Author Topic: The Funny/Stupid Pics Thread  (Read 2066400 times)

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
Re: The Funny/Stupid Pics Thread
« Reply #9360 on: July 14, 2014, 06:18:39 pm »

Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Hoplite

• The Beast
« Reply #9361 on: July 14, 2014, 06:56:33 pm »
I like this meme in a hospital setting.

http://www.gomerblog.com/2014/02/ventilator/

« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 08:28:16 pm by Hoplite »
Good luck is nothing but being in shape to act with the universe when the universe says, "Now!" - John Gardner, The Sunlight Dialogues

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #9362 on: July 14, 2014, 09:07:46 pm »

Offline lord gibbon

• That Weird Guy in the Corner
  • The Beast
  • living trivia machine
« Reply #9363 on: July 14, 2014, 09:53:35 pm »
Excuse me, sir, do you have a minute to talk about your lord and savior, Hannibal Barca?

Quote from: Seneca
Religion is regarded by the common man as true, by the wise man as false, and by the powerful man as useful
Yeah, if the pagans are so smart, why did Jesus invade Pagan-land on the back of a dragon and kill them all!

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #9364 on: July 14, 2014, 10:12:45 pm »
Well, if you fuck up with science you could fly into a building.

Just like the 9/11 terrorists fucked up with their interpretation of Islam.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #9365 on: July 15, 2014, 02:11:07 am »

You mean they misinterpreted passages like this?

"I will cast terror into the hearts of those who disbelieve. Therefore strike off their heads and strike off every fingertip of them"

I'm not sure how many ways there are to interpret things like that.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 02:12:50 am by Katsuro »

Art Vandelay

« Reply #9366 on: July 15, 2014, 03:44:14 am »

"I will cast terror into the hearts of those who disbelieve. Therefore strike off their heads and strike off every fingertip of them"

Going to have to agree with Ultington Katsuro (thank you, brainfart) here. This is basically a textbook No True Scotsman. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean the more violent sects of Islam (or any other religion) are a "misinterpretation". They're as much a part of the religion as the peaceniks.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 05:44:26 am by Art Vandelay »

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #9367 on: July 15, 2014, 04:23:19 am »

Going to have to agree with Ultington here. This is basically a textbook No True Scotsman. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean the more violent sects of Islam (or any other religion) are a "misinterpretation". They're as much a part of the religion as the peaceniks.

You know, I once saw some gay people simultaneously bash Muslims (in an Islamaphobic sorta way, as in protesting the "Mosque" that was being built near Ground Zero) while defending Christian by saying that "Every Christian picks and chooses from the Bible but there's a hard definitive way to read the Quran and so the violent stuff has to be obeyed."

How about "Bullshit.  If you're giving Christianity a pass because people can pick and choose, then give Islam a pass too because people pick and choose.  But if you're gonna give Muslims a hard time because they obey a book, then give Christians a hard time for the same reason.  Anything other than that is inconsistent and stupid."

I will point out for chitoryu's sake, saying that terrorist are part of a religion is different from saying that all members of that religion are inclined to be terrorists.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #9368 on: July 15, 2014, 04:42:43 am »

If you're giving Christianity a pass because people can pick and choose, then give Islam a pass too because people pick and choose.  But if you're gonna give Muslims a hard time because they obey a book, then give Christians a hard time for the same reason.  Anything other than that is inconsistent and stupid."

I do.  In fact I probaby give Christianity a harder time than Islam simply because, being born and raised in a Christian country, I know far more about Chrisitanity and have far more dealings with Christians,  but I have equal disdain for all the Abrahamic religions (my ignorance regarding other world religions prevents me from reasonably having strong feeling either way about them, although I suspect many would seem just as silly to me at the very least).

I will point out for chitoryu's sake, saying that terrorist are part of a religion is different from saying that all members of that religion are inclined to be terrorists.

Indeed, but I don't think anyone was saying that nor saying that someone else was saying that.

Edit: That's a rubbish sentence but you know what I mean lol.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 04:47:05 am by Katsuro »

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #9369 on: July 15, 2014, 04:56:47 am »
Indeed, but I don't think anyone was saying that nor saying that someone else was saying that.

Just trying to head off any knee-jerk reactions, and chitoryu was the only person I could address with that sentence :P
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Mechtaur

• The Beast
  • Ladies, contain your orgasms.
« Reply #9370 on: July 15, 2014, 05:23:42 am »

I do.  In fact I probaby give Christianity a harder time than Islam simply because, being born and raised in a Christian country, I know far more about Chrisitanity and have far more dealings with Christians,  but I have equal disdain for all the Abrahamic religions (my ignorance regarding other world religions prevents me from reasonably having strong feeling either way about them, although I suspect many would seem just as silly to me at the very least).

For dickery and other reasons, I'm curious. You claim to have an equal disdain of all Abrahamic religions. So, how much do you know about Bahai and Druze?

Art Vandelay

« Reply #9371 on: July 15, 2014, 05:45:03 am »
I just noticed I mistook Katsuro for Ultimate Paragon. Well, whoopsie daisy, I guess.

Offline Hoplite

• The Beast
« Reply #9372 on: July 15, 2014, 05:47:59 am »
I always thought that Dawkins, Hitchens, Dennett and Harris might be a little too hard on religion, in that there are non-violent practitioners of religions. But in looking at the sum effect of religion on a global scale, in current-day settings, I am not so sure now. Maybe Plato was entirely correct in his Cave analogy in that these Four Horsemen of the Anti-Apocalypse are doing these people a huge favor in trying to drag them out of the cave into the sunlight.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 05:51:58 am by Hoplite »
Good luck is nothing but being in shape to act with the universe when the universe says, "Now!" - John Gardner, The Sunlight Dialogues

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #9373 on: July 15, 2014, 08:08:09 am »

For dickery and other reasons, I'm curious. You claim to have an equal disdain of all Abrahamic religions. So, how much do you know about Bahai and Druze?

Well the 3 big ones and their sub sects then...you knew what I meant Mr Pedantic (and by "Mr Pedantic" I of course mean "Mr Completely Right With a Valid Point)  :P

I thought Bahai's considered themselves separate from the main Abrahamic religions anyway, even if they technically aren't and are kind of a sect of Shia Islam (emphasis on the "kind of")? Or am I confusing it with something else?

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #9374 on: July 15, 2014, 08:10:48 am »
I just noticed I mistook Katsuro for Ultimate Paragon. Well, whoopsie daisy, I guess.

I would say this but surely we're not very similar at all?  Or am I so bland and lacking in personality I can be mistaken for and swapped with anyone else lol?  Wait...don't answer that second one lol.