't hear the coast guard asking him to turn around to help.

So I suppose the recordings of the Italian Coast Guard ordering him back to the ship and him answering with "But it's daaaaark"  were just made up to make him look bad.
The heavens convince me there is no god.

Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.--Steven Weinberg

Religion can never reform mankind because religion is slavery--Robert G. Ingersoll

I don't know why people compare George Carlin to God. He's great and all, but he's no George Carlin.-Anon.

Offline starseeker

• God
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2012, 08:44:51 am »

So I suppose the recordings of the Italian Coast Guard ordering him back to the ship and him answering with "But it's daaaaark"  were just made up to make him look bad.

One of the other interviews with one of the Coast Guard rescuers, had them saying they only found 1 officer, a very junior one, who could help with the evacuation.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2012, 09:02:38 am »
If it's any consolation he's getting criminal ppunishment

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2012, 09:04:10 am »

You bet!

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!