Author Topic: The Trial of George Zimmerman  (Read 66155 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Re: The Trial of George Zimmerman
« Reply #405 on: July 21, 2013, 12:27:38 am »
Obama's speech was awesome.

The right wing reaction is harsh but unsurprising.

Anyways, I had a thought. Assuming Trayvon actually attacked Zimmerman, could Stand Your Ground apply for his case?
Legally, yes, because he thought his life was threatened. In reality? No. He's black.

Legally, no.  If assuming Martin attacked Zimmerman, Martin would not have been covered as he would have been in the process of committing a felony.  That is unless you could show that Zimmerman threatened Martin to the point Martin feared for his life.
No, unless you could show that Martin felt his life was threatened, whether that threat was real or not.

Yes, you are correct.  Zimmerman would have have had to actually threatened Martin.  There was just no way for the state to show Martin feared for his life. 

Why did Zimmerman have to threaten Martin? I thought that (this court at least) said that Stand your ground is in effect if the defender BELIEVES that their life is in danger?

Zimmerman was released because the jury believed that HE believed that Martin might have killed him. Martin was stalked and cornered by an armed thug, now explain to me why Martin had to have proof that his life was in danger?

(I hate to say, is it because he was black? But the only other differences are that he was unarmed and that he is now dead.)
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #406 on: July 21, 2013, 01:12:57 am »
Trust me if Zimmerman was black then he would have gotten convicted

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
« Reply #407 on: July 21, 2013, 01:14:44 am »

Anyways, I had a thought. Assuming Trayvon actually attacked Zimmerman, could Stand Your Ground apply for his case?
Legally, yes, because he thought his life was threatened. In reality? No. He's black.

Legally, no.  If assuming Martin attacked Zimmerman, Martin would not have been covered as he would have been in the process of committing a felony.  That is unless you could show that Zimmerman threatened Martin to the point Martin feared for his life.
No, unless you could show that Martin felt his life was threatened, whether that threat was real or not.

Yes, you are correct.  Zimmerman would have have had to actually threatened Martin.  There was just no way for the state to show Martin feared for his life. 

Why did Zimmerman have to threaten Martin? I thought that (this court at least) said that Stand your ground is in effect if the defender BELIEVES that their life is in danger?

Zimmerman was released because the jury believed that HE believed that Martin might have killed him. Martin was stalked and cornered by an armed thug, now explain to me why Martin had to have proof that his life was in danger?

(I hate to say, is it because he was black? But the only other differences are that he was unarmed and that he is now dead.)
Exactly my point. All he had to do was believe he was in danger. Therefore, legally, he could have legally killed Zimmerman. However, in reality, he couldn't legally kill Zimmerman, because he's black.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #408 on: July 21, 2013, 01:24:03 am »
Seeing as in the same state two black people with stronger cases then if Trayvon shot Zimmerman were told they couldn't stand their ground pretty much

Offline mythbuster43

• Pope
    • Northwest View
« Reply #409 on: July 21, 2013, 02:59:36 am »
All for the love of god, not this shit.
Was Trayvon at 7-11 Buying Skittles and Fruit Juice to Make a Drug?

It's the Gateway Pundit, so that kind of stupidity is not unexpected. Charles Johnson of Little Green Footballs doesn't call Jim Hoft "the Dumbest Man on the Internet" for nothing.

Offline m52nickerson

• Polish Viking
  • The Beast
  • Winning by flying omoplata!
« Reply #410 on: July 21, 2013, 12:50:35 pm »

Sorry, I meant to say Zimmerman would not have had to actually threatened Martin.

The state would have had to prove Martin feared for his life because Zimmerman was the one on trial.
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. ~Macbeth

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
« Reply #411 on: July 22, 2013, 07:51:51 pm »
I know this has probably been mentioned since I don't feel like going through all 15 pages that have been posted on here since I last looked at this thread, but I just wanted to say this.

Regardless of Trayvon's actions and whether or not he attacked Zimmerman or to what extent etc., Zimmerman PURPOSELY PUT HIMSELF in that situation.  He went out of his way to follow Trayvon, even though a dispatcher recommended he didn't, and had his weapon ready and already drawn when he went after Trayvon.  Whether or not Trayvon did or didn't attack him or if Zimmerman's life was or wasn't in danger, he was very obviously looking for an excuse to be a vigilante.  If he hadn't gone out of his way and purposely put himself in a situation where he may need to use his gun so he could be the badass hero, none of this would have ever happened.  So yes, Zimmerman is guilty of AT LEAST manslaughter, NO MATTER WHAT Trayvon's actions were.
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
« Reply #412 on: July 23, 2013, 11:17:42 am »
I'm not as angry about this, because I don't think it's beyond reasonable doubt that Zimmerman was defending himself. Maybe after the altercation started, Trayvon quickly got the upper hand, and decided to go a step further. Maybe he was on top, and said something about teaching Zimmerman a lesson. At which point, Zimmerman feared that Trayvon might kill him. For that matter, Trayvon may have actually intended to do so.

I agree that he's probably guilty, but it's far from a sure thing. What is important is that this went to a trial. Remember, the police were originally not going to so much as charge Zimmerman. That's where the controversy really got going. If they had booked him immediately, I don't think the media would have latched on to the same degree.
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

Offline DiscoBerry

• The Beast
    • Has the Hadron Collider Destroyed the Earth Yet?
« Reply #413 on: July 23, 2013, 12:33:03 pm »
The Conspiratards have chimed in, and I have to say I thought this would have happened much sooner.   

Trayvon Martin Never Exsisted
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7NQWqjiSUc" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7NQWqjiSUc</a>

How the fuck do you look up school enrollment of minors?

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
« Reply #414 on: July 23, 2013, 01:03:00 pm »
Considering the fuck-up that gave us the picture of Trayvon Martin's corpse, that's extra stupid.

(click to show/hide)
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline DiscoBerry

• The Beast
    • Has the Hadron Collider Destroyed the Earth Yet?
« Reply #415 on: July 23, 2013, 01:43:17 pm »
Considering the fuck-up that gave us the picture of Trayvon Martin's corpse, that's extra stupid.

(click to show/hide)

I have to say his clothes are not the baggy gansta sag, the right said they were

Offline R. U. Sirius

• He Who Must Be Smooched By Cute FSTDT Forumgirls
  • The Beast
  • Just look at me. Who could distrust this face?
« Reply #416 on: July 23, 2013, 04:20:21 pm »
The Conspiratards have chimed in, and I have to say I thought this would have happened much sooner.   

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7NQWqjiSUc" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7NQWqjiSUc</a>

I can't help thinking this is a poe. Claiming there's nobody...not one single person...named Trayvon Martin in a country of 300 million people? I find that VERY difficult to believe, particularly since the screenshot they showed seemed to have double-digit results.
http://www.gofundme.com/kw5o78
My GoFundMe campaign. Donations are greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/user/RUSirius1/submitted
My Imgur account. Upvotes always appreciated

If you look at it logically, cannibalism has great potential to simultaneously solve our overpopulation and food shortage problems.

Offline KZN02

• The Beast
  • The Master of Tediousness
« Reply #417 on: July 23, 2013, 07:09:50 pm »

I can't help thinking this is a poe. Claiming there's nobody...not one single person...named Trayvon Martin in a country of 300 million people? I find that VERY difficult to believe, particularly since the screenshot they showed seemed to have double-digit results.
Which is ironic, considering the photos of people with the same name used to portray Trayvon in a negative light.
What is, is not; what is not, is.

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #418 on: July 23, 2013, 08:57:30 pm »

(click to show/hide)

I have to say his clothes are not the baggy gansta sag, the right said they were

Seriously, I see rich white kids wearing that exact style of outfit all the time, and no one is accusing them of "looking gangster".

As an aside, I really regret having looked at that picture. His facial expression is just.... christ, I don't even know how to put it into words. I hope like hell his family hasn't seen it.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline Zygarde

• Black trans queen of FQA
  • The Beast
  • Fuck trees, I climb clouds, motherfucker!'
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #419 on: July 24, 2013, 03:30:12 am »

(click to show/hide)

...It's very eerie how similar me and Trayvon are physically it's all so surreal and a bit scary that if the right conditions are met, dead kid could be me.